You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-27 22:28:20

Bedtimes

[solved] ctxfi -- Sound comes out from one speaker, sometimes...

Hi
I have a Creative X-Fi.
I installed kernel26 from the testing repository in order that I could use the card with Arch Linux, and therefore alsamixer detects my card.

I am able to play a sound file, however: sound only comes out from my front-right speaker. I have surround sound, and at the very least music should play from my front-left speaker, too.

I opened Amarok earlier on and inside the preferences where you can pick the audio device, there are lots of different devices, and when selecting some of them I was able to get the sound to come out from either the back two speakers, the front-right speaker, or the front-center speaker. As of yet, I've not been able to get the front-left speaker to work, and I am not sure how to get this all to work outside of fiddling about on a amarok preferences page.

Does anybody have any tips?

Last edited by Bedtimes (2009-09-28 11:03:54)

#2 2009-09-28 04:48:53

Zack89

Re: [solved] ctxfi -- Sound comes out from one speaker, sometimes...

Have u ran alsamixer? That isnt for card detection alsamixer is to adjust sound levels.. alsaconf is whats used for detection. If you havent gone in there do it or if you have a graphical setup download the alsamixer gui version. Another thing is considering your sound card it might be installing as hda not legacy.. run dmesg and look for any troubles with in there involving sound card.. usually its a codec issue and you need to use the correct module in the alsa module conf file.. alsa comes with  a text file containing all sound card model types with their respective codecs.

Registered User number: 496613. Show your Tux Pride!
http://counter.li.org

#3 2009-09-28 10:52:02

Bedtimes

Re: [solved] ctxfi -- Sound comes out from one speaker, sometimes...

I got half-way into trying to install OSS to see if that would fix it,
and...

*DRUM ROLL*

the front-left speaker jack had come out!

big_smile

Board footer