You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-02 21:43:34

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Announcing some new Arch Linux Schwag offerings

Hey All,

I wanted to introduce you to some new Arch Linux Schwag offerings I've been cooking up over the past little while.

I'm currently sold out of case badges, and Simo has faithfully shipped his last order.  I'm trying to think of a way to compensate him, he's done so much work for me on the shipping front and all I ever offered him was dinner, (granted, he's a starving student, and dinner was hopefully much appreciated).  When I reorder stickers, probably in the new year, I will be shipping them myself, from Canada, so domestic prices will be a touch higher.

Now, onwards to Schwag:

It's no secret that I'm the odd man out on the tacos vs poutine debate.  I know you all will come around to my way of thinking eventually, but in the meantime, check out the new schwag where you can proudly pick your piece.  I've also added a few other new t-shirt design, mostly as your suggestions.  Check out the new products line at zazzle to place your order:

http://www.zazzle.com/archlinux/gifts?c … 1284817680

I think most of you know about the laptop bags, jewellery, and case badges (currently out of stock) selling at: http://schwag.archlinux.ca/

I've added a few handmade items of my own invention to the mix, including wooden and soapstone sculptures, keychains, and coasters, all featuring our favourite distro's logo:

http://schwag.archlinux.ca/product/coaster/
http://schwag.archlinux.ca/product/soapstone_sculpture/
http://schwag.archlinux.ca/product/sculpture/
http://schwag.archlinux.ca/product/keychain/

I'm particularly proud of the soapstone sculptures, they look incredible.  I'm not sure I can give them up.  The keychains will also make great stocking stuffers this Christmas season, so remind your friends to shop Arch Schwag!

In addition, I would like to announce a preview of the Arch Linux Handbook.  This should be retailing in a couple weeks, and will be available from both CreateSpace and Amazon.com.  The handbook is basically a quick restyling of the epic beginner's guide in the wiki.  You can preview it here:
https://www.createspace.com/3398103

That's all for now!
Dusty

#2 2009-10-02 21:52:07

Runiq

Re: Announcing some new Arch Linux Schwag offerings

Cool stuff. Like the coasters, and the allanbrokeit shirt is stylish. wink

Also, there's a typo in the handbook's headline: "A simple lightweight Linuk handbook."

#3 2009-10-02 21:59:50

Acecero

Those soapstone sculptures do look very cool. I might have to steal them from you Dusty! lol

Just curious, are you going to release different editions of the Arch Linux Handbook from time to time? I'm assuming the information would need to be updated and the more marketability you will gain anyway.

Runiq wrote:

the allanbrokeit shirt is stylish. wink

Thanks! big_smile

Last edited by Acecero (2009-10-02 22:02:04)

#4 2009-10-02 22:36:33

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Runiq wrote:

Cool stuff. Like the coasters, and the allanbrokeit shirt is stylish. wink

That's Acecero's contribution, as he implies. :-)

Also, there's a typo in the handbook's headline: "A simple lightweight Linuk handbook."

Yeah, I know... sadly, I didn't notice it until it was too late to change (the book was set up for publication).  Now I have to wait for a new edition, or pay $40 to put one out now.

Acecero wrote:

Just curious, are you going to release different editions of the Arch Linux Handbook from time to time? I'm assuming the information would need to be updated and the more marketability you will gain anyway.

I'm hoping to sell between 10 and 50 copies of this edition to pay for the upfront costs before making a new edition.  The more popular it is, the more likely I will be to keep it up to date.

BTW, if anyone is interested in doing cover art for the second edition, get in touch with me.  I've been told that this cover looks like ass (it was gently, with links to tutorials on design :-D)

Dusty

#5 2009-10-02 22:50:12

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Hmm you're apparently all about woodworking these days, aren't ya?

PS Did you ever get the Handbook proof copy?

#6 2009-10-03 01:26:55

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

phrakture wrote:

Hmm you're apparently all about woodworking these days, aren't ya?

I've been doing it since I quite school when I was 12... I had to take a hiatus this past couple years, but now that I'm close to my tools again, I'm getting back into it.

PS Did you ever get the Handbook proof copy?

Not yet.  I'm expecting it this week.

Dusty

#7 2009-10-06 23:30:58

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Hey all,

The Arch Linux Handbook is now available for purchase:
https://www.createspace.com/3398103

It oughta be showing up in Amazon in a couple weeks.  I just received the proof copy in the mail (thanks to our noble overlord for forwarding it). It looks great, outstanding. Even better than I expected.

Thanks for supporting Arch Linux!

Dusty

#8 2009-10-07 00:04:54

lucke

It says Linuk on that page. Whyyyyy.

-edit-

Yeah, it's been noted above. I somehow failed to notice. Whyyyyy.

Last edited by lucke (2009-10-07 00:06:11)

#9 2009-10-07 00:10:45

mikesd
Website

The soapstone sculptures look fantastic. Great work!

#10 2009-10-07 00:21:30

Gen2ly
Website

Looks pretty cool.  Good work, Dusty.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#11 2009-10-07 09:27:01

anjanaya

Hello,
I absolutely would like to purchase the Handbook, but for me the shipping costs are greater than the Handbook cost itself(Economy Shipping $10.50).
Is it the same if shipped to US?
From the createspace Help Page
"We do not currently post shipping & handling rates on our website, because costs vary depending on destination, the shipping speed, and the quantity of items ordered. For exact shipping rates for your order, simply go through the checkout process on the CreateSpace website. Shipping costs will show before final confirmation of your order and before charges are made to your credit card."

If the shipping is lower (or Free :-)) , i will try & find someone coming to India from US who can bring 2 copies (Instead of Paying for shipping) so that i can share the extra one with someone.

Proud Arch x86_64 user

#12 2009-10-07 16:33:41

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

They've actually cut their rates, economy shipping to Canada was about $25 when I originally posted them. Economy to the US was only about $5, IIRC.  So it is definitely lower.

Another option is to wait a couple weeks and order from amazon.com (I'm not sure if will appear in the international sites). They're international shipping is reasonable.

Amazon.com takes twice as much commission as createspace though, so I'd appreciate it if most people, especially US customers, order from there. :-)

Dusty

#13 2009-10-08 20:31:16

lswest
Website

Just to throw in my opinion, I think the woodcarvings are really nice, and I'll be sure to order a few if I realize I have room to spare (and the money to spend tongue).  The soapstone is cool too, reminds me of my art class (we did soapstone carving), but mine kind of ended up looking like, well, soapstone. tongue  Nice work!

The handbook is a nice idea too, I'll be sure to mention it to people when asked!  (I may purchase a copy myself, depends what shipping is like from Amazon).
Lswest

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

Board footer