You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-14 11:29:24

AtlanticVoyager

Rhythmbox not playing CDs

Hi. I am new to ArchLinux, having installed it a few days ago. Most things are working well, but there are a few problems.
One is that Rhythmbox, my preferred music player for GNOME is not playing CDs. It is reading the files on the CD and getting the Album, Artist and Track Titles, but I cannot get it to actually play the CD.

I have installed VLC and Audacious to compare, and they will both play the CD, so there is nothing wrong with the CD. Why won't Rhythmbox play it?
Rhythmbox will take a wav file from the CD and place it in my Music folder, and it will play it properly from there, but the CD will not run in this program. Can anyone please tell me what might be wrong. Thanks.

#2 2009-08-14 14:51:01

jelly
Administrator

Re: Rhythmbox not playing CDs

you probaly miss some dependencies for cd playing. Does rhythmbox give an error about this issue ? You could try this

pacman -S gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs

#3 2009-08-14 17:57:52

AtlanticVoyager

Thanks. pacman -S gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs
returns:
gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs package not found, searching for group...
error: 'gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs': not found in sync db
Is there a typo in what you suggested?

When I start Rhythmbox in the terminal as root, I get umpteen repetitions of this:

(rhythmbox:3482): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

before Rhythmbox opens in a contracted form.

When I open Rhythmbox in a terminal as a normal user I get this:

[user@***** ~]$ rhythmbox

(rhythmbox:3894): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstofa.so': libofa.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(rhythmbox:3893): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to initialize mDNS: Daemon not running

(rhythmbox:3893): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to start mDNS browsing: mDNS service is not running

(rhythmbox:3893): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Could not open device /dev/radio0

(rhythmbox:3893): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to stop mDNS browsing: mDNS service is not running
[r@day ~]$ rhythmbox

(rhythmbox:3911): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstofa.so': libofa.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(rhythmbox:3910): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to initialize mDNS: Daemon not running

(rhythmbox:3910): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to start mDNS browsing: mDNS service is not running

(rhythmbox:3910): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Could not open device /dev/radio0

(rhythmbox:3910): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_object_unref: assertion `object != NULL' failed
bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)

(rhythmbox:3910): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to stop mDNS browsing: mDNS service is not running

Rhythmbox opens normally, but won't play CDs.

I have the good, the bad and the ugly plugins installed, so I don't know what is required.

Last edited by AtlanticVoyager (2009-08-14 18:13:25)

#4 2009-09-29 20:16:51

SiegeMachine

My rhythmbox does the same thing when playing regular music.  Something happens to Alsa I think because after running some wine games or doing different things for a while certain songs wont play and rhythmbox will sit there sayings its playing but the cursor will be at the start of the position bar.  Everytime I change songs I get the connection refused error even if the song plays.  Some songs just hang though and if I go to the next song it will start playing again.  Its extremely annoying being able to only play half my songs.  And whats this about a daemon right when Rhythmbox starts up?

"(rhythmbox:2452): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to initialize mDNS: Daemon not running

(rhythmbox:2452): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to start mDNS browsing: mDNS service is not running

(rhythmbox:2452): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to grab media player keys: Could not get owner of name 'org.gnome.SettingsDaemon': no such name

(rhythmbox:2452): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_object_unref: assertion `object != NULL' failed
bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)"

Board footer