You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-20 22:04:13

RedScare

Advantages of using proprietary driver

If I am not using compiz effects, is there any advantage to running the nvidia proprietary driver vs the free one? I'm guessing the most graphically intensive stuff I do is running photoshop in VMware and some elaborate screensavers?

Incidentally I wouldn't mind a desktop cube with dwm, but I guess that goes against the project's philosophy, and I'm fine with that.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

#2 2009-09-20 23:20:12

sand_man

Re: Advantages of using proprietary driver

I haven't actually tried the open source driver but I can only assume its performance doesn't even compare to the proprietary one.
Unless you are against using a closed source driver, you should just used the nvidia one. It is always under development and is getting better all the time. The opensource one, I have no idea.

neutral

#3 2009-09-21 02:10:01

masterkoppa

The only reason you should choose the Open-Source vs the propietary is for: Software Philosophy or Lack of support from the Propietary. The main reason people use the open source drivers is due to old hardware still being supported.

Performance wise the propietary is ussually alot better (ATI ones not so much). If you are using nvidia use the propietary since its 10X better. Otherwise I invite you to see what the opensource has to offer, youll be surprised of the progress these modules have made over the years.

Last edited by masterkoppa (2009-09-21 02:10:18)

#4 2009-09-21 02:21:26

RedScare

Alright, thanks. I just figured that maybe the open-source drivers were better at simple graphics (as they suck at 3d smile ).

Thank you very much.

Board footer