You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-27 02:02:01

Guigwime

Wired and Wireless Lan not functioning

I just installed it today on my asus eee pc 1008HA, but when it was booting, I noticed a message right forwards the end stating that "eth0: interface not found or invalid". My wireless appears in iwconfig but can't find any networks when I put iwlist wlan0 scan. My network uses dhcp but I've even tried using a static ip with no success. I'm pretty new to this, so any help would be appreciated.

P.S.: Great forums you have here, it seems quite well supported.

#2 2009-09-27 04:17:19

perbh

Re: Wired and Wireless Lan not functioning

So - you have given us the make of your computer - and you expect _us_ to go and figure out what drivers are needed and what you may or may not have done. It is never polite to say "help - this doesn't work" without supplying any kind of information.
At least - give us the output of the 'lspci' command, plus the output of 'dmesg | grep eth', also what modules you have in /etc/rc.conf and how your network is set up (also in /etc/rc.conf).

Don't be surprised if nobody deigns to give an answer ...

#3 2009-09-27 05:05:38

iphitus
Forum Fellow

http://wiki.archlinux.org

Has heaps and heaps of awesome stuff that should answer your questions.

#4 2009-09-29 13:10:59

PurplePerson

I would recommend quickly installing 'Wicd' to manage your network.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wicd
(Really worth reading)

pacman -Sy wicd

Edit the 'INTERFACES' section of your /etc/rc.conf and disable any interface there:

INTERFACES=(!eth0 !wlan0)

Now edit the 'DAEMONS' section in your /etc/rc.conf to disable the normal network daemon and start the Wicd daemon. This is done by preceding the 'network' daemon by a '!' (exclamation mark) to disable it and adding the 'wicd' daemon.

You should also undo any previous changes you made to your network settings.

You should have something like this. (Yours will probably be slightly different though)

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng hal !network wicd alsa netfs crond cpufreq openntpd)

Presuming the correct modules are loaded for your wireless adapter you should be able to easily connect to your network. (after you reboot of course)

If you don't get any luck after this then it probably is a driver/module issue.

Good luck.

edit: added 'INTERFACES' bit.

Last edited by PurplePerson (2009-09-29 13:27:08)

Board footer