You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-20 23:15:13

mrpigfeed

[SOLVED] Wireless Issues

I've been using autowifi for the longest time to manage my wifi, and its been working perfectly.

However, I go to rebuild my system (various reasons), and I find out that autowifi has been deprecated ( -.- ) and isn't available anymore.

I'm trying to set up my networking in rc.conf, and I think I've narrowed down my problem fairly well -

On an unencrypted network,

wlan_wlan0="wlan0 essid SSID"

works perfectly.

However, I have a WEP encrypted network that I need to be accessing...

What I had to do in autowifi was set the authentication to "shared" (and key to 2), but for the life of me I cannot figure how to do this using iwconfig...

(I use key [2] xxxx-xx..., but I'm still not convinced that's working, so Im adding that to my question.)

Any help would be appreciated - after a day of googling, I'm worn out.

(I might add I have a Netgear WG311 wireless pci card)

Last edited by mrpigfeed (2009-09-21 23:12:22)

#2 2009-09-20 23:41:06

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Wireless Issues

Your syntax is correct - check man iwconfig for full details.

When you get it working manually, have a look at netcfg for automating it.

#3 2009-09-20 23:49:05

mrpigfeed

First, thanks a bunch for the speedy reply!

Well, my syntax may be correct, but something's not clicking D: .

When I use the line in rc.conf

wlan_wlan0 = "wlan0 essid MySSID key [1] xxxx-xxxx-xxxx..."

DHCPCD times out, and then iwconfig outputs that I'm connected to the SSID, but I have no IP served up.

I'm really thinking the problem is that it's not using a shared key (As I said, that fixed the problem in autowifi).

(As I'm kind of a newb, I know I'm probably completely wrong here, but I'm doing my best big_smile )

#4 2009-09-21 01:53:40

hack.augusto

try to increase the timeout with "-t <time_in_secs>" in you /etc/conf.d/dhcpd

Last edited by hack.augusto (2009-09-21 01:54:29)

#5 2009-09-21 05:43:46

tomk
Forum Fellow

tomk wrote:

When you get it working manually...

By "manually", I meant issue the appropriate iwconfig command, check if it succeeded, then continue with the dhcpcd command.

#6 2009-09-21 20:04:11

mrpigfeed

EDIT: FINALLY! The autowifi pkg was uploaded to another mirror, so my problems are completely solved big_smile

For anyone who may want to use autowifi as well, it is now hosted here for the time being.

Sorry for being nitpicky, but that's the thing - I can't get it working manually OR through rc.conf (which to my understanding is basically the same as manually).

I can connect to a nonsecure network manually (as well as via rc.conf), but I need to be connecting to a WEP secured network.

#iwconfig wlan0 essid MySSID key [1] xxx-xxx
#dhcpcd wlan0

does NOT work for the WEP network. I can't get an IP served up, and I think it's something to do with not using a shared key.

iwconfig wlan0 essid MySSID key restricted [2] xxxx-xxxx

does not work either.

After a little more research, the command "iwpriv" seems in some way relevant, but it's not working for me either.

(Really the best solution [for me] would be to some way get Autowifi to work, but I still cannot find any way to do that.)

Last edited by mrpigfeed (2009-09-21 23:13:46)

Board footer