You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-27 14:39:08

Father

Arch Installation - Install alternative kernel

i find it a little annoying being forced to use a kernel provided on the arch install cds... people using older cds may not feel the need to dl the latest version so the available kernels would be out of date..

i would have replaced the kernel /src directory with a newer kernel manually but the arch cd doesnt include links or lynx.. so no net access is available (from what i can see anyway)

it would be handy to include lynx/links and if possible.. add another menu item with `manually dl / compile kernel' so that people can install up to date versions rather than having to install the default kernel and then compile again after the install..

thanks

#2 2005-01-27 17:21:33

killerfish

Re: Arch Installation - Install alternative kernel

I second the motion!  smile

I have to custom compile a kernel in order to get Network and AGP working for my Motherboard.  I've used ABS to create a pacman package.  Net, it would be cool if I could select this package to be the installed kernel on a fresh install...

KF

#3 2005-01-28 06:54:27

Father

fyi, ive added this to the bug tracker

#4 2005-01-28 07:00:29

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

is wget on the install cd?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-01-28 12:49:50

iphitus
Forum Fellow

what'd be really awesome is if the installer came with links and irssi....

does it have vim? if so i'll load up the vim tetris script next time.... big_smile

#6 2005-01-28 16:12:43

sarah31
Website

i don't know of  any distro that allows customization from a cd install. Unless gentoo does. Most that allow you to customize have you install the base packages then reboot  and your new install is booted with the cd's kernel. Then you download, configure, etc your kernel.

While it would be nice for some people to have this feature I would by no means consider it a priority there are other long standing issues with the installer that need to be addressed first (I say this with zero experience with the new iso lack of dsl packages and the ability to back step were huge bug imo and if they have yet to be addressed then I think they are far more important than customizing the install of the kernel.

just imo

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer