You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-20 22:28:26

hdhiman

Issues relating Pulseaudio and gnome events sounds

Hi,
I installed archlinux with the beginners guide, and used alsa for sound.
However, i was not able to get audio from multiple applications, for example audacious and youtube, working together. Usually, this is the case:
a) If a music player is already working, and i use firefox-youtube, youtube has no sound and firefox crashes.
b) If i play youtube video first, and use a music player afterwards, the music player hangs and does not play sound.

I installed pulseaudio to get rid of the problem, however, the problem still remains the same. I've followed the pulseaudio guide on wiki. I cannot get multiple applications to get sound output.:/

Another issue (i don't know if it is related) is that my gnome sounds don't work. Even when i go to volume control and click on gnome sounds, there is no playback, and even after enabling "enable window and button sounds" , there's no sound.:(

Thanks!

#2 2009-09-20 23:18:01

hdhiman

Re: Issues relating Pulseaudio and gnome events sounds

Maybe i didn't phrase my problems properly.
By multiple applications, i mean that i cannot use two applications to use the sound card at the same time. It works perfectly in Ubuntu, which also uses the pulseaudio driver.

The second problem is quite clear i think...the gnome sounds are not working.

#3 2009-09-21 02:01:35

hdhiman

Hi,
Quick update,
i installed flashsupport-plugin-pulse, and now atleast the firefox problem is solved. I have sound in both my music and flash videos.:)

Now for the problem with gnome-sounds....
why arent' they working? I've already linked the esd with pulse audio, as told in the tutorial. hmm

#4 2009-09-21 02:19:05

ugkbunb

I had similiar issues... I could never track them down and get it to work 100% of the time... if you get tired like I did... try purging your computer of pulseaudio and try out OSSv4... it works great for me out of the box with no setup.

#5 2009-09-21 03:20:42

hdhiman

Hi,
Thanks ugkbunb! I followed what you said, i purged pulseaudio, and suddenly all sounds started working!! So for now i didn't have to install oss.
Thanks for the help anyways:D

#6 2009-09-21 04:22:26

ugkbunb

^^
hehe... prob means you have alsa installed/working -- if it works why mess with it : )

Board footer