You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-19 01:46:40

vinoman2
Website

Frostwire does not work

I recently installed Frostwire and have downloaded a few songs. Lately when I see it's not connecting, I try to shut it down, but it won't shut down. What causes that? Am I missing some files?

Last edited by vinoman2 (2009-09-20 14:59:34)

#2 2009-09-20 14:02:47

vinoman2
Website

Re: Frostwire does not work

Nobody here uses Frostwire? I'll uninstall it and try again at another time.

#3 2009-09-20 14:35:35

jac
Website

I use it and that same thing used to happen to me when I ran KDEmod. Trying to close it with the 'x' or with file->close only minimized it. I never really figured out why it did it or how to fix it; it simply became a moot point once I switched over to xmonad.

Out of curiosity, are you using Sun's JDK or OpenJDK? I'm using OpenJDK and have no idea if switching to Sun's JDK will help anything. Please let me know if reinstalling it helps anything, too.

#4 2009-09-20 14:44:40

vinoman2
Website

I unistalled it for now, but maybe its the java I'm using that is causing the problem. I'm using Open JDk. Can I install Sun's JDK and still keep the other? I've used Frostwire on three other distros and have always used Sun's. I bet that's the reason for this problem.

#5 2009-09-20 14:57:57

vinoman2
Website

I installed sun jre and jdk. I asks to read license and say OK but there's no place to say yes or OK to the license, I installed Frostwire again and it still can't connect.

What am I missing?

#6 2009-09-20 15:09:14

jac
Website

I'm not sure how you would go about installing both Sun's JDK and OpenJDK. I'm also not sure about the connection problem, mine connects just fine after switching JDKs. Though, I'm pretty sure it's a configuration problem now. My frostwire had the exact same problem with Sun's JDK until I removed the configuration directory. I don't know which part of it is the culprit, though.

#7 2009-09-20 15:18:56

vinoman2
Website

jac wrote:

I'm not sure how you would go about installing both Sun's JDK and OpenJDK. I'm also not sure about the connection problem, mine connects just fine after switching JDKs. Though, I'm pretty sure it's a configuration problem now. My frostwire had the exact same problem with Sun's JDK until I removed the configuration directory. I don't know which part of it is the culprit, though.

when installing the sun jdk it removed the open jdk.

#8 2009-09-20 15:29:49

jac
Website

vinoman2 wrote:

when installing the sun jdk it removed the open jdk.

That's why I said I don't know how to install both of them, like you had wanted.

Also, I'm afraid I've tried everything within my knowledge, hopefully someone else will be able to aid you more. You only have a problem with connecting now, right?

#9 2009-09-20 15:33:07

vinoman2
Website

it does finally connect but when you try to select and download a song it stays in Queded and does nothing. So Frostwire is still not functioning.

#10 2009-09-22 08:59:47

foutrelis
Developer
Website

jac wrote:

I use it and that same thing used to happen to me when I ran KDEmod. Trying to close it with the 'x' or with file->close only minimized it. I never really figured out why it did it or how to fix it; it simply became a moot point once I switched over to xmonad.

There is a relevant section in the options. The settings displayed are the default and could explain the behavior you experienced in KDEmod.

Edit: @vinoman2: Have a look at the suggestions posted on the other thread and reply with any results here.

Last edited by foutrelis (2009-09-22 11:15:08)

#11 2009-09-22 11:50:31

vinoman2
Website

I reinstalled openJDk and Frostwire, this time I ran frostwire in the terminal first and opened and connected right away.
But I didn't get the normal setup wizard. I did download a song.

later opend again Frostwire again and this time it says starting connection, but does nothing. Then when I try to shut it down and minimized button stays but won't close.

but I get this:

[davek@arch64 ~]$ frostwire
python: can't open file '/usr/lib/frostwire/unpack200.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
HOSTNAME IS arch64
Starting FrostWire...
Java exec found in PATH. Verifying...
Suitable java version found [java = 1.6.0_0]
Configuring environment...
Loading FrostWire:
CLASSPATH SET TO: :./httpcore-niossl-4.0-alpha7.jar:./commons-logging.jar:./log4j.jar:./ProgressTabs.jar:./guice-1.0.jar:./junit.jar:./jcraft.jar:./clink.jar:./icu4j.jar:./mp3spi.jar:./httpcore-4.0-beta2.jar:./messages.jar:./tritonus.jar:./jogg.jar:./jaudiotagger.jar:./aopalliance.jar:./jmdns.jar:./jorbis.jar:./looks.jar:./gettext-commons.jar:./foxtrot.jar:./FrostWire.jar:./jdic.jar:./commons-codec-1.3.jar:./themes.jar:./jl.jar:./forms.jar:./jdic_stub.jar:./jython.jar:./lw-all.jar:./onion-common.jar:./onion-fec.jar:./jflac.jar:./httpclient-4.0-alpha3.jar:./httpcore-nio-4.0-beta2.jar:./vorbisspi.jar:./daap.jar
[davek@arch64 ~]$

python: can't open file '/usr/lib/frostwire/unpack200.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

this could be the problem. how to correct this?

Last edited by vinoman2 (2009-09-22 12:13:38)

#12 2009-10-04 21:38:27

vinoman2
Website

Frostwire has been connecting and downloading songs, but it still can't close out and disconnect. I just sits in the taskbar and doesn't go away until I log out or shutdown.

What causes this? How can I fix this?

#13 2009-10-05 14:22:40

foutrelis
Developer
Website

vinoman2 wrote:

Frostwire has been connecting and downloading songs, but it still can't close out and disconnect. I just sits in the taskbar and doesn't go away until I log out or shutdown.

Have you changed the settings I referred to on post #10?

#14 2009-10-05 14:24:45

vinoman2
Website

foutrelis wrote:
vinoman2 wrote:

Have you changed the settings I referred to on post #10?

I'm running Gnome and don't use KDEmod so I did think it pertains to my situation. I'll check it out anyway.

...my version has slightly different choice than your screenshot, but I set it to shut donw immediately and its now shutting down. Great. Thanks.

Last edited by vinoman2 (2009-10-05 14:30:22)

#15 2009-11-01 14:22:54

vinoman2
Website

I tried to use Frostwire again after a couple weeks and I can't connect. I then installed Frostwire on my other PC with Ubuntu 9.10 and it installed and connected is two minutes.

What does Ubuntu do that Arch doesn't to get Frostwire to work? So far nobody has come up with a solution that works.

Until then I'll use Ubuntu for Frostwire.

#16 2009-11-01 20:12:48

foutrelis
Developer
Website

I am not able to reproduce any connection issues at all.

Ubuntu doesn't appear to have frostwire in its repos. If you installed it from getdeb.net, the only difference I can see in their packaging is that they use a fancier start-up script. Other than that, we (Arch and getdeb.net) both use the same upstream build.

You also mention that frostwire on Ubuntu connected in two minutes. On my Arch installation, it takes no more than 10 seconds to reach "Turbo-Charged Connection" status. Could this be indication of network/other issues? Maybe. hmm

Have a look at the "Advanced" section in the options. Also, try deleting the ".frostwire4.18" directory inside your home directory in order to start with a clean configuration.

#17 2009-11-02 00:22:10

vinoman2
Website

foutrelis wrote:

I am not able to reproduce any connection issues at all.

Ubuntu doesn't appear to have frostwire in its repos. If you installed it from getdeb.net, the only difference I can see in their packaging is that they use a fancier start-up script. Other than that, we (Arch and getdeb.net) both use the same upstream build.

You also mention that frostwire on Ubuntu connected in two minutes. On my Arch installation, it takes no more than 10 seconds to reach "Turbo-Charged Connection" status. Could this be indication of network/other issues? Maybe. hmm

Have a look at the "Advanced" section in the options. Also, try deleting the ".frostwire4.18" directory inside your home directory in order to start with a clean configuration.

What I meant by two minutes is installing Frostwire and then connecting. I was guessing.

I did install Frostwire from their site. And it was installed with getdeb.

I'll look at Advanced section. I has connected sometimes, but its inconsistent. I haven't has it happen with Ubuntu or Mandriva, just Arch.

#18 2009-11-02 12:02:34

vinoman2
Website

I checked the Advanced section and I see nothing that needs to be changed and I deleted the ./frostwire4.18 file and it created a new one, but I still can't connect!

Many of you have tried to help and I thank you, but I give up on this one.

If I need to use Frostwire I will use Ubuntu. sad

Last edited by vinoman2 (2009-11-02 12:41:39)

Board footer