You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-10 06:07:30

PrimoTurbo
Website

How do you mount a samba share, no pass. [SOLVED]

So if you have no password on windows and you are sharing a folder, how would you mount it on arch if there is no password?

This is a local machine with no internet access so please I don't need any lectures on security, thanks.

Last edited by PrimoTurbo (2009-10-10 12:10:36)

#2 2009-10-10 06:25:47

fumbles

Re: How do you mount a samba share, no pass. [SOLVED]

I've come across this problem before. I think you are going to need to make a password. You don't need to use it, you just need it set. ie. You can still log on without a password but still have one.

If it's a XP/Vista/Win7 Box, one of the following should work:

Start->Run-> control userpassword2

OR

Start->Run-> netplwiz

Then unselect the checkbox which says something like "User requires a password to log on". Then enter you recently set password, then you are done!

#3 2009-10-10 09:38:45

PrimoTurbo
Website

So yeah I've set a password, I guess there is no way to do it without.

Anyways when I do:

sudo mount.cifs //hostip/share /media/samba -o user=myuser,pass=mypass,domain=mydomain

I get the following error:

mount error 13 = Permission denied

All the parameters seem to be correct, I don't understand why there is an error the machine I'm trying to access is a Windows XP SP3. Any ideas?

#4 2009-10-10 10:49:34

PrimoTurbo
Website

I tried the following: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= … stcount=17

I jut want to report that after a long research I finally found what the problem was

First of all I found out that it had nothing to do with Ubuntu, that was something that it took me out of track for a long while.

After researching posts on differents linux forums, and based on that knoppix livecd have the same problem, I realized that the problem resided somewhere else. this post game me some ideas: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...e-help-456024/ as I did some changes to the rc.local and created another bootfile in /etc/init.d folder, but nothing of that helped.

One of the things that kept me trying to find an answer was that from Windows Vista I could open Windows Explorer and see the Ubuntu Shares and even copy files from windows to Ubuntu.

So finally I realized that the windows vista computer that have the shares is part of a small network I have with windows server 2003, so I went to check the security policies on that server 2003 and find out that there is a GPO (group policiy Object) attached to the OU (organizational Unit) where the Windows Vista Computer is located.

So I edited that GPO. the security policies in particular that were affecting the mounting of the windows share in Ubuntu were one of the followings: (I disabled all of them to make sure so anyone reading this may play around with them):

on the GPO open: Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies.

Disable the following setting:
- Domain Member: Digitally Encript or Sign secure channel data (always)
= I also disabled the "when Possible", same line as above, just to make sure but may work without disabling it
- Microsoft Network client: Digital sign communications (always)
- I also disabled the "if serves agree", same line as above, to make sure but may work without disabling it
- last line I disabled or not configured was one that says: Network Security LAN Authentication Level wich can be setup to accept only NTLMv2 only with is more secure, but I set it as Not configured.

These can be found also in a computer that is not networked, just at the RUN command type MMC and from there open GROUP POLICY EDITOR.

Once I did those changes, I run the command: "gpupdate /force" at the windows vista computer, and rebooted the Ubuntu server and things work as a charm.
Thanks to anyone who reply to this post and helped me solve this issue.
Regards.

Still the same problem sad

#5 2009-10-10 12:16:36

PrimoTurbo
Website

I found out the solution, it has to do with Windows not with Linux. When you set a password for Windows, with out having one. It makes all the folders private, even if they are shared.

For example, I had a shared folder under My Documents which was set to private under Properties > Sharing Tab > Make this folder private. I had to make My Documents non-private and then set all the folders I did not want anyone to access to to "Make this folder private" inside My Documents. The folder I wanted to share I selected "Share this folder on the network".

I also did the following: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= … stcount=17
But I'm not sure if this actually did anything.

Took me a while to figure out, hope it helps.

Board footer