You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-08 05:32:54

inerg

Issues with x

Right now as far as I can tell I have the right drivers for my Intel card and I have the resolution set right but when I go to start x it crashes on me forcing me to do a hard reset. To give a basic lowdown on what I can tell you, is that my friend who is works very well within different Linux distros installed drivers and other varying things to get me started due to the fact I was completely lost from not reading the tutorial all the way. After all the drivers and stuff was installed the x worked on a lower resolution but as soon as he tried to go to a higher resolution it crashed. Also once the x crashes you cant go back to the starting terminal screen as I would call it. The graphics card my laptop uses is a Intel 965 and the max resolution is 1280x800 (32 bit on windows). So if you need me to get anything from the install please give me very precise instructions. While I get the basics of dual booting and now how to use pacman I still don't know how to find most of the things you will probably want me to get. Hope I gave you guys all the info you needed to get started and I hope to learn how to use Arch very proficiently in the future (yes I will be doing an install were I get every thing my self). Also I hope I didn't offend any one or sound demanding. Thank you to all that post help.

#2 2009-10-08 06:32:03

chpln

Re: Issues with x

Welcome to the forums.

Please post the content of the files:
1. /var/log/xorg.0.log
(If you are posting from X with low resolution please attempt to reproduce the crash, rebooting as necessary.  Copy the resulting log before attempting to start X again: '$ cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log ~/xorg.log'.  Once done, post the result of '~/xorg.log'.)

2. /etc/X11/xorg.conf (if it exists).

Also, could you elaborate on exactly what happens when X crashes?

#3 2009-10-11 05:26:23

inerg

Ok sorry for taking so long to respond. Basically what happens when x crashes it flashes the screen for a second then just goes to a pure black screen and freezing my laptop to the point of a hard reset. Not knowing how to copy the whole thing from nano I just uploaded it. http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=de76 … 653a3044fd. Also I cant get in at a lower resolution. Yes there was a config file but my friend deleted it and it worked for the first boot now it doesnt.

#4 2009-10-11 09:49:55

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Hi inerg. Arch isn't really suitable for someon else to setup and hand over to you, honestly. You should go scrounge the wiki and see what you get. First thing anyone should read on Arch is http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2009-10-13 16:35:41

inerg

Ok I think what ill do is ill start with a fresh install on a virtual machine then when I get comfortable with the installation ill try actually installing Arch onto my laptop. Thanks for the help and I will probably be back.

Board footer