You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-26 04:26:00

virtualtom

Trying to get a KDE GUI in Arch

Hi there smile

I'm new to Arch and although I have had some limited Linux experience with Ubuntu I would really like to get a GUI going asap.

I have installed Arch without issue and I got to the point where I login as ROOT with my own password after the install.

I went to the forums and followed the basic instructions to install KDE.

I typed pacman -S kde

The install went without a hitch.

I then saw that I needed to install X

I typed pacman -S xorg

This also seemed to work ok

I then typed pacman -Sy nvidia to install the drivers for my video card.  8600 GT

I then typed startx

I got a simple frozen desktop with 3 CLT boxes on it and a small analog clock in the top right corner.

I could not get out of this screen so I did a hard reboot and logged in again.

I don't know what to do next to get my KDE GUI working, I'm kind of lost.

1. Do I need to install mouse drivers?
2. Do I need to configure any of the packages I install above?
3. I really want to get this to work, as I feel that this Arch distro has a lot to offer compared to the cookie cutter experience I got with Ubuntu.

HELP!!

#2 2009-09-26 04:34:47

Vladman

Re: Trying to get a KDE GUI in Arch

You need to add:  hal fam to your deamons list in /etc/rc.conf for the keyboard/mouse to work.
Also read the wiki beginners guide.

#3 2009-09-26 05:44:47

MadTux

You need to follow the procedure on how to install a desktop environment from the Beginners Guide:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … nvironment

#4 2009-09-28 03:10:17

iBertus

Also, be sure to add a user and not use the root account for everyday stuff.

#5 2009-09-28 06:26:00

Pyntux

I first do:

nvidia-xconfig

than add hal in to DAEMONS in file /etc/rc.conf, and install gamin (I use gamin, not fam), and you can add kdm in rc.conf in DAEMONS, or edit /etc/inittab to boot to the init 5 and kdm or some other...

Last edited by Pyntux (2009-09-28 06:26:32)

I do not speak English, but I understand...

#6 2009-09-28 06:34:32

Runiq

virtualtom wrote:

I got a simple frozen desktop with 3 CLT boxes on it and a small analog clock in the top right corner.

What you saw there was twm, xorg's own window manager, which starts 3 terminals and the clock. So basically, you successfully booted into X, which is an achievement in itself. tongue

As mentioned above, you'll probably need to start kdm from your /etc/inittab. Uncomment the Boot to X11 line (id:5:initdefault) and the line at the end that starts kdm.

Also: *Please* add your own user account. Don't tinker around with your root account unless necessary.

Edit: I had the frozen desktop thing at the beginning too. Try installing xf86-input-mouse and xf86-input-keyboard, hope this helps.

Last edited by Runiq (2009-09-28 06:38:14)

#7 2009-09-28 06:53:20

toasty_ghosty

You are doing well!

The first time you install Arch It will seem like there is a lot to install, but don't worry much of the hard part is over.

Just make sure to follow the beginner's guide and you should be fine.

Welcome to Arch.

-Ghosty

Thinkpad X200 FTW!

#8 2009-09-28 07:57:59

Pierre
Developer
Website

FYI: Neither fam or gamin is used by KDE. So those daemons are not needed.

#9 2009-09-28 12:20:36

unideal

Runiq wrote:
virtualtom wrote:

What you saw there was twm, xorg's own window manager, which starts 3 terminals and the clock. So basically, you successfully booted into X, which is an achievement in itself. tongue

As mentioned above, you'll probably need to start kdm from your /etc/inittab. Uncomment the Boot to X11 line (id:5:initdefault) and the line at the end that starts kdm.

Also: *Please* add your own user account. Don't tinker around with your root account unless necessary.

Edit: I had the frozen desktop thing at the beginning too. Try installing xf86-input-mouse and xf86-input-keyboard, hope this helps.

A little bit offtopic, but kinda related question:

What are the differences running programs from /etc/inittab and adding daemon to /etc/rc.conf?

Are they the same thing in different form? For which things should I use inittab, and for which rc.conf? Which one gets executed first? tongue

#10 2009-09-28 12:29:56

Runiq

I'd say inittab gets executed first. You define your rc.sysinit script in inittab. The sysinit script in turn sources rc.conf and then launches your daemons. Don't really have a clue in what way they're different, though. :-/

Board footer