You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-16 14:14:52

overlord_manny

A question on fbsplash.

Hi folks, I'm posting in the newbie section because I'm new to Arch, but I've been using GNU/Linux for about seven years. I distro hopped a bit. Started with Mandrake (I think version 6), from there went to Suse, Fedora Core, then back to Suse, ran Solaris for a while, played with Ubuntu since Fiesty Fawn but felt I was held back from the system so I went to Slackware. Slackware was great but I wanted a little more ease of use than Slack provided (package management mainly(dep checking)). I also built two LFS systems during my Ubuntu days btw. I have to say that Arch is the distro I've been longing for all of those years. Ease of use with all the control. I'm a tweaker by nature and Arch is a wonderful playground for that.

Ok, sorry for the longwinded introduction. Here's my question.

I installed and configured fbsplash today and all works great for the most part, but for some reason it keeps showing the init messages as it exits before starting gdm, (I'm using gnome.)

Does anyone know of a way to change that behavior. I don't mind a black screen for a second. I just want to totally avoid seeing the text.

I have quiet on the kernel line in /etc/grub/menu.lst but that seems to do nothing in Arch for some reason.

My experience level is still at the lower intermediate range so forgive me.

Last edited by overlord_manny (2009-10-16 14:15:39)

#2 2009-10-16 22:56:46

decaturguy

Re: A question on fbsplash.

Are you using stock kernel? if yes try installing another kernel patched with fbcondecor, its available in AUR its called kernel26-fbcondecor
I have no problem with this setup.

#3 2009-10-16 23:46:38

overlord_manny

Yes running stock, I wasn't going to use fbcondecor so I didn't change kernels. But if it'll fix this issue I'll give it a try. Thanks.

#4 2009-10-17 00:38:50

sHyLoCk

Hi. Why don't you give plymouth a try?

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

Board footer