You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-04 08:54:37

Lonsas

Orinoco USB problems

I have an old laptop with the weird EVO LAN W200 wireless card. Previously I've used the orinoco_usb driver and it has worked. But now, with an update to kernel 2.6.30 it  doesn't work anymore. The source simply can't compile. Last kernel it worked on is 2.6.27 I think.

[alexander@alai usb]$ make
make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.30-ARCH M=/home/alexander/temp/usb KERNELRELEASE=2.6.30-ARCH modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.30-ARCH'
  CC [M]  /home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.o
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c: In function '__orinoco_ev_txexc':
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:616: error: 'ARPHRD_ETHER' undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:616: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:616: error: for each function it appears in.)
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c: In function 'orinoco_send_wevents':
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:1077: error: 'ARPHRD_ETHER' undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c: In function '__orinoco_program_rids':
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:1778: error: 'ARPHRD_IEEE80211' undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:1783: error: 'ARPHRD_ETHER' undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c: In function 'orinoco_ioctl_getwap':
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:2678: error: 'ARPHRD_ETHER' undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c: In function 'orinoco_translate_scan':
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:3973: error: 'ARPHRD_ETHER' undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:3975: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type
include/net/iw_handler.h:517: note: expected 'struct iw_request_info *' but argument is of type 'char *'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:3975: warning: passing argument 3 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type
include/net/iw_handler.h:517: note: expected 'char *' but argument is of type 'struct iw_event *'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:3975: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' makes pointer from integer without a cast
include/net/iw_handler.h:517: note: expected 'struct iw_event *' but argument is of type 'unsigned int'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:3975: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_event'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:3985: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type
include/net/iw_handler.h:542: note: expected 'struct iw_request_info *' but argument is of type 'char *'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:3985: warning: passing argument 3 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type
include/net/iw_handler.h:542: note: expected 'char *' but argument is of type 'struct iw_event *'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:3985: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type
include/net/iw_handler.h:542: note: expected 'struct iw_event *' but argument is of type 'u8 *'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:3985: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_point'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:3995: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type
include/net/iw_handler.h:517: note: expected 'struct iw_request_info *' but argument is of type 'char *'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:3995: warning: passing argument 3 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type
include/net/iw_handler.h:517: note: expected 'char *' but argument is of type 'struct iw_event *'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:3995: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' makes pointer from integer without a cast
include/net/iw_handler.h:517: note: expected 'struct iw_event *' but argument is of type 'unsigned int'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:3995: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_event'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:4005: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:4005: warning: passing argument 3 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:4005: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' makes pointer from integer without a cast
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:4005: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_event'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:4019: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:4019: warning: passing argument 3 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:4019: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' makes pointer from integer without a cast
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:4019: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_event'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:4028: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type
include/net/iw_handler.h:542: note: expected 'struct iw_request_info *' but argument is of type 'char *'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:4028: warning: passing argument 3 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type
include/net/iw_handler.h:542: note: expected 'char *' but argument is of type 'struct iw_event *'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:4028: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type
include/net/iw_handler.h:542: note: expected 'struct iw_event *' but argument is of type 'u8 *'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:4028: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_point'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:4053: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_value' from incompatible pointer type
include/net/iw_handler.h:569: note: expected 'struct iw_request_info *' but argument is of type 'char *'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:4053: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_value' from incompatible pointer type
include/net/iw_handler.h:569: note: expected 'char *' but argument is of type 'struct iw_event *'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:4053: warning: passing argument 5 of 'iwe_stream_add_value' makes pointer from integer without a cast
include/net/iw_handler.h:569: note: expected 'struct iw_event *' but argument is of type 'unsigned int'
/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.c:4053: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_value'
make[2]: *** [/home/alexander/temp/usb/orinoco.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/alexander/temp/usb] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.30-ARCH'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

Do you know any solution to this or do I have to revert back to an older kernel?
And you who may know something about this wireless card... Is it possible to get wpa working with the card somehow?

#2 2009-10-04 09:37:20

thn81

Re: Orinoco USB problems

There is an updated version of this driver on http://repo.or.cz/w/orinoco_usb.git. It supports kernels up to 2.6.30.

#3 2009-10-04 11:12:29

Lonsas

thn81 wrote:

There is an updated version of this driver on http://repo.or.cz/w/orinoco_usb.git. It supports kernels up to 2.6.30.

Thanks alot, btw - how did you find it? (good to know in the future) big_smile

But now there is a new problem:
I get

usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
usb 2-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
orinoco_usb: Unknown symbol __orinoco_ev_rx
orinoco_usb: Unknown symbol __orinoco_ev_info

When trying to load the module and start the device.
I've encoutered this before and it was just a simple mistake, but the problem is that I don't remember what it was anymore...

Plus... what about the wpa support, I never understood if it was fixed or not?

#4 2009-10-04 15:42:53

thn81

how did you find it?

Google.

orinoco_usb: Unknown symbol __orinoco_ev_rx
orinoco_usb: Unknown symbol __orinoco_ev_info

Load the orinoco.ko module first, then orinoco_usb.ko
I don't think it has WPA support because this is listed in the TODO file...

#5 2009-10-04 16:55:24

Lonsas

thn81 wrote:

Load the orinoco.ko module first, then orinoco_usb.ko

No that's not it, and by trying to load orinoco_usb it actually loads orinoco first anyway.

#6 2009-10-04 17:25:29

thn81

Strange. The driver loads ok here (2.6.30-ARCH). But I do not have the hardware to test it, sorry.

#7 2009-10-04 17:40:03

Lonsas

I guess I'm doing something wrong, tested on another computer and got the same error.
I'm new to git but it should fetch the latest right?
The process...
(2.6.30-ARCH)

git clone git://repo.or.cz/orinoco_usb.git
make
sudo make install
modprobe orinoco_usb

The module deps:
kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_usb.ko: kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco/orinoco.ko

Last edited by Lonsas (2009-10-04 17:43:06)

#8 2009-10-04 18:33:01

thn81

I used the following commands:

# git clone git://repo.or.cz/orinoco_usb.git
# cd orinoco_usb/drivers/net/wireless
# make KERNEL_PATH=/usr/src/linux-2.6.30-ARCH
# make install

Last edited by thn81 (2009-10-04 18:33:26)

#9 2009-10-07 16:31:02

Lonsas

This is just weird....
Am I missing some tools/programs maybe? All base-devel packages should be enough, or do you need something more?

#10 2009-10-07 21:01:56

thn81

Just a C compiler and the kernel26 package with matching kernel-headers package. Are there any warning messages during compilation? Or any other messages in dmesg when you insert the module?

#11 2009-10-08 14:17:38

Lonsas

At the end of make install:

/sbin/depmod -ae
WARNING: -e needs -E or -F

When run with -E or -F it expresses the same errors as when trying to modprobe the module.

Last edited by Lonsas (2009-10-08 14:22:13)

#12 2009-10-11 18:00:52

dejavu

get the same error...

btw. do you know this side https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD … CompaqW200?

#13 2009-10-11 20:10:41

Lonsas

dejavu wrote:

get the same error...

btw. do you know this side https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD … CompaqW200?

First time I got it working (under ubuntu) I used the information on that site I think. I actually got the same error that time too, but somehow I managed to get it working. No idea how tough.

It's simply extremly irritating. I have not much use for the computer if I can't get the wireless working and I don't want to spend any money on a wireless card 'cause it isn't worth it to such a mediocre laptop.

Next up to check it is to build it against an older kernel, since I've got it working before. Plus maybe building it against a custom kernel.

#14 2009-10-11 21:58:49

thn81

Just something that came to my mind: Did you remove the orinoco driver modules that come with the stock kernel? They are usually located in "/lib/modules/2.6.30-ARCH/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco". Maybe this driver interferes with the orinoco_usb.ko module.
Just move the directory out of the way, do a "depmod -a" and try loading the driver again.

#15 2009-10-13 15:00:40

Lonsas

thn81 wrote:

Just something that came to my mind: Did you remove the orinoco driver modules that come with the stock kernel? They are usually located in "/lib/modules/2.6.30-ARCH/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco". Maybe this driver interferes with the orinoco_usb.ko module.
Just move the directory out of the way, do a "depmod -a" and try loading the driver again.

You are my god for a moment big_smile
I actually thought the old orinoco.ko was replaced, but it wasn't...

Replaced the old orinoco.ko with the new I got from the install of orinoco_usb and it all works now.

Thank you

//Lonsas

Board footer