You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-29 02:18:25

fusionlord

Xorg appears to freeze

Hi everybody,

I decided to test out Arch Linux, so I followed the Beginners Guide on the wiki.
I've installed xorg and the xf86-video-ati driver, along with xf86-input-evdev, xf86-input-keyboard, and xf86-input-mouse.
When I tried to test Xorg by starting X into xterm, xterm shows up but it is unresponsive. That is, nothing happens when I tried to type on my keyboard.

So I also tried running X -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but this time, nothing even shows up.

For the above tests, hal and dbus are both running and are put into DAEMONS at the rc.conf, so they would both start at bootup.

Other stuff I've tried:
- Running Xorg -configure and using that file to replace the xorg.conf
- Disabling Xorg input hotplugging

Thanks in advance for your help!

#2 2009-09-29 02:28:03

egan

Re: Xorg appears to freeze

fusionlord wrote:

Hi everybody,

I decided to test out Arch Linux, so I followed the Beginners Guide on the wiki.
I've installed xorg and the xf86-video-ati driver, along with xf86-input-evdev, xf86-input-keyboard, and xf86-input-mouse.
When I tried to test Xorg by starting X into xterm, xterm shows up but it is unresponsive. That is, nothing happens when I tried to type on my keyboard.

So I also tried running X -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but this time, nothing even shows up.

For the above tests, hal and dbus are both running and are put into DAEMONS at the rc.conf, so they would both start at bootup.

Other stuff I've tried:
- Running Xorg -configure and using that file to replace the xorg.conf
- Disabling Xorg input hotplugging

Thanks in advance for your help!

Make sure when you install Xorg, that you install the entire Xorg group rather than trying to pick the packages by hand. You may have missed an important component.

#3 2009-09-29 02:40:30

fusionlord

egan wrote:

Make sure when you install Xorg, that you install the entire Xorg group rather than trying to pick the packages by hand. You may have missed an important component.

Well, I installed xorg by running pacman -S xorg, so I think I installed the whole thing.

#4 2009-09-29 04:46:23

sHyLoCk

fusionlord wrote:
egan wrote:

Well, I installed xorg by running pacman -S xorg, so I think I installed the whole thing.

Just in case:

pacman -S xorg-server xorg-xinit xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse xf86-input-evdev

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#5 2009-09-29 15:27:16

fusionlord

Ok, I ran that command and it just reinstalled all those packages, since I already have them installed, but it still doesn't work.
I've also tried the vesa and the radeon hd drivers.

#6 2009-09-29 20:35:36

Wolverine007

Hi There,

I have the same problem. And I installed xorg completely.
At first I saw in the log that AllowEmptyInput was enabled, this disabled my mouse and keyboard.
So I put this in my xorg.conf file:

Section "ServerFlags
     Option "AllowEmptyInput" "False"
EndSection

But this didn't solve the problem.

Wolverine007

#7 2009-09-30 12:17:50

h2vnteam
Website

The best solution and could be the one that save you a lot of time scratching your hair is using hwd to generate your xorg.conf file after installing those packages sHyLoCk has mentioned above.

Firstly, just install hwd package from AUR then run the following command as root:

# hwd -xa

Now, just run your terminal test again and try to type something. Usually, hwd does optimise the xorg.conf for you, it's a excellent tool to manipulate.

Hope this will help.

Last edited by h2vnteam (2009-09-30 12:19:03)

#8 2009-09-30 14:29:15

Gen2ly
Website

pacman -S xorg

Will install the entire group, so no need to install xorg-server...  The xf86 packages need to be installed separately (almost 100% sure) but what you installed looks good.  When you see the xterm, xorg server is using it's default behavior which is focus window on mouse-hover.  Try what you did before and move the mouse over the window before you try to type

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#9 2009-10-01 08:09:29

Wolverine007

Gen2ly wrote:
pacman -S xorg

Will install the entire group, so no need to install xorg-server...  The xf86 packages need to be installed separately (almost 100% sure) but what you installed looks good.  When you see the xterm, xorg server is using it's default behavior which is focus window on mouse-hover.  Try what you did before and move the mouse over the window before you try to type

Hi,

This problem is solved by focussing the window on mouse-hover. So I can type now. However if I type in xterm then there comes 3 characters while i only press 1 time on 1 button.

Thx already,

Wolverine007

#10 2009-10-02 02:08:27

fusionlord

Gen2ly wrote:
pacman -S xorg

Yeah, I didn't know you had to focus the xterm by moving the mouse over it. So xorg was working all along! Thanks!

#11 2009-10-02 05:53:21

h2vnteam
Website

This is just a minor issue, I normally ignore this test, then start gnome-session. If the mouse or keyboard is frozen..a ha..perhaps, forgot to install input drivers, just pacman them. In most of the cases, the problem will be solved. cool

Last edited by h2vnteam (2009-10-02 05:54:29)

#12 2009-10-02 10:38:32

samsom

Like h2vnteam says, just ignore the test. I believe that it is mentioned in the wiki that the xorg test might not work and you should go ahead and install the Desktop Environment of your choice. Thats what I did ( after a failed Xorg test) and everything went swimmingly.

Samsom

#13 2009-10-02 10:44:21

arkham
Website

The solution is to start hal before starting X:

/etc/rc.d/hal start

See for eventual error logs or warnings.

Last edited by arkham (2009-10-02 10:45:38)

"I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems."

~ Need moar games? [arch-games] ~ [aurcheck] AUR haz updates? ~

Board footer