You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-22 13:10:11

samjh
Website

CUPS problem - adding and deleting printers, rogue printer

This is a new problem for me.  My system is Arch x64_64 running KDE 4.3.1, connected to a Brother HL-1440 via USB.

Until tonight, the system had no problems with my printer setup.  I have been using the CUPS web interface.

However, tonight I found that my KDE system setting applet would not show my printer, even though it existed as late as this afternoon.  I launched the CUPS web interface and attempted to add a printer, which it did correctly, except I also found another unnamed printer, called {printer_name} already there, alongside the "new" printer I had just added.  When I tried to delete {printer_name}, the web interface returned "Error: printer or class could not be found".

I attempted to remove it by editing /etc/cups/printers.conf but the file did not have {printer_name}.  It was actually Brother_HL-1440, while the "new" printer I had just added was Brother_HL-1440_USB_1.  Very strange.  Even though I deleted the rogue printer from the file, the CUPS web interface still reported it as existing.  So I deleted both pritners from /etc/cups/printers.conf, but when I opened the web interface again, it still said there was a printer, but it would not show it.  When I searched for it by name, there was no result.  In the Printers section of the web interface, it merely said "showing 0 of 1 printer", where I assume that the 1 printer is the rogue printer.

I just can't get my head around this ridiculous problem.  Is there another configuration file, or is this a problem with CUPS?  Could anyone please help?

Board footer