You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-16 20:52:34

BoogieTrain

Broadcom hybrid-wl driver issues

Hello. I don't know a great deal when it comes to linux but ive managed to set up arch with the exception of my wireless card. I am running the latest arch on a Dell mini-9.

I downloaded the 32bit source code from broadcom's site and followed their instructions. untar make clean make. I removed the b43 and ssl drivers and did everything else according to the readme. Now, when I reboot and run ifconfig i get :

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet ...

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

so i run modprobe lib80211. ifconfig returns the same thing

iwconfig returns:

lo no wireless extentions.

eth0: no wireless extentions.

then i ran insmod /urs/src/hybrid_wl/wl.ko (this is where i extracted the tar.gz)

now ifconfig returns

eth0 Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr macaddrhere
       UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 METRIC:1
       etc..........etc..........etc

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet (all other info is the same except HWaddr
       UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
       etc.................etc..........etc

lo (same as before)

iwconfig

finds eth1 IEEE 802.11gb etc

(Actually i was expecting this not to work, thats why i included so much detail, i ran iwlist scan and it found a nearby connection, so far so good)

Now I reboot, login, run iwconfig, i have interfaces: eth0 and lo. iwconfig returns lo and eth0.

How can I get the wireless working at bootup?

I tried various changes in /etc/rc.conf but nothing worked. Perhaps if someone can tell me concisely what i need to do, it will work for me smile

Thanks, sorry if anything is unclear, i could not copy/paste the terminal here.

EDIT: in /lib/modules/2.6.31-ARCH/kernel/drivers/staging i created a folder called hybrid_wl and copied the wl.ko file there.

I then edidted /etc/rc.conf and  added to the MODULE=(lib80211 wl) I finished it off with a depmod -a

Upon reboot, it found the wireless adapter, and i was able to scan and find a nearby connection (not connect to it yet tho). But both interfaces are called eth0. I saw instructions concerning this on the wiki, ill check it out now.

Last edited by BoogieTrain (2009-10-16 21:46:03)

#2 2009-10-16 21:41:09

Bogart

Re: Broadcom hybrid-wl driver issues

There is a package in AUR that will help you better install/update/remove the package than using the instructions from broadcom. You just have to download the tarball, extract it, cd into the directory and type "makepkg" (and then install it -as root- with "pacman -U broadcom-wl...tar.gz")

Then there is a wiki page that explains how to configure it.

I hope that can help you. Otherwise, post back.

Board footer