You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-25 14:00:29

ataraxia

lightweight music tag/comment editor of choice?

I've been using easytag for a long time for my library of vorbis files, and recently I've gotten tired of dealing with its problems. It's slow, buggy, unmaintained upstream, has some odd design decisions, and has a UI that appears to have been created by a Martian. What it has going for it: it mostly actually works, and can handle some really complex cases.

What else have I found?

tagtool - Much simpler and lighter than easytag. Much less featureful. Also unmaintained upstream - its website has disappeared. The leading contender to replace easytag.

Goggles Music Manager - Includes player functionality and makes its own database, so no thanks. Tagger only, please.

Ex Falso - Comes only with the full Quod Libet installation, so not lightweight.

Picard - Really targeted at Musicbrainz access. Requires Qt, so not lightweight.

ncmpcpp - What I already use to actually play music, so a big plus there. Runs in a terminal - a HUGE plus. Really not a bad tagger, but just a little bit underpowered - no mass-tagging capabilities. If it had that, it would be perfect.

various KDE or GNOME apps - Almost by definition, the opposite of what I'm looking for.

The "do it yourself" option - Lots of work, and probably the best way ever to screw up all my metadata. lol

So, what else can people here suggest for me? Lightweight, not creating databases, not having player functionality, and preferably running in a terminal. What are you using yourselves (whether I'd like it or not)?

#2 2009-09-25 14:13:11

lolilolicon

Re: lightweight music tag/comment editor of choice?

audiotag in AUR maybe? It's simply a perl script wrapper for various CLI taggers. For me, the only thing it lacks is searching from internet databases.

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#3 2009-09-25 19:55:20

AngryKoala

Goggles modifies the file too if you check the box, but it is the full blown player so you have to take the whole thing =/

and I second audiotag

#4 2009-09-25 20:20:36

Rasi
Website

picard might have qt as a dependency, but you wont find anything better. Its integrated scripting language makes picard more powerful than any other tagger out there - even without musicbrainz, which is not needed to use picard at all. It just speeds things up quite a lot. picard uses the scripts for tagging/renaming/guessing from filename...

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#5 2009-09-26 01:00:47

unK

ncmpcpp - What I already use to actually play music, so a big plus there. Runs in a terminal - a HUGE plus. Really not a bad tagger, but just a little bit underpowered - no mass-tagging capabilities. If it had that, it would be perfect.

What do you mean by mass tagging? Ncmpcpp already can edit tags of multiple songs at once, parse filenames, rename files etc., but I'm open for suggestions.

#6 2009-09-26 01:37:48

ataraxia

unK wrote:

What do you mean by mass tagging? Ncmpcpp already can edit tags of multiple songs at once, parse filenames, rename files etc., but I'm open for suggestions.

I didn't realize that I could edit multiple files at once, OR that I could parse tags into or out of filenames. I know it now. Looks like I was sitting on a winner all along. Nice!

Just about the only thing I can't figure out how to do with it is to rename files including changing the directories they are in. Something like using a rename pattern of "%a/%b/%n.%t". Trying that behaves as if I'd written "%a%b%n.%t". Ideally, subdirectories created by this process would be relative to mpd_music_dir, rather than to the current directory the files are in.

Board footer