You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-09 12:58:34

bozack
Website

sshfs and problems with unmounting after pm-hibernate

Hi,

I often have a drive at my school mounted via sshfs on my own laptop. This works fine, and I can easily unmount the drive again via fusermount -u.

But a problem shows up when I forget to unmount the drive before I go to hibernate (by pm-hibernate from pm-utils). When I boot up the laptop again (usually on some other geographic location, and hence on another network), there is no connection to the drive (if I try to cd to the mount-point the terminal simply hangs), and I cannot unmount with fusermount -u, which simply gives me the error message

umount: /mnt/datf: device is busy.
        (In some cases useful info about processes that use
         the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))

and hence I cannot re-mount the drive with sshfs either. I have to reboot to be able to remount the drive...

Does anyone know how to do any of the following?:
* force-unmount the drive after a hibernate
* automatically unmount the drive when I go to hibernate

Last edited by bozack (2009-10-09 12:59:51)

#2 2009-10-09 14:40:56

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: sshfs and problems with unmounting after pm-hibernate

bozack wrote:

Hi,

I often have a drive at my school mounted via sshfs on my own laptop. This works fine, and I can easily unmount the drive again via fusermount -u.

But a problem shows up when I forget to unmount the drive before I go to hibernate (by pm-hibernate from pm-utils). When I boot up the laptop again (usually on some other geographic location, and hence on another network), there is no connection to the drive (if I try to cd to the mount-point the terminal simply hangs), and I cannot unmount with fusermount -u, which simply gives me the error message

umount: /mnt/datf: device is busy.
        (In some cases useful info about processes that use
         the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))

and hence I cannot re-mount the drive with sshfs either. I have to reboot to be able to remount the drive...

Does anyone know how to do any of the following?:
* force-unmount the drive after a hibernate
* automatically unmount the drive when I go to hibernate

Well, I hibernate using suspend2 (tuxonice) and the hibernate-script, in the configuration file for that you can list down the drives or filesystems you want unmounted before hibernating. Not sure about the pm-utils way though, never managed to get that working.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2009-10-09 14:52:19

bozack
Website

ngoonee wrote:

Well, I hibernate using suspend2 (tuxonice) and the hibernate-script, in the configuration file for that you can list down the drives or filesystems you want unmounted before hibernating. Not sure about the pm-utils way though, never managed to get that working.

Hmm maybe I'll take a look at that. Did you just use the Arch wiki article on suspend to disk to install and configure it?

Actually I have some problems with pm-utils, and it is only the hibernate (suspending to disk) that works. I would like suspend to ram to work as well. Have you got this working with tuxonice? smile

#4 2009-10-09 14:59:28

Ramses de Norre

Read /usr/share/doc/pm-utils/HOWTO.hooks about the hooks mechanism of pm-utils.
You want something like this in /etc/pm/sleep.d/64unmount_sshfs:

#!/bin/bash
case $1 in
    hibernate | suspend)
        fusermount -u /dev/...
        ;;
    thaw | resume)
        exit 0
        ;;
    *)
        echo "somebody is calling me totally wrong."
        ;;
esac

exit 0

The scripts are handled in lexicographic order, yours should start with a number between 50 and 74 (service-handling hooks), 64 is just a possibility.

Edit: you can also try to remount the partition in the thaw | resume part.

Last edited by Ramses de Norre (2009-10-09 15:00:26)

Board footer