You are not logged in.

#26 2009-08-18 21:50:20

MindTooth
Member
From: Norway
Registered: 2008-11-11
Posts: 331

Re: rebase: a pacman database synchronization tool

Will do you a complete rewrite? To write it proper this time around I mean.

Birger smile

Offline

#27 2009-08-18 23:04:58

xduugu
Member
Registered: 2008-10-16
Posts: 292

Re: rebase: a pacman database synchronization tool

Wow, that was fast. Thanks, it makes a huge difference for me when I do not have to download a 2mb database again and again.

Didn't notice any problems so far, but I will report back if one occurs.

Offline

#28 2009-10-02 15:05:05

xduugu
Member
Registered: 2008-10-16
Posts: 292

Re: rebase: a pacman database synchronization tool

Thanks, again. I didn't noticed any problem so far using the --by-lastupdate option.

But another small issue I noticed is the database lock. rebase neither sets a lock when updating the database (although there already are subroutines for locking/unlocking the db) nor it respects existing locks. It's probably a good idea to correct this behavior.

Offline

#29 2009-10-03 11:54:41

Xyne
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2008-08-03
Posts: 6,965
Website

Re: rebase: a pacman database synchronization tool

I've (re-?)added database locking.* Thanks, xduugu.



* That surprised me. I really thought that I had already added that functionality. Either I got distracted after writing the subroutines or I refactored the run subroutine and forgot to re-add them. Meh.


My Arch Linux Stuff • Forum Etiquette • Community Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Offline

#30 2010-02-12 13:16:58

aheaume
Member
Registered: 2009-12-09
Posts: 10

Re: rebase: a pacman database synchronization tool

Apparently, the --no-color option doesn't work, the output is still colored, using 4.0-1 from [xyne-any].
Is it the case for you as well ?

edit: I did some further tests, and I can't get --no-color, --silent and --log to work.

Last edited by aheaume (2010-02-12 13:22:07)

Offline

#31 2010-02-13 12:30:35

Xyne
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2008-08-03
Posts: 6,965
Website

Re: rebase: a pacman database synchronization tool

They should all work with perl-xyne-arch>=2010.02.13.3.


My Arch Linux Stuff • Forum Etiquette • Community Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Offline

#32 2010-05-23 17:09:56

forkboy
Member
From: Blackpool, England
Registered: 2005-09-03
Posts: 74

Re: rebase: a pacman database synchronization tool

Not sure if this is a bug but didn't see it documented anywhere, rebase doesn't do anything if mirrorlist contains only ftp repos, it has to have http.

Offline

#33 2010-05-23 17:14:21

Ogion
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2007-12-11
Posts: 367

Re: rebase: a pacman database synchronization tool

I just saw i haven't commented yet. Thanks for this Xyne, i use it every day (and for quite a while now too).

Ogion


(my-dotfiles)
"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
"Enlightenment is man's leaving his self-caused immaturity." - Immanuel Kant

Offline

#34 2010-05-24 20:46:19

Xyne
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2008-08-03
Posts: 6,965
Website

Re: rebase: a pacman database synchronization tool

@forkboy
I have no problem with FTP servers here. I just tested it by removing all HTTP servers and rebase still worked. Try using a different FTP server.

@Ogion
smile


My Arch Linux Stuff • Forum Etiquette • Community Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Offline

#35 2010-05-24 21:00:15

forkboy
Member
From: Blackpool, England
Registered: 2005-09-03
Posts: 74

Re: rebase: a pacman database synchronization tool

Xyne wrote:

@forkboy
I have no problem with FTP servers here. I just tested it by removing all HTTP servers and rebase still worked. Try using a different FTP server.

I tried a few more and you are right they do work, apart from the heanet ftp server, which is the one I normally use.  Strange as pacman -Sy works, suppose its no big deal and I can just use the http server. 

Let me also take this chance to thankyou, another big fan of your work here.  (esp. bauerbill, rebase and a script from you in the paconky thread)

Offline

#36 2010-05-24 21:12:10

Xyne
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2008-08-03
Posts: 6,965
Website

Re: rebase: a pacman database synchronization tool

forkboy wrote:

I tried a few more and you are right they do work, apart from the heanet ftp server, which is the one I normally use.  Strange as pacman -Sy works, suppose its no big deal and I can just use the http server.

It might have something to do with passive FTP settings etc. I use Perl's LWP::Simple for downloading the database archives and it usually "just works" without further configuration. If this were a general FTP issue then I would look into it but in this case it seems that the settings on that server are to blame.

forkboy wrote:

Let me also take this chance to thankyou, another big fan of your work here.  (esp. bauerbill, rebase and a script from you in the paconky thread)

smile


My Arch Linux Stuff • Forum Etiquette • Community Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Offline

#37 2010-06-05 19:58:57

forkboy
Member
From: Blackpool, England
Registered: 2005-09-03
Posts: 74

Re: rebase: a pacman database synchronization tool

I see that FS#15198 will be implemented in pacman 3.4, will this make rebase redundant?

Offline

#38 2010-06-06 19:34:09

Xyne
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2008-08-03
Posts: 6,965
Website

Re: rebase: a pacman database synchronization tool

forkboy wrote:

I see that FS#15198 will be implemented in pacman 3.4, will this make rebase redundant?

Partially, yes. I think rebase will still display more information about changes to  the database, but for most users there will probably be no reason to continue using it.


My Arch Linux Stuff • Forum Etiquette • Community Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Offline

#39 2010-06-06 20:29:21

Ogion
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2007-12-11
Posts: 367

Re: rebase: a pacman database synchronization tool

I for one quite like the little table on what has been added, updated or removed smile

Ogion


(my-dotfiles)
"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
"Enlightenment is man's leaving his self-caused immaturity." - Immanuel Kant

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB