You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-11 10:59:34

SternGerlachExperiment

Strange behavior with keyboard and mouse [SOLVED]

My keyboard and mouse have begun to act quite oddly in KDE 4.3. After login everything works as expected, but often, after a little while of use, a strange kind of behavior kicks in. Some of the symptoms include:

1) in Firefox clicking a link or the home button opens up a new browser window in that destination instead of taking the old window there (for example, if I'm at archlinux.org, and I click Home, the old window stays at archlinux.org and my home page is opened in a new window)

2) Caps Lock behavior is reversed and pressing shift does nothing

3) Scroll wheel of the mouse takes me forward or backward instead of up and down the page

I bought a new keyboard and I'm still getting used to it, and I get a LOT of typos so it could be that I accidentally press some keys that activate KDE accessibility or something. Then again, when these problems begin, I see no notification of any accessibility mode, and I've looked through the KDE accessibility settings and everything should be fine. No gestures or sticky keys is activated.

Also, I have an additional problem:

At least in Firefox, often (not always) when I start typing, the first characters are printed on the screen realtime, but then there's a lag of several seconds (I can type, but it takes time for the characters to appear on the screen). For example I open up "Google and type "stern gerlach experiment" the "stern" appears normally, then I keep typing "gerlach" but nothing happens until I get to "experiment" when suddenly the whole word "gerlach" appears at once. I keep typing "experiment" and it appears normally.

This is really disturbing because I do a lot of searching.

Oh and all the packages are upgraded to the latest ones.

Last edited by SternGerlachExperiment (2009-10-12 20:51:14)

#2 2009-10-11 16:19:27

MadTux

Re: Strange behavior with keyboard and mouse [SOLVED]

Are you using xorg.conf file? Sounds as if xorg is configured for different hardware. Another thing could be xorg hotplugging (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … leshooting), which seems sometimes to cause some problems.

#3 2009-10-11 18:38:08

SternGerlachExperiment

Interestingly enough, before I read your answer I rebooted my PC. After reboot my keyboard layout had switched from my normal setting to us layout, and I hadn't touched any files. Removing all input device related from xorg.conf and modifying Xorg hotplugging got rid of at least that problem.

I'll have to see if has any effect on my original problem.

Thanks for your answer!

Last edited by SternGerlachExperiment (2009-10-13 00:00:57)

#4 2009-10-13 00:00:47

SternGerlachExperiment

Solved.

The problem was that  the system though shift was pressed. I had assigned a command to the combination Ctrl + Shift + Down, and after pressing those keys system behaved as the Shift key would have been pressed continuously.

Pressing left and right Shift together remedied the problem.

If there is no command assigned to Ctrl + Shift + Down, then no problems occur if Ctrl + Shift + Down is pressed.

Why would pressing Ctrl + Shift + Down lock the Shift key?

Board footer