You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-19 06:03:43

opothehippo

Simple XMonad Wallpaper

There was a cool haskell background in the screenshot thread, and I decided to make essentially the same thing except with a XMonad logo.

xmonad.th.png

I made the background the specific color #161616 to match with my xmobar and terminal colors. If anyone wants a different background color or color scheme in general, just go ahead and ask. Its not too difficult to change.

Heres a pic of it on my desk:

xmwallshot.th.png

Arch x86_64 | XMonad

#2 2009-09-19 06:09:44

zowki
Website

Re: Simple XMonad Wallpaper

opothehippo wrote:

There was a cool haskell background in the screenshot thread, and I decided to make essentially the same thing except with a XMonad logo.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4338/xmonad.th.png

I made the background the specific color #161616 to match with my xmobar and terminal colors. If anyone wants a different background color or color scheme in general, just go ahead and ask. Its not too difficult to change.

Heres a pic of it on my desk:

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4779/xmwallshot.th.png

This looks pretty neat.
What about a black background and green text, matrix style!

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

#3 2009-09-19 06:47:38

opothehippo

Sure.

xmonadwallmatrix.th.jpg

Arch x86_64 | XMonad

#4 2009-09-23 09:40:47

m_l

Very nice smile Would it be possible for you to make one using the xmonad logo but with default colors and another incorporating the arch logo with xmonad logo with default colors?

#5 2009-09-24 17:51:38

SpeedVin

m_l wrote:

Very nice smile Would it be possible for you to make one using the xmonad logo but with default colors and another incorporating the arch logo with xmonad logo with default colors?

I make like you said some time ago but I have one problem when I'm scaling my image in Gimp it's just resising and the quality is not good neutral

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#6 2009-09-24 18:02:26

brisbin33
Website

hey, awesome that your open to color suggestions.

my dzens use #303030, #606060, #909090, with an urgent color of #ffa824 so anything with those would be shweeet.

also, if you're really feeling generous, putting the symbol over this as opposed to the flat black would be /awesome/

if not, no worries.

#7 2009-09-24 18:10:35

SpeedVin

brisbin33 wrote:

hey, awesome that your open to color suggestions.

my dzens use #303030, #606060, #909090, with an urgent color of #ffa824 so anything with those would be shweeet.

also, if you're really feeling generous, putting the symbol over this as opposed to the flat black would be /awesome/

if not, no worries.

I will try to make it but I have question how to resize in gimp with good quality?
This is the only problem wink

#8 2009-09-24 19:10:54

SpeedVin

This is version for m_l smile
58390120.th.jpg
Next version will be for brisbin33.

Last edited by SpeedVin (2009-09-24 19:11:08)

#9 2009-09-25 00:42:56

opothehippo

@brisbin33: Thats a kickass background you provided (much more interesting.)

brisbinxmonadwall.th.png

I darkened the pattern a bit and used the pattern as a overlay for the logo. The logo also has a slight drop shadow so in doesn't look out of place (2d dimensional). I've still got the psd so if you want something changed just let me know.

@m_l:

xmonadwallarchlogo.th.png

This is what I've got so far, but I dont really like it. Could you give me more of an idea where you want the arch logo in relation to the xmonad logo? Also, would you like the default arch logo instead of the mono colored one I have right now?

@SpeedVin: The problem with resizing in gimp (or photoshop for that matter, which I'm using) is that nearly all images created in gimp are raster graphics. That means that resizing them beyond there original size/resolution will create pixelation. The solution is to use vector graphics, which requires additional software. Inkscape is a great free editor available on linux (or windows, but I prefer adobe illustrator). Check out this link for more info on vector/raster graphics.

Arch x86_64 | XMonad

#10 2009-09-25 07:33:42

m_l

SpeedVin wrote:

Nice, I do need the size to be 1920x1200 and without the jaggies wink Thank You

brisbin33 wrote:

if not, no worries.

Thanks for sharing that background smile

opothehippo wrote:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/713/bris … all.th.png

I darkened the pattern a bit and used the pattern as a overlay for the logo. The logo also has a slight drop shadow so in doesn't look out of place (2d dimensional). I've still got the psd so if you want something changed just let me know.

This one you made for brisbin33, like the background smile. Could you please use the XMonad logo from the one below?

opothehippo wrote:

@m_l:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3437/xmo … ogo.th.png

This is what I've got so far, but I dont really like it. Could you give me more of an idea where you want the arch logo in relation to the xmonad logo? Also, would you like the default arch logo instead of the mono colored one I have right now?

I have to agree, does not look right. Could you please make one with the XMonad logo on it's own? Maybe for the one using both logo's, try something like SpeedVin made. And/or make the arch logo same size as XMonad logo side by side, like you have it now. Another idea would be to make arch logo the size of the XMonad logo and place the XMonad logo inside the arch logo, on top [triangle part, the XMonad logo would need to fit inside that space of course]. Also if you could also make one set using brisbin33's background and another solid black like you have now?

Hope I'm not asking too much and if it's too much trouble, no worries. Thank You

#11 2009-09-25 07:44:05

zowki
Website

Edit: Oops posted in wrong thread!

Last edited by zowki (2009-09-25 07:45:19)

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

#12 2009-09-25 11:02:46

Taters

Woah, awesome stuff.

I redid the Haskell wallpaper with the tiled background if anyone is interested:

swahili.th.png
Pink

swahilidark.th.png
Not Pink

(didn't mean to hijack, sorry)

Last edited by Taters (2009-09-25 11:03:27)

#13 2009-09-25 11:32:17

mikesd
Website

Taters wrote:

I redid the Haskell wallpaper with the tiled background if anyone is interested:

I like it. I like it a lot. My new background.

#14 2009-09-25 13:02:28

m_l

Taters wrote:

Woah, awesome stuff.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5589/swahili.th.png
Pink

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/144/swahilidark.th.png
Not Pink

Nice haskell wallpapers. Would you happen to have them at 1920x1200?

#15 2009-09-25 13:36:16

brisbin33
Website

opothehippo wrote:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/713/bris … all.th.png

this looks _great_ man thanks a ton. 

as for the background, it's pretty sweet right? i got it from Square on the sept screenshots thread.

#16 2009-09-25 22:57:06

opothehippo

m_l wrote:

This one you made for brisbin33, like the background smile. Could you please use the XMonad logo from the one below?

mlxmonadwall1copy.th.png

m_l wrote:

I have to agree, does not look right. Could you please make one with the XMonad logo on it's own? Maybe for the one using both logo's, try something like SpeedVin made. And/or make the arch logo same size as XMonad logo side by side, like you have it now. Another idea would be to make arch logo the size of the XMonad logo and place the XMonad logo inside the arch logo, on top [triangle part, the XMonad logo would need to fit inside that space of course]. Also if you could also make one set using brisbin33's background and another solid black like you have now?

I made a couple of mockups:

idea1n.th.png
idea2.th.png
idea3.th.png
idea4.th.png

Pick one you like and give me an idea of what to change. I can polish it up a bit, and once I'm done, I'll make a version with brisbin's pattern as a background. Or, if you dont like any (I dont) just give me a new idea.

m_l wrote:

Hope I'm not asking too much and if it's too much trouble, no worries. Thank You

No problem. It something to do whenever I'm booted into windows.

Taters wrote:

Woah, awesome stuff.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5589/swahili.th.png
Pink

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/144/swahilidark.th.png
Not Pink

Sweet walls, the haskell logo is pretty awesome (its similar to the XMonad logo.) Thanks for contributing.

m_l wrote:

Nice haskell wallpapers. Would you happen to have them at 1920x1200?

The problem is the pattern originally given, which was 1920x1080. Heres some 1920x1200 versions:

haskellwallresized.th.png
haskellwallgrayresized.th.png

For future use, heres the pattern except in a 1920x1200 resolution: http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6044/p … esized.png

Arch x86_64 | XMonad

#17 2009-09-26 07:25:03

SpeedVin

opothehippo wrote:

@SpeedVin: The problem with resizing in gimp (or photoshop for that matter, which I'm using) is that nearly all images created in gimp are raster graphics. That means that resizing them beyond there original size/resolution will create pixelation. The solution is to use vector graphics, which requires additional software. Inkscape is a great free editor available on linux (or windows, but I prefer adobe illustrator). Check out this link for more info on vector/raster graphics.

Thanks for advice I will try to work with Inkscape , but I have two questions.
1.When I try change the size of my file/wall created in gimp (raster graphics) and save the queality of image is only a little better , then that's mean I have to draw my new image in Inkscape (vector graphcips)?
2.Do you know how to save image as jpg or png I tryed option:
Export as bitmap
But I can't set this as wallpaper.
Thanks

#18 2009-09-26 17:15:54

m_l

Thanks

Can you please redo bribin33's using solid black background? Also I think the one you made for brisbin33 will look even better with the XMonad logo a bit transparent, like what Taters did with the Haskell logo. I think whenever using the background brisbin33 provided, the foreground would look nicer transparent like I stated before. IMHO Now that I look at the logo you made for brisbin33 looks much better than the one with original XMonad colors. It's just that brisbin33 logo just fits better with the xmobar colors.

opothehippo wrote:

I made a couple of mockups:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2628/idea1n.th.png
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5418/idea2.th.png
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6713/idea3.th.png
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7905/idea4.th.png

Pick one you like and give me an idea of what to change. I can polish it up a bit, and once I'm done, I'll make a version with brisbin's pattern as a background. Or, if you dont like any (I dont) just give me a new idea.

Out of these I like the second one, but the XMonad logo is just a bit big. If you could fit the XMonad logo in between the top part and until the slit near the middle, I think that would look nice but using brisbin33's logo.
For example ... http://picpaste.com/pics/xmonadwallarch … 984091.png

opothehippo wrote:

No problem. It something to do whenever I'm booted into windows.

Sweet walls, the haskell logo is pretty awesome (its similar to the XMonad logo.) Thanks for contributing.

The problem is the pattern originally given, which was 1920x1080. Heres some 1920x1200 versions:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6821/h … zed.th.png
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7608/h … zed.th.png

For future use, heres the pattern except in a 1920x1200 resolution: http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6044/p … esized.png

Thank You for all this, good job.

#19 2009-09-26 18:44:24

opothehippo

SpeedVin wrote:
opothehippo wrote:

1.When I try change the size of my file/wall created in gimp (raster graphics) and save the queality of image is only a little better , then that's mean I have to draw my new image in Inkscape (vector graphcips)?
Export as bitmap
Thanks

1. Yes, you have to recreate the image using inkscape only. I know that in Adobe Illustrator they have a live trace tool to convert Raster to Vector graphics, but thats overpriced mac/windows only software you dont want. If you want to use that arch logo in your drawing (which I assume you do) you can download a .svg file of it. .svg is the Standard Vector Graphics format. Anything in that format is a Vector graphic and can be scaled to any size without a loss in quality. Once you have your vector arch logo in inkspace, then you can start making you creation. If your in to designing graphics, then inkscape is definitely worth learning. Check out Help>Tutorials for a list of tutorials to start learning inkscape.

2. I dont think you can export it as a jpg, but I think a png will work (png is better IMO). This webpage suggests it is under the Export command, but I honestly dont know.

m_l wrote:

Can you please redo bribin33's using solid black background? Also I think the one you made for brisbin33 will look even better with the XMonad logo a bit transparent, like what Taters did with the Haskell logo. I think whenever using the background brisbin33 provided, the foreground would look nicer transparent like I stated before. IMHO Now that I look at the logo you made for brisbin33 looks much better than the one with original XMonad colors. It's just that brisbin33 logo just fits better with the xmobar colors.

This is brisbin33's wallpaper with the logo opacity lowered to 70%.

brisbinxmonadwalltrans.th.png

I also made a version with the original xmonad color's, yet slightly transparent.

mlxmonadwall1trans.th.png

And a version using brisbin33's suggested colors with a black background.

brislogosolidback.th.png

m_l wrote:

Out of these I like the second one, but the XMonad logo is just a bit big. If you could fit the XMonad logo in between the top part and until the slit near the middle, I think that would look nice but using brisbin33's logo.

Like so?

aversionhewants.th.png

I think it looks a bit better like this:

aversionilike.th.png

Keep in mind that once I get the technical aspects of this right, I can change colors and add borders, or use the background pattern.

Arch x86_64 | XMonad

#20 2009-09-26 20:46:30

SpeedVin

opothehippo wrote:
SpeedVin wrote:
opothehippo wrote:

Export as bitmap
Thanks

1. Yes, you have to recreate the image using inkscape only. I know that in Adobe Illustrator they have a live trace tool to convert Raster to Vector graphics, but thats overpriced mac/windows only software you dont want. If you want to use that arch logo in your drawing (which I assume you do) you can download a .svg file of it. .svg is the Standard Vector Graphics format. Anything in that format is a Vector graphic and can be scaled to any size without a loss in quality. Once you have your vector arch logo in inkspace, then you can start making you creation. If your in to designing graphics, then inkscape is definitely worth learning. Check out Help>Tutorials for a list of tutorials to start learning inkscape.

2. I dont think you can export it as a jpg, but I think a png will work (png is better IMO). This webpage suggests it is under the Export command, but I honestly dont know.

Thanks for answering my questions maybe save it as svg and open this in gimp and save it as png it will be good?

#21 2009-09-27 00:05:26

opothehippo

New resolutions:

fryguybig.th.png
fryguysmall.th.png
haskellsmaller.th.png
haskellsmallergrey.th.png

Arch x86_64 | XMonad

#22 2009-09-27 00:34:47

m_l

opothehippo wrote:

This is brisbin33's wallpaper with the logo opacity lowered to 70%.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/379/br … ans.th.png

I also made a version with the original xmonad color's, yet slightly transparent.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3818/mlx … ans.th.png

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1221 … ack.th.png

These are really nice. The opacity looks good, but I think it needs a bit more. Compare the opacity level to what Taters did with the haskell logo.
The opacity that Taters used is just right (imho), it blends nicely the background with the logo. If you can get use/get close to the opacity Taters used that would great.

opothehippo wrote:

Like so?

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5706/ave … nts.th.png

I think it looks a bit better like this:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6426/a … ike.th.png

Keep in mind that once I get the technical aspects of this right, I can change colors and add borders, or use the background pattern.

I thought it would nice this way, but I was wrong does not look good. The second does look better, but still does not look good, imho.
If you want to try in the circled areas ... http://picpaste.com/aversionilike.png

Thank You

Last edited by m_l (2009-09-27 01:27:08)

#23 2009-09-27 01:06:17

m_l

opothehippo wrote:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4338/xmonad.th.png

I think this one will look good using brisbin33's background, with the opacity you used before (70%) or even better if you can use/get close to the opacity Taters used that would great.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1221 … ack.th.png

Can you please do this one again, but with the same background color from the one above (dark gray)?

Thank You

Last edited by m_l (2009-09-27 01:28:14)

#24 2009-09-27 01:23:12

m_l

oopps roll

Last edited by m_l (2009-09-27 01:25:11)

#25 2009-09-29 17:02:23

SpeedVin

SpeedVin wrote:

This is version for m_l smile
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/39/58390120.th.jpg
Next version will be for brisbin33.

Ok m_l I make new better wall for you.
laken.th.png

Board footer