You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-23 08:48:19

nggalai
Website

GNOME: Application Menu loses entries

Hi there,

When editing an entry in the Applications menu (say, changing the icon), the entry disappears. Custom application launchers aren't listed in the Applications menu, either, not even after restarting the panel or quitting / logging in GNOME 2.8.

All launchers, both edited and custom ones, are available in applications:/// mind.

Where exactly does the Applications menu get its entries?

-Sascha.rb

P.S. People with the same problem

#2 2005-01-25 08:22:35

nggalai
Website

Re: GNOME: Application Menu loses entries

From the linked thread:

johoe wrote:

This is how I can make entries to the Applications menu again: the .desktop file has to contain the lines below. When I add a menuentry with the "Add new item to this menu" I get a .desktop file in ~/.gnome2/vfolders/applications. This .desktop file is missing the "Categories:" line and contains a line "TryExec:" I have to delete the "TryExec" line and insert a "Categories:" line (see sample below) then I copy this .desktop file to the /usr/share/applications directory and the menu entry will appear. No need to set any permissions! Hope this is a workaround for you other guys too!

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Skype
Comment=Skyped
Exec=/home/joho/skype-0.93.0.3/skype
Icon=/home/joho/skype-0.93.0.3/icons/skype_32_32.png
Terminal=0
Type=Application
--insert: Categories=Network;Application;
--delete: TryExec=

I wonder whether XFCE4 is somehow to blame? Wasn't there something about XFCE "destroying" KDE menus? Am I really the only one here who encountered this problem?

/Edit: The gentoo forums claim glib2 is the problem ...

-Sascha.rb

#3 2005-01-27 02:15:37

sully748

i just installed xfce4.2 and now my gnome panel doesn't not want to function properly

#4 2005-02-10 06:52:26

nggalai
Website

Friend of mine stumbled over a workaround / solution:

When creating or editing a launcher, check the "Advanced" tab. If "Try this before using" is left empty, the launcher will not appear in the menu. If you type in something like "true" (no quotes), it is shown.

-Sascha.rb

#5 2005-02-11 18:02:08

rudi
Website

Now there is an update available that fixes the menu bug big_smile (at least it worked on my system):

gnome-common (2.8.0-5 -> 2.8.0-6)
upgraded gnome-panel (2.8.2-1 -> 2.8.2-2)
upgraded gnome-themes-extras (0.8.0-3 -> 0.8.1-1)

Brian: You don't need to follow me. You don't need to follow anybody! You've got to think for yourselves. You're all individuals!
Crowd: Yes, we're all individuals!

Board footer