You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-26 11:02:39

EvasiveFR

Openbox approach - Need to find a complete GTK theme, daemons needed ?

Hello,
So friday, I tried to install Openbox on my second desktop, and it was an EPIC FAIL ! mad

I've experimented a lot of issues..

1] I was unable to found a complete icontheme (who contains all icons that I need)

2] I was unable to found a complete GTK2 theme (needed by some apps)

3] When I tried to launch pidgin, emesene, and midori, I had bus errors...

And finnaly, can you telm me a complete list of daemons needed for openbox usage ?

Hal ? Dbus ? Gamin ?

Thanks wink

Sorry for my english... I'm a french user !
If you don't understand what I say, just ask me ^^

#2 2009-09-26 11:10:24

moljac024

Re: Openbox approach - Need to find a complete GTK theme, daemons needed ?

You need to have hal running, and to start a client dbus session slap this at the start of your autostart.sh:

# Start D-BUS session
if which dbus-launch >/dev/null && test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"; then
       eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
fi

Although I don't see why pidgin would fail if you didn't start a dbus session.
As for the icon themes, that's hardly an openbox failure isn't it ? Those icons would still be missing whichever window manager you use..

If you want to easily swith icon and gtk2 themes without running a settings manager, try lxappearance (it's in community)

Last edited by moljac024 (2009-09-26 11:12:01)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#3 2009-09-26 11:37:32

empthollow

I don't use openbox, i use fluxbox, but i may have some solutions for you.
1) icon issue.   I use this icon theme nuovext2.  Install with 'yaourt -Ss nuovext2'
this is a kind of shiny icon theme, i happen to like it alot and haven't run into any issues with missing icons.  This will get you going even if you don't like the theme.

2) I am not sure what problems you are refering to when you say complete gtk2 theme.  Many complete gtk2 themes can be found on www.art.gnome.org.  Perhaps what you are missing is the .gtkrc-2.0 file in your home directory.  This will give you the control to choose which font, gtk theme, and icon theme.  I'll post mine.

gtk-font-name = "sans 8"
gtk-theme-name = "Aurora-Blanco"
gtk-icon-theme-name = "nuovext2"

some older or no longer supported apps may still need gtk1.  The syntax is exactly the same for this file which is named .gtkrc - so i just simlink it to my .gtkrc-2.0.  You can control this globally by putting this is the /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file.  Just make sure the theme and icon sets you want to use are installed in the /usr/share themes and icon directories.   OK, i feel i am rambling now.  next.

3) asking for a list of daemons required to run openbox is kind of an open ended question.  It's more like what daemons are required for the apps you want to run while using openbox.  I'll post the startup daemons i use for my fluxbox system.

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng hal fam nfs-common netfs !network wicd avahi-daemon alsa sshd gpm)
syslog-ng is my choice for system logger

hal is hardware abstraction layer which i have a hunch also starts dbus because dbus is running on my system after boot.

fam ... i'm not sure what that is but it is required by nfs. 

netfs mounts network shares in your fstab

network is disabled because i am using a laptop with wireless and wicd and find it unnecessary.

the rest of the stuff is optional, avahi-daemon is a network broadcast system which broadcasts and finds smb, afp, and othe types of shares.

alsa is my sound system

sshd is for remote login

gpm is mouse support for when you are not using X 

Hope this helps.

empthollow

--empthollow
Check out my Arch based live distro http://fluxcapacity.99k.org

#4 2009-09-26 11:38:14

EvasiveFR

moljac024 wrote:

You need to have hal running, and to start a client dbus session slap this at the start of your autostart.sh:

# Start D-BUS session
fi

Although I don't see why pidgin would fail if you didn't start a dbus session.
As for the icon themes, that's hardly an openbox failure isn't it ? Those icons would still be missing whichever window manager you use..

If you want to easily swith icon and gtk2 themes without running a settings manager, try lxappearance (it's in community)

Thanks for your quick reply

So I have to install hal & dbus, to start them and to put this in my autostart.sh and it will be good ?

# Start D-BUS session
fi

Sorry for my english... I'm a french user !
If you don't understand what I say, just ask me ^^

#5 2009-09-26 11:42:01

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Install the gnome-hicolor-icontheme to fill in the blanks for the theme you use. A lot of themes are incomplete.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#6 2009-09-27 02:30:06

opothehippo

The gnome-colors icon set is extremly complete and looks nice and clean. Its in the aur. There is also a gnome-colors gtk theme which I like. Not sure what engines it requires.

I would recammend lxappearance for switching gtk and icon themes.

Arch x86_64 | XMonad

#7 2009-09-27 09:04:05

Crows

Quite a lot of icon themes depend on the hicolor icons or the gnome icons, neither of which are big downloads (I don't think).

#8 2009-09-27 22:57:45

LeoSolaris

Well...   ya unfortunately there are few icon themes that are fully complete. I switch mine fairly regularly, and so far I like smokikon. It's nearly complete, but the one's that are not there, I rarely ever come across. (So far I have not noticed a single one, but hey... the author still says it is not "complete") Another good one is black white 2 (either style or glossy). You can get them both on www.gnome-look.org

Gtk themes are usually pretty complete, but you will need an openbox theme (www.box-look.org) for the border. (there is a standard theme built in.) You can change the theme in the rc.conf or with a tool called obconf. (It's in extra) For gtk theme switching I use lxappearence.

Small tip: HAL is needed. It handles automounting and a myriad of other background things. Between fam and gamin, I have less trouble with gamin. None in fact, but I had a hell of a time with fam.

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

Board footer