You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-10 05:45:44

MattSmith

Just broke my head phone jack need some help [SOLVED]

It's not totally broken as I can push on the head phone jack and hear both channels but with out pushing on it I can only hear one channel. It's not the head phones, and it's not anything to do with Arch. I just tripped over the cord and now I am left with only Right channel audio. So i'm asking do you guys know any nifty fixes for this? Failing that do you know any sound cards that will fit in the expansion slot of my Lenovo y510 (lappy)... I'm pretty sure it's a standard PCI expansion slot (new sounds card would be preferred if possible cuz I have some nice audiophile headphones)? Failing all else, anything that I can do to get two channels back without taping the headphones in while Im listening.

Thanks for your ideas ahead of time!

Last edited by MattSmith (2009-10-11 07:20:22)

A thing of beauty is a joy forever

-John Keats

#2 2009-10-10 08:42:20

MattSmith

Re: Just broke my head phone jack need some help [SOLVED]

bump

-John Keats

#3 2009-10-10 08:56:29

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Don't bump. It's rude.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2009-10-10 09:15:01

theos-workshop

hi ,i had same problem on my old dell latitude,ez solution.a very cheep set of headfones with mic,from a well known uk supermarket.came with normal 3.5mm jacks plus a usb converter,usb plug on one end and 2x jack sockets on the other,mike &audio.works out the box with arch and windblows,ive seen same thing on flebay.

#5 2009-10-10 10:02:58

fijam
Website

Make sure it's the socket and not the plug. I once tripped over headphones' cable and it got torn somewhere in the plug.

#6 2009-10-10 10:14:26

MattSmith

Sorry about the bump earlier. I have checked on both my audio technica head phones and two cheepy ear buds, and everything is out on the left. however if I pull them out slightly to where sound comes out both my lappy and the head phones I have both channels. I can get both channels back by lightly pushing on the jack if the plug... so I push the plug to the right which gives me both channels, which makes sense since when I tripped it would have pulled them out in the same manner.

-John Keats

#7 2009-10-10 10:30:57

MattSmith

okay so I have narrowed it down to the actual connection between the jack and the board because (this is going to be gruesome) when I jam a tiny screw driver between the laptop case and the jack hole it forces the jack hole forward, and channels can be herd. So I am not a soldering artist nor do I think I can get my lappy case open with out breaking something (I already tried), from here does anyone know of any good external sound cards/ usb to jack converters?

-John Keats

#8 2009-10-10 11:04:38

MattSmith

Well I think this should get the trick done

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6829111004

anyone have any better ideas?

-John Keats

#9 2009-10-10 11:30:41

thisoldman

Your link showed the stereo sound tube.  A glass case looks cool but I'd worry about breaking it, especially when I trip on the cord (I do it too).  Looks like it will block adjacent USB ports, if that makes a difference.

Try this link to a list on the the same source:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi … rder=PRICE.  Sort on price

#10 2009-10-10 13:11:09

MattSmith

I don't think that it's glass. Also It connects with standard mini usb so i can use the heaps of extra cords i have laying around... it'll be like an extension on my head phones with better sound. This product also seams FTW because of this " The Diamond Sound Tube Audio device is Plug and Play for Windows, MAC and Linux Operating systems so there is no worrying about installing any software."

-John Keats

Board footer