You are not logged in.

#201 2009-10-08 20:54:18

mrunion
Website

Re: gnome unstable repository

From earlier in the thread...(answers why it's not in [testing])

http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/ … 13681.html

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#202 2009-10-08 23:02:02

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

syms wrote:

Since all of gnome 2.28 packages are available, why it isnt moved to [testing]?

It would cause a lot of load on the mirrors, and use up tons of bandwidth due to the sheer size of the packages. When ready it'll be moved straight to [extra]. That's what was said on the ML anyway. Hopefully the new symlink-based repos will be implemented soon, moving packages would be so much easier then.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#203 2009-10-09 01:50:43

Thek586

Oh hai !
After the theft of my hard drive, i re install my favorite distro ! big_smile
Im going to enable gnome-unstable right from the start  smile

#204 2009-10-09 09:49:19

linfan

syms wrote:

Please, don't hurry :-) Better it be definitely stable before transition.

#205 2009-10-09 11:06:16

Bl@ster
Website

linfan wrote:
syms wrote:

Please, don't hurry :-) Better it be definitely stable before transition.

I would be proud to see Metacity patched to solve this problem with Compiz big_smile

#206 2009-10-10 08:20:16

alexk
Website

Yay, just installed Gnome 2.28 from the unstable repo, works flawlessly! smile

#207 2009-10-10 08:22:48

Leye

Hi,

I've been using GNOME 2.28 for a couple of days now, and I'm really enchanted so far. The only bug that I saw is the grey area in the notification panel. As for me, it seems that only Banshee is affected. Never mind, I really appreciate the hard work that is done to deliver the packages. smile

As a GNOME lover, I'm curious about the GNOME build process in Arch. The GNOME website itself states that one should use the packages that come along with the distribution, and they recommend jhbuild if otherwise. Now whenever a new GNOME version is released, what exactly is done so that in the end the packages are available in [extra]? I wonder if there's something like a PKGBUILD for something as big as GNOME, and if so, what does it look like? What methods are used to build the GNOME packages?

In addition, will reporting bugs be a good support for the GNOME packagers? smile

I'm a bug squasher newbie, but if there's anything I can help with, I'd love to. smile

#208 2009-10-10 08:28:52

Bl@ster
Website

Leye wrote:

Hi,

I've been using GNOME 2.28 for a couple of days now, and I'm really enchanted so far. The only bug that I saw is the grey area in the notification panel. As for me, it seems that only Banshee is affected. Never mind, I really appreciate the hard work that is done to deliver the packages. smile

As a GNOME lover, I'm curious about the GNOME build process in Arch. The GNOME website itself states that one should use the packages that come along with the distribution, and they recommend jhbuild if otherwise. Now whenever a new GNOME version is released, what exactly is done so that in the end the packages are available in [extra]? I wonder if there's something like a PKGBUILD for something as big as GNOME, and if so, what does it look like? What methods are used to build the GNOME packages?

In addition, will reporting bugs be a good support for the GNOME packagers? smile

I'm a bug squasher newbie, but if there's anything I can help with, I'd love to. smile

Package GNOME in Arch? Write the PKGBUILD and makepkg it wink
Nothing special tongue (I think, if JGC want to answer...)

#209 2009-10-10 09:40:32

mojomagic

I know the packages won't be moving to [extra] until they're guaranteed to be stable, but could you give me an estimate of when we should expect that move to happen?
Kudos for the all the hard work and dedication.

#210 2009-10-10 09:43:58

Bl@ster
Website

mojomagic wrote:

I know the packages won't be moving to [extra] until they're guaranteed to be stable, but could you give me an estimate of when we should expect that move to happen?
Kudos for the all the hard work and dedication.

I'm using GNOME 2.28 productively, i'm working using it and i believe it's stable.
There's only that nasty and noisy problem with Metacity and Compiz -.-'

#211 2009-10-10 09:54:30

napsy

I'm having troubles with gdm. I select the user from the list but the password entry never shows up. So the only thing I can do is to kill gdm and start my session with startx.

Any solutions for this problem?

#212 2009-10-10 10:29:02

Cosmin

- how can I configure gdm?
- I wait for gnome-shell and empathy big_smile

#213 2009-10-10 10:32:39

Bl@ster
Website

Cosmin wrote:

gksudo -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-appearance-properties

In that window you can decide GTK controls, wallpaper, fonts... as the same as your GNOME desktop wink

#214 2009-10-10 11:16:50

Cosmin

Bl@ster wrote:
Cosmin wrote:

In that window you can decide GTK controls, wallpaper, fonts... as the same as your GNOME desktop wink

So ... no more themes and I do not find sesions ... it is not possible o use other sesion beside gnome?

#215 2009-10-10 11:26:19

Bl@ster
Website

Cosmin wrote:
Bl@ster wrote:
Cosmin wrote:

So ... no more themes and I do not find sesions ... it is not possible o use other sesion beside gnome?

There's a bar below, look there big_smile

#216 2009-10-10 12:18:00

alexk
Website

Leye wrote:

The only bug that I saw is the grey area in the notification panel. As for me, it seems that only Banshee is affected.

I'm seeing this with Banshee, Pidgin and CheckGmail. Banshee bug is filed as bgo#588255.

#217 2009-10-10 12:32:41

Cosmin

Bl@ster wrote:
Cosmin wrote:
Bl@ster wrote:

In the bar below I have only languages and keyboard ... no session ... and I do not find also how to autologin

#218 2009-10-10 12:56:09

Bl@ster
Website

Cosmin wrote:
Bl@ster wrote:
Cosmin wrote:

In the bar below I have only languages and keyboard ... no session ... and I do not find also how to autologin

If you select your user, the "Session" menù will appear. It happens for me smile

#219 2009-10-11 06:00:46

gour

Just to say that yesterday I installed 2.28 over xfce-4.6 and eveything works nicely (with xmonad wm).

Packager(s) did great job. thumbs up cool

Sincerely,
Gour

#220 2009-10-11 06:37:42

cleanrock

Cosmin wrote:
Bl@ster wrote:
Cosmin wrote:

Strange you cant select session, but you can set it manually in ~/.dmrc, e.g :
[Desktop]
Session=gnome
Language=en_US.UTF-8
Layout=se

You can enable autologin by editing /etc/gdm/custom.conf, e.g :
[daemon]
AutomaticLogin=<username>
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
See http://library.gnome.org/admin/gdm/2.28 … figuration

It seems configuring gdm is a bit hard at the moment.

#221 2009-10-11 07:14:58

cleanrock

I use [gnome-unstable] on [extra] (no [testing]).
The problems i have seen so far is :
- logging out from gnome takes a few seconds, perhaps this is a new feature, do anyone else see this ?
- gnome-terminal seems to be moved by metacity spontaneously sometimes on terminal output (it often happen when i do a yaourt -Syu)
- xfce4 is partly broken (some apps in xfce4-settings) because of the new libxklavier, hopefully a rebuild of xfce4-settings will be enough
- configuring gdm is difficult

I was hoping to see drag-n-drop work with Alt-Tab with gnome 2.28 and gtk+ 2.18 but no luck, perhaps all gnome devs are busy implementing eye-candy smile.
It seems it is possible to have this working with a patch they use in Fedora:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=135056

#222 2009-10-11 08:29:37

Leye

Bl@ster wrote:
Leye wrote:

Hi,

Package GNOME in Arch? Write the PKGBUILD and makepkg it wink
Nothing special tongue (I think, if JGC want to answer...)

Ah, this is really an Arch way! big_smile

If PKGBUILD is the answer, I bet it will be full of pachtes and so on, won't it? You see I'm just curious about compiling something as big as GNOME. As I've mentioned I'd try jhbuild, but I wonder how it is done in Arch. smile

#223 2009-10-11 13:30:03

linfan

cleanrock wrote:

I use [gnome-unstable] on [extra] (no [testing])....

How is it possible? Earlier JGC told me here in the forums that you cannot install gnome-2.28 unless you have testing enabled?

#224 2009-10-11 14:01:59

cleanrock

linfan wrote:
cleanrock wrote:

How is it possible? Earlier JGC told me here in the forums that you cannot install gnome-2.28 unless you have testing enabled?

He also wrote he got it working with only [extra], it has been ok for me so far. I had to recompile xfce4-settings to have xfce working fully though.

#225 2009-10-11 14:58:35

Nepherte
Website

linfan wrote:
cleanrock wrote:

He rebuilt the gnome packages against extra.

Board footer