You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-30 13:28:43

iainwillis

Oracle

Hi,

Has anyone managed to install Oracle 10g on Arch?
I've tried both the 64bit version and 32bit under a chroot, neither gets past the linking stage in the installer.

The 64bit install fails with

/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.3.1/../../../libpthread.a when searching for -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libpthread.so when searching for -lpthread                                    
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libpthread.a when searching for -lpthread                                     
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libpthread.so when searching for -lpthread                                           
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libpthread.a                                                                         
INFO:  when searching for -lpthread                                                                                              
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpthread                                                                                               
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status                                                                                              
make[1]: *** [/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/rdbms/lib/extproc32] Error 1                                                

INFO: make[1]: Leaving directory `/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/rdbms/lib'

INFO: make: *** [extproc32] Error 2

I've installed all the 32bit libraries I could find and ensured the 32bit paths are in LD_LIBRARY_PATH but nothing works.

As for the 32bit version under the chroot, I keep getting:

INFO: Linking /app/oracle/product/10.2.0/precomp/lib/proc

INFO: /app/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib//libclntsh.so: undefined reference to `ntusini'
/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib//libclntsh.so: undefined reference to `nnfhboot'     
/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib//libclntsh.so: undefined reference to `nnflboot'     
/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib//libclntsh.so: undefined reference to `nttini'       
/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib//libclntsh.so: undefined reference to `nnftboot'     
/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib//libclntsh.so: undefined reference to `nnflgapc'     
/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib//lib                                                 
INFO: clntsh.so: undefined reference to `nnflrne'                                   
/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib//libclntsh.so: undefined reference to `nttsdpini'
/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib//libclntsh.so: undefined reference to `ntpini'
/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib//libclntsh.so: undefined reference to `nnflfrm'
/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib//libclntsh.so: undefined reference to `nnflgav'
/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib//libclntsh.so: undefined reference to `ntzini'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

INFO: /bin/chmod: cannot access `/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/precomp/lib/proc': No such file or directory

INFO: make: *** [/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/precomp/lib/proc] Error 1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2008-09-04 03:35:58

RagingDragon

Re: Oracle

Ok, since the error message references $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib, I'm guessing you tried installing an Oracle server, rather than just the client.

I tried to install Oracle server on Arch i686 about a year ago, and failed miserably. I got the Enterprise Edition installed to complete, but I couldn't get the server binary to run. So at home I'm using PostgreSQL big_smile, though at work it's Oracle on Redhat, CentOS and Windows. If you want to setup an Oracle server to learn Oracle of develop apps which use it, I'd suggest a CentOS virtural machine inside vmware, xen, etc.. If you want to setup a production Oracle server, I'd recommend sticking to the Oracle supported distros - or at least their clones (i.e. CentOS is a Red Hat clone).

I've never tried installing an Oracle client on Arch, so I have no idea whether or not it's possible (my client apps are Java and use the oracle:thin JDBC driver from ojdbcXX.jar, since they don't need an Oracle client install to work, I haven't had a motive to test the Oracle client).

#3 2008-09-04 19:43:06

dr_te_z

Known problem. I'm a DB2 guy myself and IBM is only supporting SuSE and Redhat (same as oracle I believe?). But I do not like rpm-based linuxes...
I've managed to get DB2 working on arch (64bit) and debian (32bit vmware image) , but you can never install that at a client's site, because you will not get any support.

Somewhere between "too small" and "too large" lies the size that is just right.
- Scott Hayes

#4 2008-10-23 08:29:00

zyghom
Website

working fine on my laptop 32b
just I'm looking for gui client to connect to remote server

Zygfryd Homonto

#5 2008-10-23 11:36:31

Janax

I installed Oracle 10g (x86_64) years ago on Gentoo and kept the installation tree around.  It runs on Arch just fine.  Also, I iinstalled 11g using an Ubuntu installation and guide, and that works as well.

For a graphical client, I highly recommend tOra.  I'm using the SVN version, and have a PKGBUILD that works with the full 10g client I mentioned above.  Since it requires that and not the 'instant client', it's not something that I would post to AUR, but will provide to those who want it.

#6 2008-10-23 11:45:43

zyghom
Website

please
do you suggest I need first ocracle client and then to install tora ?
as usualy tora does not work wiht oracle if does not see oracle on hdd
so, please PKGBUILG and a bit info

Zygfryd Homonto

#7 2008-10-24 16:06:37

Janax

Here is the PKGBUILD I use:

# $Id: PKGBUILD,v 1.10 2008/09/26 22:16:28 BaSh Exp $
# Maintainer: Geoff Weber <janax99@yahoo.com>

pkgname=tora-svn
pkgver=3061
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Toolkit for Oracle, also includes support for MySQL and PostgreSQL"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://tora.sourceforge.net"
license=('GPL')
depends=('qscintilla')
makedepends=('subversion')
options=('!libtool' '!emptydirs')
provides=('tora')
conflicts=('tora')

source=()
md5sums=()

_svntrunk=https://tora.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/tora/trunk
_svnmod=tora

build() {
  cd ${srcdir}

if [ -d $_svnmod/.svn ]; then
    (cd $_svnmod && svn up -r $pkgver)
  else
    svn co $_svntrunk --config-dir ./ -r $pkgver $_svnmod
  fi

msg "SVN checkout done or server timeout"
  msg "Starting make..."

cp -r $_svnmod/tora* $_svnmod-build
  cd $_svnmod-build/tora

./autogen.sh

./configure --prefix=/usr --with-oracle --with-x --libdir=/usr/lib
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR="$pkgdir" install || return 1
}

So, I have this running with a full Oracle 10gR2 installation that I have leftover from back when I was running Gentoo.  I haven't yet tried it with the Oracle 11g In installed last week using an Ubuntu partition, but would expect it to work with that too (I'd simply change the ORACLE_HOME directory before compiling).  A side note here is that I'm fairly sure that Oracle won't install on Arch simply because of Arch's multilib policy.  See the Arch x86_64 wiki for reasons why multilib isn't supported...

I'm guessing that you just want to use a client, so the 'instant client' should be good enough for that.  All you'd change in the PKGBUILD, then, after installing the "instant client", is:

./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --with-oracle --with-x

TO

./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --with-instant-client={dir you placed the instant client in} --with-x

That should hopefully get you up and running.

p.s. You get the instant client from here... just extract it into a directory of your choice.  Make sure you get the SDK component in addition to the other parts you want to have for tOra to link against.

#8 2008-10-24 17:18:27

zyghom
Website

thanks

Zygfryd Homonto

#9 2009-05-14 16:15:45

kdjtar

Janax wrote:

Here is the PKGBUILD I use:
I'm guessing that you just want to use a client, so the 'instant client' should be good enough for that.  All you'd change in the PKGBUILD, then, after installing the "instant client", is:

Thank you very much!

This put an end to my 'no available connection provider' problem. But now I get the following error: ORA-12705: Cannot access NLS data files or invalid environment specified

Do you know why am I getting this message? I can't connect to the remote database.

I have the following env variables:

ORACLE_HOME=/opt/instantclient_11_1
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/instantclient_11_1
TNS_ADMIN=/opt/instantclient_11_1
SQLPATH=/opt/instantclient_11_1
PATH=$PATH:/opt/instantclient_11_1/
ORACLE_SID=orcl
ORACLE_TERM=xterm

#10 2009-05-14 16:29:52

kdjtar

#11 2009-09-29 11:22:05

marwooj

I am getting

sqlplus: symbol lookup error: /opt/ora/home/lib/libclntsh.so.11.1: undefined symbol: nnftboot

#12 2009-09-29 11:29:27

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … Bumping.27

Would recommend starting a new thread.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer