You are not logged in.

#76 2009-09-20 21:14:17

BurntSushi
Website

Re: PyTyle: Manual tiling manager for EWMH compliant WM's

jorpheus wrote:

Did so. And I do understand you'd like to make this WM agnostic as possible, since not everyone uses OB.

Yeah, I'm not even certain that Openbox reports those margins anywhere. I don't think it's part of the EWMH spec (unless they incorporate it into the workarea defined by EWMH).

jorpheus wrote:

Okay, I thought you used 'screen' in the first sense, but then there's this: there is screen_focus and screen_put - and if screen_put is moving the window to another workspace, it doesn't work (for me) - of course, I have this configured in OB and that works just fine, so I just commented out those lines, so this is either clarification for future reference or a bug report.

No.

The widely accepted definition of "screen" is a separate X Screen- meaning, you have two different sessions of X running simultaneously. Before the Xinerama extension became available, this was the only way to use multiple monitors with the X Window System. The drawback is that you can't move windows between your monitors.

I'm using the word "screen" as a separate physical monitor using Xinerama.

PyTyle has nothing to do with moving windows between workspaces/desktops/viewports. That's done with the window manager.

PyTyle provides a mechanism to move windows and focus between physical monitors using Xinerama.

If you have only one screen, then the "screen_put" and "screen_focus" commands won't do anything. You can keep them commented out or not. Either way, it won't affect you (performance or otherwise- except for a few extra key bindings). They have nothing to do with workspaces.

Sorry for the confusion! smile

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

#77 2009-09-20 21:23:44

zodmaner

Try out the new version and things have been working great so far.

Nothing to say here except thank you for all the hard work, BurntSushi. smile

#78 2009-09-21 00:12:51

jorpheus

BurntSushi wrote:

Yeah, I'm not even certain that Openbox reports those margins anywhere.

Well, they're in rc.xml, but that would get real messy real fast.

BurntSushi wrote:

Sorry for the confusion! smile

Okay, so it's clarification - thank you for explaining smile

#79 2009-09-23 12:12:54

hardcore

hi,

how can i remove this spaces between the windows?? :-(
http://omploader.org/vMmVvNA

greetings,
hardcore

#80 2009-09-23 12:41:47

BurntSushi
Website

hardcore wrote:

hi,

greetings,
hardcore

What terminal are you using?

It appears you aren't using decorations, so make sure both "decorations" and "original_decor" are set to False in your configuration file. (Note: "original_decor" was added in 0.7.4- see the CHANGELOG posted above.)

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

#81 2009-09-24 08:01:56

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

I am running Openbox and have installed python and the python x library. However, when I try and run pytyle for the first time I get this error:

X protocol error:
<class 'Xlib.error.BadAccess'>: code = 10, resource_id = 285, sequence_number = 71, major_opcode = 33, minor_opcode = 0
X protocol error:
<class 'Xlib.error.BadAccess'>: code = 10, resource_id = 285, sequence_number = 72, major_opcode = 33, minor_opcode = 0
X protocol error:
<class 'Xlib.error.BadAccess'>: code = 10, resource_id = 285, sequence_number = 73, major_opcode = 33, minor_opcode = 0
X protocol error:
<class 'Xlib.error.BadAccess'>: code = 10, resource_id = 285, sequence_number = 74, major_opcode = 33, minor_opcode = 0

Have I missed something obvious?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#82 2009-09-24 09:49:20

hardcore

BurntSushi wrote:
hardcore wrote:

hi,

greetings,
hardcore

What terminal are you using?

It appears you aren't using decorations, so make sure both "decorations" and "original_decor" are set to False in your configuration file. (Note: "original_decor" was added in 0.7.4- see the CHANGELOG posted above.)

i'm using rxvt-unicode and if i write urxvt.borderLess: true in .Xdefaults i have no border but spaces between the terms.

#83 2009-09-24 13:31:06

BurntSushi
Website

hardcore wrote:

i'm using rxvt-unicode and if i write urxvt.borderLess: true in .Xdefaults i have no border but spaces between the terms.

See post #44 inside this thread.

jasonwryan wrote:

I am running Openbox and have installed python and the python x library. However, when I try and run pytyle for the first time I get this error:

X protocol error:
<class 'Xlib.error.BadAccess'>: code = 10, resource_id = 285, sequence_number = 71, major_opcode = 33, minor_opcode = 0
X protocol error:
<class 'Xlib.error.BadAccess'>: code = 10, resource_id = 285, sequence_number = 72, major_opcode = 33, minor_opcode = 0
X protocol error:
<class 'Xlib.error.BadAccess'>: code = 10, resource_id = 285, sequence_number = 73, major_opcode = 33, minor_opcode = 0
X protocol error:
<class 'Xlib.error.BadAccess'>: code = 10, resource_id = 285, sequence_number = 74, major_opcode = 33, minor_opcode = 0

Have I missed something obvious?

Ah, it looks like PyTyle is trying to bind some keys that are already bound. Unfortunately, I haven't really gotten around to including useful error messages, so you might have to manually investigate which keys are bound by Openbox in rc.xml.

#84 2009-09-24 22:01:12

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Thanks BurntSushi - reassigning shortcuts in pytylerc sorted it out.

It's a great little app!

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#85 2009-09-26 11:26:09

x0rg

Is it possible that PyTyle leaves some gaps between the tiled apps, so that I can better tell them apart?

Last edited by x0rg (2009-09-27 18:13:51)

#86 2009-09-26 17:26:03

BurntSushi
Website

x0rg wrote:

Is it possible that PyTyle leaves some gaps between the tiled apps, so tha I can better tell them apart?

You want gaps between apps?

Hmm, no, there aren't any options to do that now. But I'll add it in. Check back here soon.

#87 2009-09-26 18:01:34

x0rg

BurntSushi wrote:
x0rg wrote:

Is it possible that PyTyle leaves some gaps between the tiled apps, so tha I can better tell them apart?

You want gaps between apps?

Yeah, It should look roughly like this

#88 2009-09-27 09:41:06

nblock
Website

Hi,
i discovered pytyle today and it looks really cool. However, i can't change the focus (using ALT-[k,j]) on kde:
Qt: 4.5.2
KDE: 4.3.1 (KDE 4.3.1)
KWin: 4.3.1 (KDE 4.3.1)
pytyle: 0.7.4-1

Am i something missing here?

Are there some problems with flickering when doing pytyle-related stuff (resize, cycling through windows…) under kwin?

thanks for the app!

Last edited by nblock (2009-09-27 09:42:55)

#89 2009-09-27 16:23:24

BurntSushi
Website

nblock wrote:

Hi,
i discovered pytyle today and it looks really cool. However, i can't change the focus (using ALT-[k,j]) on kde:
Qt: 4.5.2
KDE: 4.3.1 (KDE 4.3.1)
KWin: 4.3.1 (KDE 4.3.1)
pytyle: 0.7.4-1

Am i something missing here?

Are there some problems with flickering when doing pytyle-related stuff (resize, cycling through windows…) under kwin?

thanks for the app!

Yeah, KWin isn't exactly ideal.

I've tested it a little bit, and it seems switching focus only works for some windows. (Try having just three Konsole windows open.)

And yes, as far as flickering goes, that's probably the desktop effects. (Especially wobbly windows.)

Honestly, you're best bet for tiling on KWin that is actually usable would be kwin-tiling. (Can also see a screencast here.)

#90 2009-09-28 05:22:04

nblock
Website

Thx for the info.
Hopefully kwin-tiling is integrated soon…

Anyway, i will test pytyle anytime soon, because it really looks like a cool piece of software!

#91 2009-09-28 13:17:20

kgas

BurntSushi, thanks for this good work. It nicely work with the open box setup and you delayed my decision to try a true tilling WM smile

#92 2009-10-05 23:08:39

Wintervenom

I have another idea:  I think it could be useful if PyTyle could set the opacity of active and inactive windows, a la Xfwm.  This could solve the issue of determining which window is active when the title bar is not enabled.

Last edited by Wintervenom (2009-10-05 23:16:59)

#93 2009-10-05 23:47:02

moljac024

Wintervenom wrote:

I have another idea:  I think it could be useful if PyTyle could set the opacity of active and inactive windows, a la Xfwm.  This could solve the issue of determining which window is active when the title bar is not enabled.

That's pretty much best left to the window manager, don't you think ?

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#94 2009-10-20 07:46:29

cephalopoid

Hello BurntSushi,

I love Pytyle, it's awesome. It's just the functionality I wanted to add to fluxbox. It made my journey to tiling much quicker and painless than planned, as I was about to try radical things as ratpoison or other tiling wm's, but now I can just use fb and use keyboardshortcuts to determine whether I want to have it tiled or not.

I do have a feature request, though, I would like to have 4 or 9 equally sized windows on a screen. I.e., I want to use xterm and vim for editing stuff and general bash usage, and I'd like to have 4 equally sized windows filling up the screen. I thought that, in formula, it should be something like this:
((resolution x[ - dock/panel/whatever]) : {4,9}) = width of window
((resolution y[ - dock/panel/whatever]) : {4,9}) = height of window
{...,...} denotes 'or', [...] denotes optional(or in fact, it can be 0 when it is zero, when there is no dock or panel)

Resolution should be detected or something. I'm sure you've figured that out already, being much more experienced in coding than me, and daving experience with Xlibs.

Thanks for coding it for us.

Cephalopoid

#95 2009-10-20 12:20:33

BurntSushi
Website

cephalopoid,

I'm glad you're enjoying PyTyle so far!

Have you tried "increasing master count" (by default, Alt-period) to get 4 equally sized windows? (It will be a grid.)

If I'm misunderstanding you, then I think the best thing to do would be to arrange your windows manually to the layout you're requesting and take a screenshot. That way, we're definitely on the same page.

Thanks!

Last edited by BurntSushi (2009-10-20 12:21:07)

#96 2009-10-20 18:11:25

cephalopoid

index.php?mode=image&id=68557

Here's an example of a 9x9 setup. It's on the second head. I did it by forcing fluxbox to "remember" the width and height of my xterm windows. There's a margin on the bottom and right side, because pixels can't be divided.

Imagine the same with a 4x4 raster and you have ane of my wm wet dreams caught inside your imagination.

Like,

__ __
|__|__|
|__|__|

Sure it can all be done by hand, but that's what computers are for - automatation.

Cheers, Cephalopoid

Last edited by cephalopoid (2009-10-21 16:23:36)

#97 2009-10-21 20:41:39

cephalopoid

Just tested what you said, adding a master, and it gives me a nice grid with 4 terminals, but theyre not of equal size. I just thought it would be nice to have a perfectly automatic "split your screen in 4" thing.

#98 2009-10-26 07:50:28

LonelyStar

Hi,

I tried pytyle today - it is just awesome. I come from musca.
But I like muscas way of tiling most. Manual Tiling!

Basicly you have keys to split the screen vertical and horizontal, to change ratio and to undo the last split.

That would be cool in pytile!

Regards,
Nathan

#99 2009-10-26 08:32:58

LonelyStar

Hey,

I got another thought!
Sometimes a tiling WM is not so cool, but a stacking wm is not enough. It would be cool to have some "tiling helper functions", like:
- resize current window to free area
- resize all windows under current window to make space
- other similar things I am not thinking of right now ...

What do you think? This would give some advantages of tiling, while still leaving much control by the user ...

Regards,
Nathan

#100 2009-10-26 11:29:16

BurntSushi
Website

LonelyStar,

Have you look at all the features of PyTyle? Besides perhaps unilateral resizing of any window, everything you said is available to you in PyTyle. See http://pytyle.com. (Or I'm misunderstanding you.)

@cephalopoid - I haven't forgotten about you, just been very busy lately!

Last edited by BurntSushi (2009-10-26 11:29:52)

Board footer