You are not logged in.

#26 2009-10-11 00:03:29

Vamp898
Website

Re: Condition of Gnome Shell (git) and its issues

I made an PKGBUILD GNOME-Shell which is the offical Release 2.28.0 and not the GIT Version. I think it should work a bit more......... stable^^

#27 2009-10-11 09:01:21

gour

Vamp898 wrote:

I made an PKGBUILD GNOME-Shell which is the offical Release 2.28.0 and not the GIT Version. I think it should work a bit more......... stable^^

Hi!

Here it fails with:

GEN Big-1.0.gir
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/g-ir-scanner", line 38, in <module>
sys.exit(scanner_main(sys.argv))
File "/usr/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/scannermain.py", line 277, in scanner_main
transformer.register_include(include_obj)
File "/usr/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/transformer.py", line 111, in register_include
filename = self._find_include(include)
File "/usr/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/transformer.py", line 129, in _find_include
% (girname, searchdirs))
ValueError: Couldn't find include 'Clutter-1.0.gir' (search path: ['/usr/share/gir-1.0', '/usr/local/share/gir-1.0', '/usr/share/gir-1.0', '/usr/share/gir-1.0', '/usr/share/gir-1.0'])
make[3]: *** [Big-1.0.gir] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-gour/aur-gnome-shell/gnome-shell/src/gnome-shell-2.28.0/src'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-gour/aur-gnome-shell/gnome-shell/src/gnome-shell-2.28.0/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-gour/aur-gnome-shell/gnome-shell/src/gnome-shell-2.28.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
Aborting...
Error: Makepkg was unable to build gnome-shell package.

Any hint?

Sincerely,
Gour

#28 2009-10-11 09:09:08

flamelab

You should build:

gobject-introspection --> gir-repository --> clutter (with gobject-introspection detection enabled) --> mutter --> gnome-shell

#29 2009-10-11 10:09:45

gour

flamelab wrote:

You should build:

gobject-introspection --> gir-repository --> clutter (with gobject-introspection detection enabled) --> mutter --> gnome-shell

Did as you say, i.e. built all the above pkgs. from source, but get the same error. hmm

Sincerely,
Gour

Edit:I've tried with gir-repository-0.6.5, but still there is no Clutter-1.0.gir and I wonder which package should provide it?

Ahh, now I see that you wrote gobject-introspection detection enabled...and I did just the opposite. sad
Edit 2: Enabling introspection for clutter as well as enabling it for mutter by rm-ing --without-introspection made building of gnome-shell success. smile

Last edited by gour (2009-10-11 12:51:42)

#30 2009-10-11 14:33:39

Mefju

For me compilation of the gnome-shell stack worked flawlessly, except gstreamer10.0-bad issue. I have different problem. All icons from window borders are gone, and I don't know if this is related with mutter or clutter (both are git versions).

#31 2009-10-11 20:41:25

alex_anthony

I'm the maintainer of mutter-git and I thought I was the only one with this issue. I have absolutely no idea what's going on. It changes from commit to commit. Any chance you can try building normal mutter (non-git)?

@flamelab - works well without any hacks. I'm just not sure about the top panel bar, but from a building point of view, its good.

#32 2009-10-11 20:49:52

flamelab

OK, I give up:

makepkg                                            
==> Determining latest git revision...                                                       
  -> Version found: 20091011                                                                 
==> Making package: clutter-git 20091011-1 x86_64 (Sun Oct 11 23:49:10 EEST 2009)            
==> Checking Runtime Dependencies...                                                         
==> Checking Buildtime Dependencies...                                                       
==> Retrieving Sources...                                                                    
==> Extracting Sources...                                                                    
==> Removing existing pkg/ directory...                                                      
==> Entering fakeroot environment...                                                         
==> Starting build()...                                                                      
==> Connecting to the Freedesktop.org GIT server....                                         
You asked me to pull without telling me which branch you                                     
want to merge with, and 'branch.master.merge' in                                             
your configuration file does not tell me either.        Please                               
specify which branch you want to merge on the command line and                               
try again (e.g. 'git pull <repository> <refspec>').                                          
See git-pull(1) for details.

If you often merge with the same branch, you may want to
configure the following variables in your configuration
file:

branch.master.remote = <nickname>
    branch.master.merge = <remote-ref>
    remote.<nickname>.url = <url>
    remote.<nickname>.fetch = <refspec>

See git-config(1) for details.
==> The local files are updated...
==> GIT checkout done.
==> Starting make for: clutter-git
==> Cleaning the previous build directory...
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/flamelab/Projects/clutter-git/src/clutter-build/.git/
warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.

==> Starting configure...
==> Starting build
/home/flamelab/Projects/clutter-git/PKGBUILD: line 52: ./autogen.sh: No such file or directory
/home/flamelab/Projects/clutter-git/PKGBUILD: line 53: ./configure: No such file or directory

What's going on ?

#33 2009-10-12 15:45:19

Mefju

@alex_anthony
You were right. I've rebuilt mutter-git and border icons are back. I suppose that I didn't keep correct build order, but now everything is fine.

Thanks for the tip.

#34 2009-10-12 17:28:05

alex_anthony

@flamelab
try removing the src dir and then adding $_gitname to the end of the git clone line of the PKGBUILD

#35 2009-10-12 21:53:07

Cosmin

can anyone please tell me a good way to get gnome-shell to compile?

#36 2009-10-12 22:02:55

flamelab

Follow the order above, use clutter from extra, instead of clutter-git, change the dependencies accordingly in mutter and gnome-shell (clutter instead of clutter-git), and enable instrospection in it.

#37 2009-10-12 23:03:00

Cosmin

flamelab wrote:

Follow the order above, use clutter from extra, instead of clutter-git, change the dependencies accordingly in mutter and gnome-shell (clutter instead of clutter-git), and enable instrospection in it.

This order:
?

and should i use gnome-shell or gnome-shell-git?

#38 2009-10-12 23:12:07

flamelab

Whichever you want.

Don't forget to build gjs just before gnome-shell.

Last edited by flamelab (2009-10-12 23:13:24)

#39 2009-10-12 23:42:33

flamelab

I updated the PKGBUILD so that it prints the build order before building gnome-shell.

#40 2009-10-13 00:15:27

haTem

flamelab wrote:

You should build:

I'm having trouble building clutter:

$ yaourt -Sb clutter
  [... snip ...]
  CC    cogl-context.o
  LINK  libclutter-cogl-gl.la
  LINK  libclutter-cogl.la
  GEN   Cogl-1.0.gir
/tmp/yaourt-tmp-hatem/abs-clutter/src/clutter-1.0.4/clutter/cogl/cogl-shader.h:110: syntax error, unexpected '*', expecting ')' or ','
/tmp/yaourt-tmp-hatem/abs-clutter/src/clutter-1.0.4/clutter/cogl/cogl-texture.h:61: syntax error, unexpected identifier, expecting ')' or ','
/tmp/yaourt-tmp-hatem/abs-clutter/src/clutter-1.0.4/clutter/cogl/cogl-texture.h:98: syntax error, unexpected identifier
Command '['/tmp/yaourt-tmp-hatem/abs-clutter/src/clutter-1.0.4/clutter/cogl/tmp-introspectZUGu_B/Cogl-1.0', '--introspect-dump=/tmp/yaourt-tmp-hatem/abs-clutter/src/clutter-1.0.4/clutter/cogl/tmp-introspectZUGu_B/types.txt,/tmp/yaourt-tmp-hatem/abs-clutter/src/clutter-1.0.4/clutter/cogl/tmp-introspectZUGu_B/dump.xml']' returned non-zero exit status -11
make[6]: *** [Cogl-1.0.gir] Error 1
make[5]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[4]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
    Aborting...
Error: Makepkg was unable to build clutter package.

Any idea what the problem is? I installed gobject-introspection from the gnome-unstable repo and gir-repository from the aur.

Edit: Do I have to change the clutter PKGBUILD to enable gobject-introspection detection? It wasn't being explicitly disabled, so I assume it is enabled by default if I have the appropriate packages installed.

Last edited by haTem (2009-10-13 00:23:13)

#41 2009-10-13 17:35:22

alex_anthony

The problem with the gobject introspection thing is that which package owns the .gir files depends on the build order.
If I build clutter without gobject-introspection installed, then install it, gobject-introspection owns Cogl.gir.

If I have it installed, build clutter with it disabled then build gir-repository, gir-repository owns it.

If gobject-introspection is installed, build clutter and it owns it.

I'd suggest building clutter with it disabled, then build gobject-introspection and gir-repository. This should sort it out entirely, regardless of what's going on.

#42 2009-10-13 21:08:53

haTem

alex_anthony wrote:

I'd suggest building clutter with it disabled, then build gobject-introspection and gir-repository. This should sort it out entirely, regardless of what's going on.

I built clutter (with --disable-introspection), then built gobject-introspection, then gir-repository. None of the packages ended up producing the clutter .gir files and I get the same error encountered earlier in the thread here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 65#p634165

The solution that worked for that poster was what I originally tried in my previous post... but it didn't work for me since I can't build clutter with introspection enabled...

What is going on? This cyclic dependency thing is really annoying... it should not be this complicated tongue.

Note: These were the non-git packages, which is what I would prefer stability wise. Maybe I should try the *-git packages?

#43 2009-10-14 05:48:49

hecate

forget AUR packages for gnome-shell ..None works fine
build gnome-shell with the jbuild stuff, it's the easiest way

Last edited by hecate (2009-10-14 05:49:29)

#44 2009-10-14 17:48:31

flamelab

hecate wrote:

forget AUR packages for gnome-shell ..None works fine
build gnome-shell with the jbuild stuff, it's the easiest way

It isn't a standard way, and dangerous. We must create archlinux specific packages.

#45 2009-10-14 22:22:20

alex_anthony

jhbuild isn't actually dangerous (it isnt installed system-wide). Doing it like this is more consistent in use and helps figure out what the Arch packages will have to be. But each to his/her own.

It is very annoying with introspection, but once I got it working once, it just worked. Not had a problem since. And its a big thing in the future of gnome.

Anyone else using it? Any idea why the notification area icons are really spread out? I also wish dragging an app icon to random black space opened it in a new desktop too. And the plus button should prelight.

#46 2009-10-20 20:55:50

lumpy211

Well I went with the jhbuild method because everything else I tried with AUR failed. It may not be installed system-wide, but as I'm mainly looking at seeing what all the fuss is about, it doesn't really matter to me.

#47 2009-10-20 21:05:10

flamelab

If you follow the steps on gnome-shell-git PKGBUILD, that are displayed before building, nothing shall fail.

#48 2009-10-21 12:44:26

lumpy211

I've followed different instructions, including those in gnome-shell-git many times, but it still fails. Clutter from extra won't even build via ABS, let alone if I try building with introspection. I can't figure out why, but it's no big deal I suppose. I've tried it out and I'm not too excited about it anyway. It looks like it has a lot of potential, but as it's just a preview release there's not a lot to get excited about yet. I'll just wait until it comes to full maturity. Here's hoping that the Gnome devs don't release a half-baked product like KDE 4.0.

#49 2009-10-21 15:31:30

Zeqadious
Website

PKGBUILDs:
http://zeqadious.homelinux.net/arch-lin … -unstable/

REPOSITORY:
http://zeqadious.homelinux.net/arch-linux/packages/

:::EDIT:::

I had to modify this a tad.  The gnome-shell python script is garbage and gave me tons of headaches.  I went around it by calling mutter natively (which is all gnome-shell script does if you don't use Xephyr).
I kept the original files and simply renamed my working stuff gnome-shell-native.  It works flawless here. GL.

INFORMATION:
You must fix the GNOME session to use gnome-shell; use gconf-editor:
  desktop/gnome/session/required_components
    filemanager nautilus
    panel gnome-shell-native
    windowmanager gnome-shell-native

I believe you need nice up-to-date GEMified GL driver support.  (r500 series) is what i have and works perfect with testing GL/ati/kernel.

Last edited by Zeqadious (2009-10-21 16:36:39)

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day"

#50 2009-10-21 18:50:04

flamelab

lumpy211 wrote:

I've followed different instructions, including those in gnome-shell-git many times, but it still fails. Clutter from extra won't even build via ABS, let alone if I try building with introspection. I can't figure out why, but it's no big deal I suppose. I've tried it out and I'm not too excited about it anyway. It looks like it has a lot of potential, but as it's just a preview release there's not a lot to get excited about yet. I'll just wait until it comes to full maturity. Here's hoping that the Gnome devs don't release a half-baked product like KDE 4.0.

Well, I can build it normally here.

http://gitorious.org/arch-linux-greece/ … c7b4a5dca6

Board footer