You are not logged in.

#126 2009-09-30 00:10:05

combuster
Website

Re: gnome unstable repository

Yep, I can now change polkit-gnome-authorization options, I gave permissions for my user to mount optical drivers and internal storage. I can't try it now cause I don't have any dvd on me but will try tomorrow... Thnx smile

#127 2009-09-30 04:00:56

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Hi JGC, just updated gdm 2.28, I noticed the new /etc/gdm/custom.conf is almost blank, compared with the heavily commented one which came with 2.20, is this intentional/upstream or an oversight?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#128 2009-09-30 04:15:39

foutrelis
Developer
Website

ngoonee wrote:

Hi JGC, just updated gdm 2.28, I noticed the new /etc/gdm/custom.conf is almost blank, compared with the heavily commented one which came with 2.20, is this intentional/upstream or an oversight?

I noticed that too, but went ahead and overwrote /etc/gdm/custom.conf with the new file. Then, gdm 2.28 would display an empty userlist at the login screen and only allow me to shutdown/restart/suspend; there was no input box to type my username or password in. However, if I started gdm from the console (e.g.: tty1) as root, it would display my username and allow me to login. I had no luck with starting gdm from inittab though.

I've downgraded to gdm 2.20 for now, but will mess around with 2.28 some more when I get the chance.

#129 2009-09-30 05:53:25

wonder
Developer
Website

hmmm i didn't seen .pacnew and is working fine with the one that i had already

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#130 2009-09-30 06:41:29

foutrelis
Developer
Website

Alright, it works here too, but only if HAL is enabled in the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf. :<

Wasn't DeviceKit-{disks,power} going to replace HAL? I have AutoAddDevices set to False in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, so X starts up fine without HAL running. However, some things in Gnome don't work correctly (suspend, web camera in cheese and now gdm).

I'm really confused by all this {Console,Device}Kit and HAL situation. sad

#131 2009-09-30 07:00:18

JGC
Developer

DeviceKit needs dbus to work, hal is obsolete. DeviceKit is automatically launched on request, it doesn't need any init script besides dbus.

As for gdm: configuration of gdm moved to gconf. I think custom.conf was kept for backwards compatibility. In previous versions, system defaults were stored in /usr/share/gdm/default.conf and configuration done by gdmsetup was stored in custom.conf.

#132 2009-09-30 07:20:12

foutrelis
Developer
Website

JGC wrote:

DeviceKit needs dbus to work, hal is obsolete. DeviceKit is automatically launched on request, it doesn't need any init script besides dbus.

Here's what I get with only dbus enabled and this is with hal enabled. Not sure if this is expected behavior.

JGC wrote:

As for gdm: configuration of gdm moved to gconf. I think custom.conf was kept for backwards compatibility. In previous versions, system defaults were stored in /usr/share/gdm/default.conf and configuration done by gdmsetup was stored in custom.conf.

I was wondering how I could use the gdm theme I had before, but it appears that this won't be possible. I don't think that setting a user's (gdm, in this case) background/gtk theme/etc a great way to customize my login screen.

Time to give SLiM a try, I guess. tongue

#133 2009-09-30 07:58:00

combuster
Website

Ok, that one liner orangeroot1K provided works, but now I can't eject with the hotkey on my laptop, it unmounts the dvd but wont eject, right click on eject in nautilus works, and eject button works just fine in init3...

Also polkit-gnome-authorization settings are ignored...

Could be because of this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/432281

Last edited by combuster (2009-09-30 08:08:54)

#134 2009-09-30 08:16:25

snoopy33

Hi to all,

I just install gnome 2.28, i know that it s a beta, but i ve a big issue, there is not the cross at the top of every window to close it, i ve only the line to reduce it...

I ve copy my home folder and create a new one empty to reset all configuration files, but it doesn t fix it.

Have you an idea ?

(I try to change the theme, etc...)

Michaël

#135 2009-09-30 08:28:14

combuster
Website

Do you have compiz runing, it sounds like the issue when compiz starts but window decorator doesn't...

#136 2009-09-30 08:31:40

snoopy33

no compiz running, not installed !

I can t use alt F4, i can t use alt + ctrl + right or left to change my desktop... I don t understand, i verify every thing... very very strange... It s like to have an ubuntu laptop, without ubuntu :-)

#137 2009-09-30 08:33:16

shining
Pacman Developer

snoopy33 wrote:

no compiz running, not installed !

I can t use alt F4, i can t use alt + ctrl + right or left to change my desktop... I don t understand, i verify every thing... very very strange... It s like to have an ubuntu laptop, without ubuntu :-)

Can you try with a fresh new user ?

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#138 2009-09-30 08:35:13

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

OrangeRoot1000 wrote:

cat /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- XML -*- -->

<!DOCTYPE pkconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Configuration 1.0//EN"
"http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/Pol … config.dtd">

<config version="0.1">
<return result="yes"/>
</config>

I will do you one better because this is such a PITA for new installs and the fix isn't complicated.

The line <return result="yes"/> is the fix.

That's not a fix, that's just opening the gates for the enemy roll

Seriously - if you want to get rid of PolicyKit you should throw it out altogether (I can understand if you'd want to). The point of PolicyKit is more fine-grained control, and that one line exactly defeats the whole purpose of PolicyKit.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#139 2009-09-30 08:38:11

snoopy33

I Just do it.

Exactly the same thing !

Is there a way to reinstall all gnome package without removing it, because i don t want to loose all my programs because of dependance...

#140 2009-09-30 08:39:40

snoopy33

combuster wrote:

Do you have compiz runing, it sounds like the issue when compiz starts but window decorator doesn't...

I ve window decoration, but without the little cross

#141 2009-09-30 08:53:16

snoopy33

It s Ok now !!!!

SO the solution : remove gnome group and reinstall it

I delete my home user too, don t know if it was usefull.

Thanks to all

PS : I like a lot archlinux !!!!!

Last edited by snoopy33 (2009-09-30 08:53:37)

#142 2009-09-30 09:26:12

combuster
Website

@B

Ok, but what shoud we do, I can't configure polkit via sudo (grant buttons and ok are grayed out), I can't configure polkit as a user (same trouble), If I do this as orangeroot said it mounts now but polkit policies I set are ignored... Complete mess...

What do you suggest? Except to change DE smile

#143 2009-09-30 11:52:52

OrangeRoot1000
Website

/me arms the enemy with grinz..

This so much reminds me of about 5 years back when hal, udev and hotplugging of usb came on the scene.

Right now as far as I can tell I didn't pay "that" much attention but fam/gamin, hal/device kit, policy kit seem to be Gnome requirements. I didn't have them in KDE 3/4 or in XFCE 4.6.x So it seems like I'm to gather that these are soon coming changes and we just get to be so lucky as to be the test bed for system wide upgrades?

Just for S&G's:

# pacman -Rsn policykit
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: hal: requires policykit>=0.9-6
:: polkit-qt: requires policykit

# pacman -R policykit
checking dependencies...
:: hal: requires policykit>=0.9-6
:: polkit-qt: requires policykit

pacman -R devicekit
checking dependencies...
(1/1) removing devicekit                            [####################################################################################] 100%

# pacman -Rsn hal policykit polkit-qt
checking dependencies...
:: gnome-vfs: requires hal>=0.5.11
:: gstreamer0.10-good-plugins: requires hal>=0.5.13
:: k3b: requires polkit-qt
:: kdelibs: requires hal
:: vlc: requires hal
:: xorg-server: requires hal>=0.5.12

# pacman -Rsn pam
checking dependencies...
:: coreutils: requires pam
:: cups: requires pam
:: inetutils: requires pam
:: openssh: requires pam
:: policykit: requires pam
:: polkit: requires pam
:: samba: requires pam
:: screen: requires pam
:: shadow: requires pam
:: vlock: requires pam

Seems to me we're going deeper into the rabbit hole.

@JGC

Now that devicekit is taking over for hal, should I be placing devicekit in /etc/rc.conf? What about Dbus? Right now Hal starts Dbus. Will that hold true for devicekit? I see gamin has replaced fam finally... yippeee..

Last edited by OrangeRoot1000 (2009-09-30 12:51:59)

#144 2009-09-30 13:56:11

JGC
Developer

PolicyKit is a bit messy at this moment. There's two versions of PolicyKit: the old one, called policykit, and the new one, called polkit. These policykit versions are independent from eachother. Polkit has been redesigned completely and is incompatible with the previous version.

I almost forgot about this issue until someone brought it up here, but my plans for Policykit are as following:
- port the remaining apps to polkit
- get rid of the old policykit

Which means that:
- hal will work without policykit, it will get the standard at_console ruleset. There's no way I will ever revert this to the messy group behaviour we had before. At_console is triggered by consolekit in the same way as it grants rights for policykit now
- networkmanager will get updated to a git version that supports libgudev and polkit
- KDE will integrate with polkit also (only polkit-qt needs a recompile, the rest of KDE just uses polkit-qt)
- PolicyKit will get removed from the repository completely, same for policykit-gnome.

Note that policykit 0.9 configuration has no effect on polkit1, so any GUI tools to configure permissions won't give you permissions for devicekit.

#145 2009-09-30 17:25:38

OrangeRoot1000
Website

IMHO networkmanagers in both KDE and Gnome should be deprecated for WICD as it runs in ncurses and GUI. It handles both wired and wifi connections easily.

#146 2009-09-30 17:34:46

ammon

@OrangeRoot1000
...but still lacks many features. Like handeling multiple network connections at the same time. I have 3 usb wlan dongles and internal wlan card on laptop, wicd cant handle that.

#147 2009-09-30 18:05:40

OrangeRoot1000
Website

@ammon

I don't know. I never have tried to run more than one connection at a time from one machine. I usually let routers, switches do that work over  network and whatever other machines are on it. My experience from gnome-network-manager, kde-manager, wifi-radar and all were such that never could hold even one connection reliably much less multiple. Gotta love choice... whoo hoooo

#148 2009-09-30 20:30:17

Surgat_

@JGC

When would that change happen?

#149 2009-09-30 21:48:23

JGC
Developer

OrangeRoot1000 wrote:

IMHO networkmanagers in both KDE and Gnome should be deprecated for WICD as it runs in ncurses and GUI. It handles both wired and wifi connections easily.

And your point is?
Maybe Redhat should deprecate RPM because we have pacman while Debian has dpkg/apt-get/aptitude... Or maybe we should deprecate KDE and replace it with GNOME...
It's all about choice. If you don't like networkmanager, use something else. If you like networkmanager, just use it.

#150 2009-09-30 22:19:52

OrangeRoot1000
Website

My point is even in various distros the results were always the same -- poor. Thats why at first I started using Ceni and then WICD. Because of said poor results my recommendations to those that would ask would be the above.

I am gathering that the other questions I've asked. Either no one knows the answer. The right person hasn't come along yet or they were missed in others reading?

Last edited by OrangeRoot1000 (2009-09-30 22:21:21)

Board footer