You are not logged in.

#26 2009-06-11 10:14:39

Cosmin

Re: Xiphos will not run.

TripleE wrote:

I changed my theme to "GMilk" and now Xiphos opens.  I change my theme to "Candido" and Xiphos locks up or gives some kind of error.  Could something in the theme be causing a problem?  Can you please list what theme you are using, and if Xiphos (with version number) is working for you or not?

for me it works with every theme just the icons have to be svg: Gnome SVG or HighCosntrast-SVG

#27 2009-08-04 15:41:52

Cosmin

Is anyone able to run xiphos with any iconset in gnome?

#28 2009-08-08 18:45:03

TripleE

After some more playing, it appear that I can use ANY icon set I want to as long as I use the "HighContrast" Controls (System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Customize (button) -> Controls (tab)).  I am using the Tango icons right now.  It does not appear that icons is the issue, but Xiphos needs a certain "Controls" setup.

HP Chromebook 14

#29 2009-08-08 19:49:36

Cosmin

Are not so nice Controls "HighContrast" or "LowContrast" or the svg icon packs for gnome ... So it's the same for me ... sad change the icons or controls before using xiphos
It's curios that on ubuntu it works with any icon set or Cortrols. Why not on arch?

#30 2009-08-09 02:58:50

TripleE

I think I have gotten closer to finding the issue thanks to the #xiphos irc channel.  It appears that the "image decoder" in gnome is crashing xiphos while trying to find/load the icons.  That is why HighContrast and a few other themes work.  They are defined in the "controls" of the theme (/usr/share/themes/HighContrast/gtk-2.0/gtkrc).  From the guy at #xiphos is telling me.  They are having no problems with Xiphos on Ubuntu or Fedora.  I guess that is the big 2 they care about sad

Should this be submitted on the bugs.archlinux.org site?

HP Chromebook 14

#31 2009-08-09 03:16:26

skottish
Forum Fellow

TripleE wrote:

Should this be submitted on the bugs.archlinux.org site?

I'd say no unless you've discovered a patch or a work-around. Stefan Husmann has been active in this thread ever since adopting the package, so the issue is known. As well, it's an upstream bug that the developers don't seem real motivated to fix. That part's too bad. It's a nice, simple front-end to the Sword Project files.

#32 2009-08-10 11:50:51

charcoal

skottish wrote:

it's an upstream bug that the developers don't seem real motivated to fix.

I am project admin for Xiphos.

We do not perceive it as a bug in Xiphos because it is in ArchLinux, and ArchLinux alone, that this problem arises.

There are two distributions within which we know Xiphos has problems, ArchLinux and Foresight.  In both cases, it is an isolated issue causing a crash in libraries deep beneath any control that Xiphos has.  In Foresight, an apparent bug in their somewhat older glibc is tickled by xulrunner, by which we display most text panes.  In ArchLinux, you have some difference in icon management which is not seen in Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware, SUSE, Puppy, or Foresight.  (When Xiphos is built in Foresight without xulrunner [we also support gtkhtml3; dumber, less pretty, but more prevalent and reliable], it runs fine.)  Xiphos is also successful even on Windows, using a win32 port of GTK.

TripleE has diagnosed this as far as determining the failure to be the lack of reference to "cancel" in non-contrasty examples of /usr/share/themes/*/gtk-2.0/gtkrc.  It would seem a worthwhile exercise to learn why this is a problem in your GTK or GNOME release when it clearly does not affect all these other distributions.  Within Xiphos, it's not as though we have control over whether, or how, the cancel icon is implemented, ergo it is your libs' difficulty in self-management of these icons.  As I said, this occurs deep beneath any control that Xiphos has over how the libs as a whole implement standard icons.

In having this difficulty, ArchLinux is a minority of one.  I will be overjoyed to fix any bona fide bug we have -- we have a long reputation for extraordinarily rapid response to actual bugs, and our current buglist is only 3 entries long, 2 of which are probable cockpit errors -- but unless someone can describe how Xiphos is misusing standard icons (how would one misuse a standard icon in the first place?), then the bug appears to us to remain in your distribution.

#33 2009-08-10 23:17:11

charcoal

By the way, an especially interesting exercise would be to add a "cancel" reference to one of the non-high-contrast themes' gtkrc, log out and back in, and see if Xiphos begins working under that theme.  We already know that the high-contrast themes work, and that they have "cancel" references.  This would rapidly nail down the question, if simply adding such a reference makes things work.

Xiphos is of course utterly oblivious to the theme under which it is running.

#34 2009-08-10 23:39:00

skottish
Forum Fellow

Welcome to the forums charcoal and thanks for coming in.

I'm really not sure on how the 'cancel' line would be missing out of the theme engines considering how vanilla Arch does things, but obviously you're seeing something that I can't find here. Would you mind posting a sample gtkrc file here so we can try? Maybe for something very common like gnome-icon-theme (assuming that one works).

--EDIT--

Never mind. And you are correct that I'm wrong.

In the past, every time that I'm tried to get Xiphos running, it simply segfaulted. I tried removing all traces of themes, and it always segfaulted. I tried again right now because of this conversation, and sure enough, it will start now. It is in fact choking on icon themes. In this case it's the black-white icon theme. The black-white icon theme has these cancel images:

pacman -Ql black-white-icon-theme | grep -i cancel
black-white-icon-theme /usr/share/icons/black-white/16x16/actions/gtk-cancel.png
black-white-icon-theme /usr/share/icons/black-white/22x22/actions/gtk-cancel.png
black-white-icon-theme /usr/share/icons/black-white/32x32/actions/gtk-cancel.png
black-white-icon-theme /usr/share/icons/black-white/48x48/actions/gtk-cancel.png
black-white-icon-theme /usr/share/icons/black-white/64x64/actions/gtk-cancel.png

Where as gnome-icon-theme has these:

gnome-icon-theme /usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/actions/gtk-cancel.png
gnome-icon-theme /usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/stock/generic/stock_calc-cancel.png
gnome-icon-theme /usr/share/icons/gnome/22x22/actions/gtk-cancel.png
gnome-icon-theme /usr/share/icons/gnome/24x24/actions/gtk-cancel.png
gnome-icon-theme /usr/share/icons/gnome/24x24/stock/generic/stock_calc-cancel.png
gnome-icon-theme /usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32/actions/gtk-cancel.png
gnome-icon-theme /usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/actions/gtk-cancel.svg

#35 2009-08-11 00:07:06

charcoal

skottish wrote:

I'm really not sure on how the 'cancel' line would be missing out of the theme engines considering how vanilla Arch does things

On my Fedora11 system:
$ grep -il cancel /usr/share/themes/*/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
/usr/share/themes/HighContrast/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
/usr/share/themes/HighContrastInverse/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
/usr/share/themes/HighContrastLargePrint/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
/usr/share/themes/HighContrastLargePrintInverse/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
/usr/share/themes/LowContrast/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
/usr/share/themes/LowContrastLargePrint/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

Only low- and high-contrast gtkrc have cancel references, and this result is the same between Fedora and Arch.  This is the distinction that TripleE already found: Xiphos works under all these odd-contrast themes, as re-confirmed today by an Arch user going by the name "dogfish" in Freenode #xiphos.  Themes lacking a cancel reference cause failure.

The operational difference is that my, and most other, systems don't see GTK icon interpretation falling on its face when "cancel" is missing.  Yours does.  I can't explain why, other than that you have some difference in GTK standard icon management (or gtkrc parsing, perhaps -- default values supplied, to fill in any gaps of "absolutely needed" icons?) vis-a-vis Fedora, Ubuntu, and all the others.

#36 2009-08-11 00:22:46

skottish
Forum Fellow

Generally speaking when an icon problem arises on Arch, GTK2 falls back onto another. There are no other GTK2 apps on my system that ever crash because of an icon issue. I've never seen it outside of here. Curiously, gnome-icon-theme doesn't have any reference to the cancel button anywhere in it's source code. This seems to point to GTK like you said. Without trying to run around in little circles here, this is Arch's configure line for GTK2:

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc \
      --localstatedir=/var --with-xinput=yes \
      --without-libjasper \
      --with-included-loaders=png || return 1

By the way, I don't want to hijack this thread with a development question I have on your software (I'd have to yell at myself being a mod and all). Are you on IRC often?

#37 2009-08-11 00:26:15

charcoal

skottish wrote:

Are you on IRC often?

Almost constantly.  Look in #xiphos (and #sword).

#38 2009-08-11 00:35:56

Rumor

I'm the guy who is "dogfish" in #xiphos on freenode. My usual nick is registered to someone else.

/usr/share/themes/HighContrast/gtk-2.0/gtkrc has this line (among MANY other "STOCK" lines:

stock["gtk-cancel"] =           {{ "stock_cancel.png" }}

which I don't find in other themes like clearlooks or murrine. I haven't tried adding the line to see if xiphos will then run in with the theme.

Smarter than a speeding bullet
My Goodreads profile

#39 2009-08-13 22:40:24

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

May I add that this does not ONLY affect Xiphos, I was searching for a solution to the same type of errors in Rainlendar and found this thread. Rainlendar itself works fine, but on a right-click->options there's a crash with icon-related errors. Doesn't happen with Hi-Contrast.

It does not seem this is on the bug-tracker, so I assume mentioning this here qualifies as bug-reporting? Rainlendar is from the AUR, by the way.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#40 2009-08-13 22:56:37

charcoal

I'm glad that another case has been found.  That adds to support for the problem being local to Arch's GTK icon mgmt.

Has anyone yet just done the obvious test, to add a cancel reference to e.g. ClearLooks, to see what happens then?

#41 2009-08-14 00:34:25

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I'm actually uncertain as to what "add a cancel reference" means. Apologies.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#42 2009-08-14 00:50:06

charcoal

Themes are defined in /usr/share/themes/*/gtk-2.0/gtkrc.  High-contrast themes have a cancel reference, and no crash occurs with them in use.  Other themes (e.g. Clearlooks) do not have a cancel reference, and crashes happen with those.  If one were to make a quick change to Clearlooks' gtkrc so as to add a cancel reference, I would be curious to know whether Xiphos and Rainlendar stop crashing.

#43 2009-08-14 01:59:56

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

charcoal, I'm using the Arch-Dark theme. when I add

stock["gtk-cancel"] =           {{ "" }}

to the gtkrc, the crash does not happen anymore. Obviously, there IS no cancel icon in that case (just a 'not-found' icon), but at least it works.

#44 2009-08-14 16:44:48

tankmcp

tried adding this

stock["gtk-cancel"] =           {{ "stock_cancel.png" }}

to /usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

and get error starting Xiphos

{correction, I finally put this in correctly and received another error} /usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:426: error: invalid keyword `stock', expected valid keyword - e.g. `style' {sorry about the wrong correction}

my new error state cannot find stock_cancel.png in pixmap_path

still crashes in Gnome.

BTW, I can get it to start in Openbox, but Xiphos crashes on any right click.  As root in Openbox, however the program runs just fine. (Root in Gnome still crashes like above.)

Last edited by tankmcp (2009-08-14 20:15:42)

#45 2009-09-23 13:16:42

Stefan Husmann

Look at the bug report and try that workaround, please. Can it be confirmed?

#46 2009-09-23 20:05:14

tankmcp

Tried the work around with no success.

#47 2009-10-09 18:53:50

tankmcp

Installed new xiphos on i686 using [gnome-unstable] (gnome 2.28) and encountered no segmentation faults or problems. Will try x86_64 soon.

[edit: additions x86_64]

I installed gnome-icon-theme (2.28.0-1) from [gnome-unstable] on x86_64 and the segmentation fault disappears in Openbox (and I would assume gnome).
Looks like the problem was in the gnome-icon-theme.

Last edited by tankmcp (2009-10-10 14:22:52)

#48 2009-10-23 15:51:34

pive

Hi all,

I had a similar issue with Ultra-Edit for linux (beta version), which was segfaulting with the following output:
Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'gtk-floppy' for stock: Fatal error reading PNG image file: out of place IDAT errors

I have no Gnome / KDE desktop installed, just basic install + Xorg/Slim/Openbox/GTK and extras.

Thanks to different comments in the forum, I fixed the issue by installing "gnome-icon-theme" package.All missing icons are now present on my system. Seems there is some kind of dependency between GTK and the basic gnome icon theme.

Hope it helps.

#49 2009-10-23 16:43:45

Cosmin

xiphos runs now, but i will stick with bibletime big_smile

#50 2009-10-25 00:51:04

TripleE

Xiphos is running fine for me to.  Woot!!!

HP Chromebook 14

Board footer