You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-14 23:47:27

Knightlain

Arch linux diagnostic

Hi, I am new to Archlinux, but I have already used Ubuntu and Debian.

I am starting to have problems with my configuration but have some things working correctly, while others dont.

My question is, how I can diagnose Arch Linux?

For example, when I boot Archlinux, there is some message of a loaded module failing. I don't know how to read it since it appears so fast, is not a log where the text that appears where you boot can be written?

My other question is diagnostic about package, I dont know how to diagnose whick packages are complete and which need dependencies.

And for last, I would ask for advice about general diagnosing since it is the way I can learn by myself better.

#2 2009-10-15 02:03:01

gog

Re: Arch linux diagnostic

In a default installation, your diagnostic tools are the numerous logs under /var/log, which you can take a peek with tail, or any other application that handles text streams; cat, vim, etc. Familiarize yourself with dmesg, tail and syslog by looking at their respective man pages.

man dmesg

This would should you the manual page for dmesg.

What you're asking for is non-specific to Arch. There are other, more sophisticated way of looking at logs, but they all depend on what I've pointed out so far. Be it GUI or a syslog-ng replacement, you're looking at the same output.

Other ways of diagnosing your system (specific to modules and devices) is through /proc. lspci and lsdev are some of the tools that facilitate interfacing with /proc.

Last edited by gog (2009-10-15 02:12:24)

#3 2009-10-15 16:32:47

MadTux

With respect to getting information about packages, you may want to look at the Pacman Wiki:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman

#4 2009-10-15 16:40:57

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

1. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dis … t_messages
2. testdb

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2009-10-15 16:42:38)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer