You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-07 12:32:58

dninja
Website

how to tell fsck to ignore date check

My laptop isn't retaining the time and date after being powered off so sometimes when I power it on the fsck check spots that the last mount time is in the future and so I end up at the single user maintenance prompt.

Till I get the battery replaced how can I tell fsck to ignore the date being wrong?

#2 2009-10-07 16:44:31

SoleSoul

Re: how to tell fsck to ignore date check

Just to be sure, are you sure it's the battery's fault? I had this behavior without any battery problems because there was a problem with the time in Arch.
Is it not the same as here?
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=80957

#3 2009-10-07 22:26:27

dninja
Website

No I'm not sure and was also talking to a friend about it being a software problem tonight. Either way I don't have time at the moment to do any digging into what is the cause, if it is the fix you suggest in the thread then that will be brilliant, if not then I'd still like an answer to my question so that until I get some breathing space I can just boot my machine then set the date with ntp and just use it.

#4 2009-10-07 22:40:48

Ranguvar

What filesystem are you using?

If ext2/3/4:

tune2fs -i 0

If not, look in the man page for your filesystem's utilities.

#5 2009-10-07 22:53:29

Gen2ly
Website

This is generally a bad idea though.  When I used Gentoo on an old laptop who's regular battery and CMOS was dead some programs would fail to compile if the time was incorrect.  I can't think of any other programs that need a proper date but... their might be.  I think that the best bet would be to set the clock everytime on boot.  my two bit.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#6 2009-10-07 23:20:12

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps, as one post provides, you have hal backgrounded in daemons.

Remove backgrounding and reboot..........

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#7 2009-10-08 00:11:34

Ranguvar

Gen2ly wrote:

This is generally a bad idea though.  When I used Gentoo on an old laptop who's regular battery and CMOS was dead some programs would fail to compile if the time was incorrect.  I can't think of any other programs that need a proper date but... their might be.  I think that the best bet would be to set the clock everytime on boot.  my two bit.

A la openntpd, yes.  However, you'd still need to disable the boot-time fsck, because it happens before you (or NTP) can set the time.

#8 2009-10-08 02:20:59

Gen2ly
Website

Well, I was thinking ala BIOS so that timestamps would be right, but the timestamps may not be a big deal.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#9 2009-10-08 09:31:52

dninja
Website

I'm definitely thinking it is software now as when I ran hwclock it was different to what I'd set the bios to and what the date returned. I've set all the dates to the same now and deleted the file and I'll give it a proper play later.

If that doesn't work then the way I've been working recently is to boot and run ntp straight after I get a dhcp address. The only things I use when I don't have network access is vim and firefox for working on wiki articles so they don't require dates to be set correctly.

#10 2009-10-10 18:28:40

dninja
Website

Turns out it was probably just the hardware clock sync stuff. I set all that and it now seems to be behaving itself. Thanks for the tip.

Board footer