You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-06 10:57:10

legolas558

[fsck] Superblock last write time is in the future

Hello,

I have HARDWARECLOCK="localtime" in my rc.conf but every time I reboot I get the below fsck error

Superblock last write time is in the future

then I am required to enter root password to get a shell. I usually fix the issue by remounting the root partition as read-write and rebooting. Strangely, on next reboot fsck will fix the issue, run a complete fsck and then give me my Arch Linux.

Some notes:

1) I have always had this last write time issue, but previously (1 month ago?) fsck just fixed it and continued the boot process, didn't stop asking me the root password
2) if I use 'rw' in the kernel command-line I can never boot because it always stops asking for root password, even after running fsck through a livecd, so I am currently using 'ro'

Has somebody any clue about this problem?

My relevant fstab line is:

LABEL=LINUX             /       ext3            defaults,noatime                                                0  1

Thanks

Last edited by legolas558 (2009-10-06 10:59:43)

.-.   ,---,---.--.
| |__  \ \ \ \`//.
`----'`--'`--'`--'

#2 2009-10-06 12:00:06

Ramses de Norre

Re: [fsck] Superblock last write time is in the future

I encountered this too and I worked around it by setting my bios clock to my system time, it was a month off. I never encountered this issue before though and I guess this is a bug in some program (fsck?).
So until this is fixed, try setting your bios clock to the same time your system's at. And maybe file a bug.

#3 2009-10-06 12:04:40

ChemBro

Maybe root isn't unmounted before restart?

#4 2009-10-06 12:19:19

shining
Pacman Developer

I experimented a lot with nouveau during the last month, getting a lot of kernel crashes.
I got this issue after every crash, it was very annoying tongue Even though I could always unmount fs cleanly with sysrq+sub

Near the end of my experiments, I think switching from localtime to UTC solved the problem. But it will mess things up next time I boot windows...
And anyway nouveau stopped crashing tongue

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#5 2009-10-06 13:06:11

legolas558

ChemBro wrote:

Maybe root isn't unmounted before restart?

I also thought about this. Can you suggest me how to check this? Kernel messages contain nothing because I think syslogd is stopped before unmounting the devices.

Before installing Arch Linux I was using another distro with JFS and quitted that because JFS could never unmount my partition...

.-.   ,---,---.--.
| |__  \ \ \ \`//.
`----'`--'`--'`--'

#6 2009-10-06 13:18:05

legolas558

Ramses de Norre wrote:

I encountered this too and I worked around it by setting my bios clock to my system time, it was a month off. I never encountered this issue before though and I guess this is a bug in some program (fsck?).
So until this is fixed, try setting your bios clock to the same time your system's at. And maybe file a bug.

This is not a solution! There is a reason if I keep localtime in my system, and no I am not going to change it because of a bug. That's Windows solutions, not Linux.

Some bug reports found with uncle Google:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=540575
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=343662
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/427822

.-.   ,---,---.--.
| |__  \ \ \ \`//.
`----'`--'`--'`--'

Board footer