You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-05 19:54:30

Intrepid

[SOLVED] Keyboard & Mouse stop working after starting X11.

Basically, every time I start up arch anymore there are several major problems.  1) the system won't let me log in in Xorg or really all my vty's, saying there's a timestamp too far in the future.  This problem is "fixed" by changing the date then remounting the boot and root folders.  Which leads me to my next problem 2) This occurs especially after I have started Windows 7.  I think the method that Arch and Windows 7 handle the clock is incompatible.

3) Most importantly, when I do fix the situation, 9/10 times the keyboard and mouse stop working IMMEDIATELY entering X11.  I am using catalyst drivers and fairly typical USB keyboard/mouse.

What can I do to ensure compatibility between Windows 7 and Linux, and how to I fix this keyboard/mouse problem?  This problem didn't occur when I recently installed arch on this new machine last week.

Last edited by Intrepid (2009-10-09 16:18:22)

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#2 2009-10-06 01:38:07

tavianator
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard & Mouse stop working after starting X11.

For 1) and 2), set HARDWARECLOCK="localtime" in /etc/rc.conf.  Then boot into Windows, make sure the time is correct, then back to Arch.

For 3), my guess would be to ensure that hal is started before X - i.e. must not be backgrounded in your DAEMONS array, and must run before X does (via DAEMONS or /etc/inittab).

#3 2009-10-07 23:06:32

Intrepid

oh wow thank you!  It is in fact backgrounded.  I will unbackground it and try to boot in right away.  That actually sounds like a great possibility, as my machine is quite fast.

Update: Did nothing.  I fixed the system clock problem, but unfortunately no matter what I do I cannot get pointer or mouse functionality after entering X11.  I even tried disabling Hal hotplugging like the wiki explained, however that did not help in the slightest.  Now the situation is even worse because GDM doesn't even show its login anymore. sad

Last edited by Intrepid (2009-10-08 17:49:14)

#4 2009-10-08 22:56:24

s0L

try install xf86-input-mouse and xf86-input-keyboard

#5 2009-10-09 16:18:03

Intrepid

Ok well thanks for the advice s0L.  My problems are resolved after repackaging catalyst drivers and upgrading the kernel to testing.  For whatever reason the clock problem is gone.  Now then, welcome to the forums.

Others are having these same two problems.  What I had to do: reinstall catalyst drivers, keep my graphics sections in xorg, and get rid of the corepointer and corekeyboard entries under serverlayout.  Somehow this time when I edited the file it actually worked.  Although installing the xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse probably would have worked as well; thus they are using evdev most likely as of now.

Last edited by Intrepid (2009-10-09 16:21:02)

Board footer