You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-19 12:30:42

bluplr

Network card not recognised - half of the time

Well I say half of the time I mean about 80% of the time..

So yeah, essentially my marvell yukon integrated nic card isn't seen by arch most of the time. This has been happening since day 1, and I can't find any consistency between when it work and when it doesn't work to determine the cause. What would happen is I'd turn on my pc and the little lan light on my router would be either on or off. I select arch from grub menu and the kernel would start to boot, when it started hal (or what the hardware detection program is, can't remember) the little lan light would turn off or stay off if it wasn't on already. After hal does its stuff, we get to starting network, at this point the little lan light either flickers on, to indicate all is working fine, or doesn't flicker on and waits a minute before telling me network failed.

If I get network field I simply restart the pc, and try a scurry of tricks to try and get it to work again. These range from turning the router off and on, rebooting from debian, rebooting from windows, logging into windows and shutting it down from the power button (in case it's a wake on lan problem), log into windows and log into administrator and then shutting down from the power button (this actually makes a difference..) and finally changing which hard drive boots 1st in my bios options to make grub on the arch HDD come up (this usually gives the best results, again I don't know why).

The problem started when I 1st installed arch and tried to boot it using the grub menu on another HDD, when I tried to do this, arch would never boot with internet, when I switched back to booting the arch HDD 1st it always worked. I didn't (and still don't) understand why this happened. Then I got sick of going into the bios and tried everything on this page. After that, arch would sometimes boot off the grub on the other HDD. However since it wasn't perfect, I tried that page again, numerous times. At the start I thought it was unloaded modules, but I've followed the instructions a million times. Then I thought it was the wake on lan problem, but manually shutting down windows doesn't do the trick. Also, majority of the time I can't connect is if I use arch last night, and turn it on this morning, so I'm fairly sure it's not that. The only real thing I can think of is booting from a different hard drive and having grub link to the Arch HDD somehow disables arch from recognising the card. Even still it doesn't always work when I do that.

Thanks for reading, I really hope there's an embarrassingly obvious answer I'm missing, any help would be appreciated.

#2 2009-09-19 13:47:16

bt

Re: Network card not recognised - half of the time

Please see my post in this section: Intermittent Hardware detection. I went through this for a week with a sound card. I solved it by adding pci=noacpi to the kernel line in menu.lst in /boot/grub.

#3 2009-10-03 21:22:24

bluplr

Re: Network card not recognised - half of the time

I'm afraid that hasn't solved anything, initially I thought there was improvements as it worked a successively a few times after that, and hwdetect --show-net also showed more ignored modules, but not it's gone back to the way it was, perhaps worse, and hwdetect --show-net shows the same old modules. Any help is greatly appreciated, this is the only problem I've had in Arch over the last 6 months, but it's very annoying..

Board footer