You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-22 03:49:39

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Board clean up & organizing topics

In <b>Board Discussions</b> forum it has been suggested to get this forum organized to make it easier for users to search for answers to their questions.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=2709

The huge number of posts are making difficulties for both new users finding answers and active members to help. Questions with solution are repeated again and again, posted in wrong forums, long threads with multiple questions, old 0 (zero) replied posts, and so on.

To get organized, the moderators will begin with <b>cleaning up</b> and <b>move post in right places</b>, so don't be surprised if you don't find your topic where it used to be or suddenly "disappeared". Posts what will be removed are those "sorry I posted in a wrong place" and duplicated in another forum. Posts what are considered with no support value, the subject header will be edited with [RMx] to be removed after couple of days.

<b>Note:</b> New posts, if moved or removed, the author of the topic will be informed.

To speed up this work, the active members on this forum can also help by going through their posts and edit the subject header with <b>[FXx]</b> for fixed / resolved), <b>[MVx]</b> for move, <b>[STx]</b> for split or <b>[RMx]</b> for remove. Also edit the content (if necessary) for other users reading the topic. The resolved topics will be used for FAQ.

Read topic:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=15871#15871

Markku

#2 2004-02-22 13:37:00

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Board clean up & organizing topics

Seeing the big number of posts posted in wrong forums, though out of the 160 topics moved from "General Discussion" forum were old when no appropriate forums still existed, it will here be good to write few guidelines / forum etiquette how to post and where.

I have posted document "Forum Etiquette" in Wiki:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Forum%20Etiquette

Markku

#3 2004-03-14 05:44:09

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

I am adding <b></b> in the subject header of topics which has got an Arch Linux Wiki document.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WikiContent

Markku

#4 2004-03-14 17:12:10

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

You know, it might be good to not have a general discussion forum at all, since this tends to attract a lot of stuff that can go elswhere. Maybe it should be divided into "Arch Discussion" which contains posts that are relevant to Arch Linux, but should *not* have any questions posted there, and "Off Topic" which can be a relatively disorganized "anything goes" where people can discuss Saskatchewan, Sarah's laziness' dp's photos, Xentac's butt, etc.

Dusty

#5 2004-03-14 17:38:55

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I agree we somewhere to discuss MrX's butt...I'm sorry to hear that is broken  lol

Mr Green..... :twisted:

Mr Green

#6 2004-03-15 04:16:50

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Dusty wrote:

You know, it might be good to not have a general discussion forum at all, since this tends to attract a lot of stuff that can go elswhere. Maybe it should be divided into "Arch Discussion" which contains posts that are relevant to Arch Linux, but should *not* have any questions posted there, and "Off Topic" which can be a relatively disorganized "anything goes" where people can discuss Saskatchewan, Sarah's laziness' dp's photos, Xentac's butt, etc.

Dusty

Done!

#7 2004-03-15 04:49:59

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Dusty wrote:

"Off Topic" which can be a relatively disorganized "anything goes" where people can discuss Saskatchewan, Sarah's laziness' dp's photos, Xentac's butt, etc.

I will move, whatever is possible of off topics, from Arch Discussion (prev. General) to Off Topic forum..... no splitting when not knowing what subject header to enter..... or do we like to have topics named as "Saskatchewan", "Sarah's laziness", "dp's photos", and "Xentac's butt" wink

Markku

#8 2004-03-15 07:01:12

sarah31
Website

thanks i have been noticing alot of posts not being in the proper place lately. now that the forum is busier it really annoys me.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#9 2004-03-15 07:56:42

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

sarah31 wrote:

i have been noticing alot of posts not being in the proper place lately.

If you find [MVx] added in the subject, the topic will be moved later on. "Newbie Corner" topics I am not moving..... its for the "newbies" wink . Or do we want them to be moved??

As you said, the forum is much busier than before. Its quite though to check all the topics. Often I am only browsing through the subject headers of newly posted topics. If you don't mind (also other active forum users) please send (pm) me topics you consider in wrong place. Or add [MVx] anywhere inside the topic (edit your post). The mods will find them with the search engine. Thanks

Markku

#10 2004-03-16 16:00:57

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

rasat wrote:

If you find [MVx] added in the subject, the topic will be moved later on. "Newbie Corner" topics I am not moving..... its for the "newbies" wink . Or do we want them to be moved??

Is it possible to link to the topics? So you could move it to the appropriate forum, have it posted in the Newbie forum in such a way that the link just goes to the proper place? It would be best if this were done transparently so the newbies don't feel embarrassed that they posted in the wrong place.

Dusty

#11 2004-03-16 16:03:42

sarah31
Website

there are two ways to move a topic....one leaves a link in the old location to the new the other way doesn't.

when i moved topic before i left the link.  after a bit the link can be killed imo.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#12 2004-11-14 10:51:53

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

My thanks to users who have helped cleaning up topics of less value, by adding [RVx] in the subject header. 400 posts are removed. I still recommend we do some more cleanup, especially those "chat" style of topics what are nice when active but in end fills the board with posts no one reads.

Markku

#13 2004-11-20 14:54:00

mxcl
Website

I'm always looking for a "package problems" forum when I have a problem/bug with a recently upgraded package. There isn't really a forum for that and thus I never know where to post. I think it would be useful. I know that I should just report the bugs, but I find the open discussion of a forum is generally more useful.

#14 2004-11-20 18:06:10

cjdj

personally I'm a fan of just having one or two forums "Archlinux" and "Forum problems".   Since I always use the "view posts since last visit" thing anyway, I never take any notice of which forum the actual post was in.

#15 2004-11-20 19:12:37

sarah31
Website

sounds like you came from libranet.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#16 2005-01-29 09:53:03

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

it might be nice for someone requestion a MVx to have a destination is mind as well.
Maybe a [MVx: Workstation] or [MVx: Off-topic]
No ideas what people could do if the length in the topic line is prohibitively short..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#17 2005-01-29 10:44:32

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

cactus wrote:

No ideas what people could do if the length in the topic line is prohibitively short..

They can also post (or edit the content). Its better but not necessary to add in subject header. When searching for "MVx" it checks both header and content.

<b>Note</b>: Tomorrow (Sunday, 30th) there will be a cleanup in all forums in Arch Linux category.

Markku

Board footer