You are not logged in.

#26 2009-04-11 00:31:49

userlander

Re: Choppy Flash Video

dowoshek wrote:
userlander wrote:

Still choppy on my laptop (Pentium-M, ati).

Changing color depth in xorg.conf made no difference. Where did you change that, dowoshek? xorg.conf? or somewhere in the desktop you use?

I run nvidia-settings.
BTW, i switched to Debian already because of the nvidia driver, mainly because of... choppy 3D acceleration in games tongue

Do you have the problem in Debian?

#27 2009-04-11 07:02:12

dowoshek

userlander wrote:
dowoshek wrote:
userlander wrote:

Still choppy on my laptop (Pentium-M, ati).

Changing color depth in xorg.conf made no difference. Where did you change that, dowoshek? xorg.conf? or somewhere in the desktop you use?

I run nvidia-settings.
BTW, i switched to Debian already because of the nvidia driver, mainly because of... choppy 3D acceleration in games tongue

Do you have the problem in Debian?

No, Debian use older (and bug free) drivers of nvidia and xorg. There's also no problem with flash.

Last edited by dowoshek (2009-04-11 07:04:12)

#28 2009-07-20 01:41:22

schmmd
Website

I had the same very frustrating problem with flash video.  However, it went away (at least in my test case) when I ran:

modprobe acpi-cpufreq

Does anyone know why this would help?  Does this work for anyone else?  I hope so!

#29 2009-09-21 22:40:11

creepytennis

Hey everyone.

I managed to solve this issue. I have Intel 915GM graphics.

This adobe blog is really the key:

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2008 … e_gpu.html

The flash player does the unbelievably brain dead thing of checking the glxinfo vendor strings to make sure they do *not* contain the string "SGI". Flash hardware acceleration will only be enabled if the vendor strings do not contain the string "SGI". Incredible, huh? I guess this is the kind of idiocy we've got to contend with in closed-source binary blobs.

The advice given in one of the comments actually worked for me. Specifically, use a hex editor (such as 'ghex') to alter these two binaries:

/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so

(or the actual binaries these files link to, if they are symbolc links. They were links on my system.)

They each contain one instance of "<null>SGI<null>" (plenty of the string "SGI" in other contexts, but ignore these). Change the single instance in each file to "<null>ATI<null>". Restart X, and you may just have hardware accellerated flash. It worked for me.

big_smile

#30 2009-09-22 14:00:43

userlander

creepytennis wrote:

Hey everyone.

I managed to solve this issue. I have Intel 915GM graphics.

This adobe blog is really the key:

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2008 … e_gpu.html

The flash player does the unbelievably brain dead thing of checking the glxinfo vendor strings to make sure they do *not* contain the string "SGI". Flash hardware acceleration will only be enabled if the vendor strings do not contain the string "SGI". Incredible, huh? I guess this is the kind of idiocy we've got to contend with in closed-source binary blobs.

The advice given in one of the comments actually worked for me. Specifically, use a hex editor (such as 'ghex') to alter these two binaries:

/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so

(or the actual binaries these files link to, if they are symbolc links. They were links on my system.)

They each contain one instance of "<null>SGI<null>" (plenty of the string "SGI" in other contexts, but ignore these). Change the single instance in each file to "<null>ATI<null>". Restart X, and you may just have hardware accellerated flash. It worked for me.

big_smile

hmm, wanted to try this, but I don't have a libGL.so.1.2 file, only 1.0. I opened that in ghex2 and there is no incidence of <null>SGI<null>. Is it the wrong file? this is what i have in /usr/lib -- which one to edit?

# ls |grep libGL
libGL.so@
libGL.so.1@
libGL.so.1.orig*
libGL.so.185.18.36*
libGLU.so@
libGLU.so.1@
libGLU.so.1.3.070501*
libGLcore.so.1@
libGLcore.so.185.18.36*
libGLw.so@
libGLw.so.1@
libGLw.so.1.0.0*

Also, I still think it's something more to do with Arch, b/c flash video runs flawlessly in other distros on this same computer. Whatever problem is in the flash code is apparently compensated for better in other distros.

>> edit: also, my server glx vendor string is "NVIDIA Corporation" not SGI, and there is no <null>SGI<null> in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so either.

So I hope this works for some, but for those who have nvidia cards it doesn't appear to be the fix.

Last edited by userlander (2009-09-22 14:17:41)

#31 2009-09-22 14:28:46

Gen2ly
Website

I found this when going through the ubuntu forums.  It actually does help a bit with my nvidia card BIG DISCLAIMER THOUGH: it may not.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#32 2009-09-23 01:05:26

creepytennis

userlander wrote:

>> edit: also, my server glx vendor string is "NVIDIA Corporation" not SGI, and there is no <null>SGI<null> in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so either.

So I hope this works for some, but for those who have nvidia cards it doesn't appear to be the fix.

Hi,

Cheers for replying. If neither of the vendor strings returned by 'glxinfo' contain the string 'SGI' then my suggestion wont help in your case. Sorry if I've messed you around.

Do you have hardware acceleration working generally? That is to say, do you have 'direct rendering: Yes' from glxinfo? If you do, you also need to have the following openGL extensions working for flash acceleration. 'glxinfo' should tell you if they're in operation:

* GL_ARB_multitexture
    * GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
    * GL_ARB_shader_objects
    * GL_ARB_shading_language_100
    * GL_ARB_fragment_shader

If you've got all these, then the only thing stopping the flash player from doing hardware acceleration is its own absurd 'validation' policy. Another suggestion from another Adobe site:

The solution below works with Nvidia 32 bit systems:

1. sudo mkdir /etc/adobe

2. sudo nano /etc/adobe/mms.cfg

3. Paste "OverrideGPUValidation=true" (without quotation marks)

4. Restart Firefox.

The above sadly does not work with the 64 bit Flash.

(From here: http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-1692)

#33 2009-10-01 20:49:40

userlander

creepytennis wrote:
userlander wrote:

Hi,

Cheers for replying. If neither of the vendor strings returned by 'glxinfo' contain the string 'SGI' then my suggestion wont help in your case. Sorry if I've messed you around.

Do you have hardware acceleration working generally? That is to say, do you have 'direct rendering: Yes' from glxinfo? If you do, you also need to have the following openGL extensions working for flash acceleration. 'glxinfo' should tell you if they're in operation:

* GL_ARB_multitexture
    * GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
    * GL_ARB_shader_objects
    * GL_ARB_shading_language_100
    * GL_ARB_fragment_shader

If you've got all these, then the only thing stopping the flash player from doing hardware acceleration is its own absurd 'validation' policy. Another suggestion from another Adobe site:

The solution below works with Nvidia 32 bit systems:

1. sudo mkdir /etc/adobe

2. sudo nano /etc/adobe/mms.cfg

3. Paste "OverrideGPUValidation=true" (without quotation marks)

4. Restart Firefox.

The above sadly does not work with the 64 bit Flash.

(From here: http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-1692)

hey creepytennis, thanks for the detailed reply.

yeah, I saw that about mms.cfg, and I also tried with mm.cfg in the user home directory. No luck. I have all those openGL extensions you listed, so I guess we just have to wait for adobe to get their act together or for some usable open source software replacement (gnash not playing nice, either). 64-bit btw, that's probably a big part of the problem. thx again

#34 2009-10-12 10:50:28

hit

Three steps to make my quite poor system* to run HD videos in youtube smooth:

1. /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Extensions"
        Option  "Composite"     "Enable"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666
EndSection

2. /etc/adobe/mms.cfg

OverrideGPUValidation=1

3. Disable composite (used it only for AWN, which I abandoned now)

gconftool-2 -s '/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager' --type bool false

*system - P4 3.01 Ghz, 756 MB SDRAM, ATI 9550SE 128 MB

#35 2010-05-14 07:58:51

wazow

Let me just add that there is one more thing that did help me.  Even though I have an intel video card, it was actually the sound system that made the video choppy.  I discovered this accidentally by trying to use video players without pulseaudio enabled.  It turns out that a few years ago I have tweaked my pulse install to support skype over alsa better (as per http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#Skype). Since fall skype supports pulse natively and this fix is no longer needed.  But of course, I forgot to revert it. 

After removing

default-fragments = 8
default-fragment-size-msec = 5

from /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and restarting pulse my flash videos play smoothly again!

Board footer