You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-15 02:32:58

choogi

Music Manager to Organize Files

One of the features I really liked about iTunes was the "keep my music library organized."  I could download an entire album, drag the contents into iTunes, and it would automatically rename the files based on the ID3 tag, move the files into my music folder, and add the songs to my music library all on one easy step.

Is there a similar lightweight music manager for Linux that has this feature too?  I know Amarok can kind of do this but since switching to Arch, I've ditched KDE for openbox.  I've played around with consonance/pragha, goggles, and quod libet but haven't been able to emulate the functionality I'm looking for.  I've looked into mpd+client but haven't been able to find a client that can do this either.

Can any of you suggest music managers with this functionality?

#2 2009-10-15 02:42:57

SamC
Website

Re: Music Manager to Organize Files

Easytag can do this, as can id3tool. Perhaps not quite drag-and-drop, but a script with id3tool could be made.

#3 2009-10-15 02:52:23

kazuo
Website

I like to use MusicBrainz to organize my music (except classical music, I  organize this manually). You can use the official client picard is available in community repo.

#4 2009-10-15 02:58:18

GogglesGuy
Website

choogi wrote:

One of the features I really liked about iTunes was the "keep my music library organized."  I could download an entire album, drag the contents into iTunes, and it would automatically rename the files based on the ID3 tag, move the files into my music folder, and add the songs to my music library all on one easy step.

Can any of you suggest music managers with this functionality?

Well... GMM can do the things except the one easy step thing. Here are the steps:

1) Drag or Copy files into GMM, or "Import" by selecting the desired directory

2) Assuming the tags were correct and all information was correct go to next step. Otherwise fix tracks first.

3) Select the newly imported tracks and right-click to edit. Make sure to check "Update Filename" and set the desired export template. Since you want to move this your music folder your template should contain a absolute path pointing to that folder. So for example: "/home/user/Music/%P/%A/%N %T"
If you have made any changes to the tracks, make sure to check "Update Tag" so that changes are written back to the tag itself.

4) Click save to finalize and 'move' the files. Before renaming it will show you a confirmation dialog with the new filenames.

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2009-10-15 03:09:23)

Board footer