You are not logged in.

#1 2003-09-01 02:50:57

dp
Member
From: Zürich, Switzerland
Registered: 2003-05-27
Posts: 3,363
Website

searching for a tool to save *.rm to harddisk ... any idea?

ok, my problem:

general:
----------
i want a RealVideo file (the one you need RealPlayer to open) to save to harddisk, to watch when offline

my detailed problem:
----------------------
i want from this site
http://www.sfdrs.ch/system/frames/highl … /index.php
on the right site the link of RealVideo (that's a weather broadcast for switzerland for the next day) called "Meteo 19:50" with a camera-160 icon downloaded to the harddisk

the problem is: if you click on it, it opens the RealPlayer, but this has no save-option (not to speak of comandline driven controll, you can use from a cron-job), but if you use wget, you get only 158byte :-(

but i want to be able to watch the weather-broadcast at any time in the evening offline --- so the best way i planed is to make a cronjob that downloads this file with wget or some other tool to local

-> do anybody knows a wget option to download the whole file? (i wasn't able to find any in man:-(
)
-> any other tool to save it?

-> any other idea how to get it?


The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Offline

#2 2003-09-01 14:54:48

neri
Forum Fellow
From: Victoria, Canada
Registered: 2003-05-04
Posts: 552

Re: searching for a tool to save *.rm to harddisk ... any idea?

dp wrote:

ok, my problem:

general:
----------
i want a RealVideo file (the one you need RealPlayer to open) to save to harddisk, to watch when offline

general:

Many content provider are not interested in making there content
downloadable, so you are forced to reconnect to their webpage.

in detail:

real-streams (system for quicktime and wmx/asx are similar) usually
link to a textfile, which contains a link to a the actual stream. In many
cases this looks like this:
rtsp://blubblub.bla.foo/go-anywhere/and-so-on/file.rm

This does mean the realplayer is using it's own proprietary protocol - in
other words: they win you loose. But - it is expensive to run a real-server
and realplayers understand http. Some folks have their streams located
on http-servers. Open the file you downloaded whith a text editor and
check it. If it is a http-address feed wget and cross your fingers.

If not, hm. There is a software called streambox. Try to get it. But it's on
Windows  :cry:
On linux you only have a chance by running a packetfilter while watching
in realplayer. This is very complicate I think. Or somone hase a better idea.

good luck
neri

Offline

#3 2003-09-01 16:34:05

dp
Member
From: Zürich, Switzerland
Registered: 2003-05-27
Posts: 3,363
Website

Re: searching for a tool to save *.rm to harddisk ... any idea?

neri wrote:
dp wrote:

ok, my problem:

general:
----------
i want a RealVideo file (the one you need RealPlayer to open) to save to harddisk, to watch when offline

general:

Many content provider are not interested in making there content
downloadable, so you are forced to reconnect to their webpage.

in detail:

real-streams (system for quicktime and wmx/asx are similar) usually
link to a textfile, which contains a link to a the actual stream. In many
cases this looks like this:
rtsp://blubblub.bla.foo/go-anywhere/and-so-on/file.rm

This does mean the realplayer is using it's own proprietary protocol - in
other words: they win you loose. But - it is expensive to run a real-server
and realplayers understand http. Some folks have their streams located
on http-servers. Open the file you downloaded whith a text editor and
check it. If it is a http-address feed wget and cross your fingers.

If not, hm. There is a software called streambox. Try to get it. But it's on
Windows  :cry:
On linux you only have a chance by running a packetfilter while watching
in realplayer. This is very complicate I think. Or somone hase a better idea.

good luck
neri

thanx ... now i know much more about that ... the *.rm the one from the server i wanted is really small and is actually (as you said) a textfile a link with the "rtsp" protocoll, no http :-(

streambox? if it is a windows app, maybe it can run with wine ... but i dont think that a windows app that works over wine will accept being run with cron (or is there a wine option to tell an app to not open any windows but work as if there are windows opened? hmm .... very tricky) it would be much nicer to have an openstreambox ... but there is nothing like this on the internet as i searched (google, freshmeat, sourceforge, freshports)

well, this is a too much complicated problem to be solved for only an idea that i had spontanly --- it would be great, but the thing with this streambox-thing is not really easy ... (no experience with wine, dont use windows --- if anyone can tell me how to configure wine in 10min, i will try, but else ... no; maybe when someone write something for unix-based)

anyway, thanx again for your explaination (but i cant figure out why someone alows you do watch something but not to download --- simmilarity to TV: you can watch, but you can also record)


The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Offline

#4 2003-09-01 16:52:49

red_over_blue
Member
Registered: 2003-07-19
Posts: 152

Re: searching for a tool to save *.rm to harddisk ... any idea?

dp,

Just some more info.  I read your problem and spent a few hours last night trying to get things working.  I figured mplayer might be able to capture and dump the stream.  Although I was able to get mplayer to compile with both realmedia and live.com support (rtsp), mplayer is still unable to open the stream. 

Here is the problem (and reason why) that I was having with mplayer. 

Sorry I couldn't help, but I just wanted to provide this info to save you some time chasing a dead end.


Don't forget to post your PKGBUILD in your thread when you announce a new package in incoming.
see HERE for details

Offline

#5 2003-09-01 17:08:58

dp
Member
From: Zürich, Switzerland
Registered: 2003-05-27
Posts: 3,363
Website

Re: searching for a tool to save *.rm to harddisk ... any idea?

red_over_blue wrote:

dp,

Just some more info.  I read your problem and spent a few hours last night trying to get things working.  I figured mplayer might be able to capture and dump the stream.  Although I was able to get mplayer to compile with both realmedia and live.com support (rtsp), mplayer is still unable to open the stream. 

Here is the problem (and reason why) that I was having with mplayer. 

Sorry I couldn't help, but I just wanted to provide this info to save you some time chasing a dead end.

thanx for the time and your ideas ... maybe mplayer developers will find a way to understand realnetworks own protokoll

the link from your post wrote:

First, RealNetworks servers -
even though they use RTSP to initiate streams - typically stream
RealAudio/RealVideo sessions using their own, proprietary "RDT" protocol,
rather than the open standard RTP protocol.  Second, when streaming
RealAudio or RealVideo, RealNetworks servers often do a cryptographic
'challenge-response' protocol (as part of the RTSP protocol) to ensure that
only 'authorized' clients can receive the stream.

... i see similarities with other companies protecting their products from being compatible :-) ... dont need to mention them here wink


The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Offline

#6 2004-03-21 21:50:07

funkydrummer
Member
From: newcastle, uk
Registered: 2004-03-21
Posts: 2

Re: searching for a tool to save *.rm to harddisk ... any idea?

I have managed this using mplayer like this:
mplayer -prefer-ipv4 -dumpstream rtsp:.....

this dumps the raw output to a file stream.dump, there is also an option for -dumpvideo but I haven't tried this.

I've used it to rip BBC Radio streams but the quality seems poor.

streambox vcr works perfectly under windows as long as you get the cracked version.

johnny

Offline

#7 2004-03-21 22:28:26

dp
Member
From: Zürich, Switzerland
Registered: 2003-05-27
Posts: 3,363
Website

Re: searching for a tool to save *.rm to harddisk ... any idea?

funkydrummer wrote:

I have managed this using mplayer like this:
mplayer -prefer-ipv4 -dumpstream rtsp:.....

this dumps the raw output to a file stream.dump, there is also an option for -dumpvideo but I haven't tried this.

i'll try this one when i find some time, thanx

funkydrummer wrote:

I've used it to rip BBC Radio streams but the quality seems poor.

streambox vcr works perfectly under windows as long as you get the cracked version.

johnny

hmm ... my idea is not to use windows at all wink but thanx anyway


The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Offline

#8 2004-03-22 03:33:53

Xentac
Forum Fellow
From: Victoria, BC
Registered: 2003-01-17
Posts: 1,797
Website

Re: searching for a tool to save *.rm to harddisk ... any idea?

http://freshmeat.net/projects/realrekord/

What about something like this?

I'm amazed I didn't say anything back when this was originally posted...


I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Offline

#9 2004-03-22 21:46:13

dp
Member
From: Zürich, Switzerland
Registered: 2003-05-27
Posts: 3,363
Website

Re: searching for a tool to save *.rm to harddisk ... any idea?

Xentac wrote:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/realrekord/

What about something like this?

I'm amazed I didn't say anything back when this was originally posted...

sounds interesting ... when i'm back from field studies, i'll check it out


The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Offline

#10 2004-07-09 05:25:57

ruwach
Member
Registered: 2004-06-14
Posts: 143

Re: searching for a tool to save *.rm to harddisk ... any idea?

if you just want to capture the audio, try to use the program Audacity and set the input to phone-out. i tried this with a RTSP stream and it worked fairly well. Not the best quality audio, but then it wasn't streamed in the best audio either.

good luck

i have used realrekord on another OS ( debian ) and it worked ok, but don't know how to do it here in arch. i dig audacity anyway - records to wav, then i can encode to mp3 or ogg.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB