You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-26 20:30:29

StanIsTheMan

installing own kernel...

I have no problem git cloning my kernel of choice and configuring. My question is when compiling a new video drivers or any other package that might be dependent on Linux sources. I usually use the /usr/src directory. I am having trouble with the PKGBUILD on kernel26zen-git. It fails at installing after compile.

Is there a global symlink ?Like there is in Gentoo? Where, I can custom build my kernels, and not have to worry about when I install new Nvidia drivers from there website. I am just greatly disappointed in these custom PKGBUILDS, and I don't need a initrd package. Are there any special parameters I need to be aware of... such as any global symlinks?

Am I going to have problems install drivers from Nvidia's site if I decide not use the kernel26 packages, or any other package that compiles against the kernel sources..?

Here's the error I get from the PKGBUILD

==> ERROR: Failed... Your source tree might be broken. Run 'make mrproper' in src/kernel26zen to clean it up
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
    Aborting...
Error: Makepkg was unable to build kernel26zen package

Last edited by StanIsTheMan (2009-09-26 20:36:48)

#2 2009-09-26 22:22:36

chancho

Re: installing own kernel...

maybe you should try to download the source from kernel.org and config and compile a normal kernel first. if it works, then it is a problem of the package only.

#3 2009-09-26 22:49:09

StanIsTheMan

Ya, I have... I git cloned the zen-sources and compiled fine, and running it now. I am just trying to figure out how to compile Nvidia drivers from there site, without running into libGl.so errors from gcc....

EDIT:   Just confused on switching from Gentoo... Just need to get used to how the new package manager works, and transition from ebuilds to PKGBUILDS.

Last edited by StanIsTheMan (2009-09-26 23:12:56)

#4 2009-09-27 05:42:47

chancho

the wiki has some hints about compiling your own kernel + nvidia modules. the PKGBUILDS from abs was hard coded with kernel26. just change it to your own kernel source name.

#5 2009-09-27 05:55:56

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

The PKGBUILD seems to be pointing to his own kernel chanco, shouldn't be a problem.

@ OP: did you try the suggestion the error is giving you? I.e. a

make mproper

in the source tree?

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#6 2009-09-27 22:35:49

StanIsTheMan

B wrote:

The PKGBUILD seems to be pointing to his own kernel chanco, shouldn't be a problem.

@ OP: did you try the suggestion the error is giving you? I.e. a

make mproper

in the source tree?

I was going to ... but I decided on a static kernel. And since I used to write ebuilds for my own packages, I decided to take up the task of writing my own PKGBUILD /w a static kernel, using the zen-sources git tree.

BTW, am I going to be running into any problems in the future when running updates through pacman /w the way my kernel is setup? That's ,my main concern, since I am using a static kernel.  Though I do use my own video drivers from the Nvidia site, so I am not worried about video drivers.

I guess I became accustomed with gentoo, that so much of the transition has been different.  Though I like Arch and its ABS, and AUR, plus there are lot of packages available.

Last edited by StanIsTheMan (2009-09-27 23:03:52)

Board footer