You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-28 03:42:13

contrasutra

Freetype and patents

I just updated Freetype and I noticed that you guys included the Bytecode patch.

Now, I was under the impression that this was illegal in the Unites States. I know you guys are Canandian, but im sure there are some yanks here.

Anyway, I dont care too much (screw Apple), but I think you should give some sort of warning to people. I dont think its fair to possibly make people liable without giving them notice.

Thanks.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#2 2003-08-28 17:14:55

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Re: Freetype and patents

Quite true.  But if you're really worried about that, you'll need to modify the freetype1 package as well.  This will make your fonts a good bit uglier, I'd guess.

Is FreeType 1 affected by the patents ?

The answer is yes, for each default build of FreeType 1 (from 1.0 to the latest 1.3.1). Since this library was written well before the "discovery" of the Apple patents, it comes with a built-in and complete TrueType bytecode interpreter. It should thus only be used with a license from Apple.

Note however that since release 1.3, this version of the library allows you to disable the bytecode interpreter entirely. The resulting glyphs will not be hinted and be of poor quality, but this makes the library still useful for a number of programs like font converters.

If you're at all concerned about these patents, then read the following page and make up your own minds.  If you choose to go the "legal" route, then you'll need to patch freetype1 and un-patch freetype2 to disable their respective bytecode interpreters.

http://www.freetype.org/patents.html

I don't believe Apple has sued anybody yet, so I'm personally not very concerned.  Don't lose a lot of sleep over it or anything, contrasutra.

#3 2003-08-28 17:50:13

contrasutra

Re: Freetype and patents

Nah, im leaving it enabled, I really don't care.

I just figured some people would like a warning.

Then again, technically Linux may be illegal.  wink

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

Board footer