You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-15 20:22:50

q0tsa

[solved] Cannot enter luks-password with usb keyboard

Hi,

My root partition is on lvm over dm-crypt over raid1. This has worked very fine for about a year now. Problem is that I switched from an old PS/2-keyboard to a usb one. First I couldn't use the keyboard in the grub menu. Fixed this by switching to usb legacy mode in the bios. Next problem was that I couldn't enter the luks-password at startup. Fortunately I also have a keyfile on my usb-stick, so this is currently the only possibility for me to boot my PC. I added the usbinput-hook to mkinitcpio.conf and regenerated the image with 'mkinitcpio -g kernel26'. But no success.

mkinitcpio.conf

HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata raid usb usbinput keymap encrypt lvm2 filesystems"

Is there anything wrong in my config?

q0tsa

Last edited by q0tsa (2009-10-16 13:52:12)

#2 2009-10-15 21:22:45

scorpyn

Re: [solved] Cannot enter luks-password with usb keyboard

This is what mine looks like :

HOOKS="base udev autodetect ide scsi sata usb usbinput keymap encrypt filesystems"
I don't use lvm though, so it's not exactly the same.

I can't find anything that wouldn't make yours work, so the problem is probably elsewhere. (Either that or I'm blind, which may or may not be the case here.)

Are you sure you didn't just type it wrong? Connect the keyboard to another computer and make sure that all keys work. Maybe you are using a "strange" character that is in different locations on the different keyboards? Perhaps capslock or shift is broken, or perhaps numlock isn't in the expected mode?

Perhaps you need to add/change something here :

MODULES="jmicron aacraid ahci ata_piix"

To make sure that nothing is wrong with the mkinitcpio command, you can run

pacman -S kernel26

(As long as that is the kernel package you are using, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.)

This is the mkinitcpio command that is used on my system :

==> Building image "default"
==> Running command: /sbin/mkinitcpio -k 2.6.31-ARCH -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/kernel26.img

hmm... ok, this post was probably of no help whatsoever... sad

#3 2009-10-15 22:37:51

jspaces

HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata raid usb usbinput keymap encrypt lvm2 filesystems"

I do not use raid but I do have an encrypted LVM. Except for pata and raid the order is the same as mine.

HOOKS="base udev autodetect scsi sata usb usbinput encrypt lvm2 filesystems"

mkinitcpio -g kernel26

Usually the default initrd should be kernel26.img, unless the grub menu.lst has just the "initrd /kernel26" listed.
So maybe the grub entry is using the original initrd file which does not have the usbinput hook.
If you have a custom (custom can be any name chosen for the suffix) kernel, the mkinitcpio command should be is as follows:

/sbin/mkinitcpio -k 2.6.31-custom -g /boot/kernel26-custom.img

Knowledge is a beam of light in which humans can only see the reflection.

#4 2009-10-16 13:51:58

q0tsa

jspaces, you are right, this was it. I used to generate the image with "mkinitcpio -p kernel26" which works fine. I just didn't read the manual carefully. Sorry.

Board footer