You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-30 19:17:05

lilsirecho
Veteran

Arch 0.7 install of xorg....corrupted(weird solution)

I have attempted to download xorg at least a dozen times, using archlinux.org/current/os/i686 ftp source.

Each time I receive a corrupted file.

I enter.... pacman-Scc....and clear the cache.

Repeat...pacman -Sy xorg... obtain the same result...corrupted file in archive.

My connection to the internet is adsl and the download proceeds at 88KB/sec.

This performance of arch download system for wombat0.7 suggests that many would-be users will not log-in.  Much ado on the internet news about arch, too.

Whazzup?  What to do to fix?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2005-01-30 20:19:56

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Arch 0.7 install of xorg....corrupted(weird solution)

hmm..
maybe try a different mirror and see if you get the same results.
You can reorder the mirror list in the files in /etc/pacman.d/

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-01-30 20:34:26

lilsirecho
Veteran

Cactus,
Same thing happened on ibiblio....

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2005-01-30 21:22:53

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

:?

Have you tried downloading the package manually, and using
pacman -A pathtofilename.tar.gz

I haven't installed xorg lately, so maybe someone else can comment on whether or not the file is ok. If the above yeilds the same results (ie corrupt file), then it might be that a file in the repo has been corrupted. If so, then it would propagate to the mirrors too...and the first solution I presented would obviously fail...

But, try the above. If the manual download and install works ok, then something else is wrong...

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-01-30 21:46:04

lilsirecho
Veteran

When you say...download the package manually...I think that means..pacman -S xorg.. a manual entry of a download request for xorg...gives corrupted file.... and no dependencies accompany the file for xorg.

With the command...pacman -Sy xorg....all dependencies are listed along with xorg and xorg is declared corrupted.  No files are installed.

I assume from the above attempts that xorg is corrupted in the system.

I haven't had enough experience with corrupted downloads to tell what is going wrong.

#6 2005-01-30 22:26:28

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

i mean.
wget ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/current/os/i686 … pkg.tar.gz
pacman -A xorg-11R6.8.1-1.pkg.tar.gz

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#7 2005-01-30 22:30:26

lilsirecho
Veteran

Thanks for the amplification...

#8 2005-01-30 22:48:20

lilsirecho
Veteran

I attempted the following;

.....wget ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/current/os/i686 … pkg.tar.gz....

I received the error message:....no such file...xorg-X11R6.8.1-1.pkg.tar.gz....

Perhaps the request format is in error such as a space at xorg?

#9 2005-01-31 00:16:06

lilsirecho
Veteran

I will attempt again using ...xorg-11R6.8.1-1.pkg.tar.gz.

When installed the ID is /etc/X11R6.8.1-1, dunno the reason....

#10 2005-01-31 00:23:00

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

yeah..dunno how that X slipped in there. Sorry about that.
:oops:

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#11 2005-01-31 03:16:20

lilsirecho
Veteran

Cactus;

I think the X was my error due to using it so many times in past entries in XFree86.

I was able to enter the xorg by direct means but only after install of the associated files : freetype, fontconfig and libpng.

The result of all this might have a clue to the real problem in the install of xorg with the command ....pacman -Sy xorg.

The files associated with this command are four in number plus the xorg file, two of them are freetype files...this is the probable error in the download causing the corrupted file result.

To whom should this problem be directed, if it is indeed the cause of the download difficulty?

Thanks for the aid and comfort!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asking may get you knowwhere.

#12 2005-01-31 04:05:41

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Posting here was likely a good first route.
posting a bug to the bugtracker would likely be a logical second step.

http://bugs.archlinux.org/

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#13 2005-01-31 04:11:46

lilsirecho
Veteran

Bug #2110.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: When is a zero always equal to a one?

Second question:  How many entries of cramfs can be made in the kernel,  by any means, preferably by design?

#14 2005-02-01 20:23:28

lilsirecho
Veteran

Solved the problem with the  download producing corrupted files.

In my advanced years, I tend to forget easily.  I had solved the difficulty before.

I have 3GB of RAM installed and this prevents uncorrupted downloads of larger files...why I don't have a clue.

The solution I used was to reduce the RAM to 512mb and the downloads performed correctly.

I regret having entered a bug report.

I find after all the difficulty with the arch 0.7 wombat CD install (to avoid the 0.6 install problems) that I cannot use the xorg or XFree86 downloads.  I have an ATI display pci card and it isn't recognized(as are many other users ATI cards!)

However, it was recognized before arch0.7 install and it seems that "upgrade" means you lose...shades of windows!!

Does this classify as a bug?  Not detected in hardware detect can't be a bug!  Blame it on ATI and join the group blasting them!

I am not "chasing" the ATI install problem.  I await improved arch handling of the ATI display driver problem in arch install CD. 

I feel sorry for a noobie trying arch0.7 CD with an ATI card in his computer.  Not a smooth install to desktop!!! In fact, there should be a WARNING in multiple languages.

But arch isn't for the new, new, noobie it is said again and again.

So, like the hokey-pokey...maybe it really is what its all about!

Please excuse this old man for spouting, and be aware that RAM can cause problems " under the hood" even though it is said "linux likes RAM"...(except when it doesn't).

There is a problem for every exception..........and an exception for every problem..so..What's the problem?????

#15 2005-02-01 20:41:13

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

8)
Glad you figured it out.
As for ram problems, indeed, bad ram can produce very odd results. There are a few floppy disk memory tester programs out there. You should give one a try. It might be able to narrow down which stick of memory has the errors in it.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#16 2005-02-01 21:45:33

lilsirecho
Veteran

Cactus,

Happy to hear from you again.

I have run memtest 86 on all ram, replaced the 512RAM chip under lifetime warranty and have passed all tests on the 1GB memory chips.

If I used another test program, like a second opinion in medicine, which should I believe?

The only solution I see is to use only 2.5GB using the 512GB ram chip as #1.

I haven't looked that problem solver in the eye yet.  Easy to try though.

I have had the 3GB memory in for many months and had one problem until arch 0.7CD install.  It could be the bad apple but no way to know unless I redownload and burn a new CD while using only 512MB RAM.

You must realize I spent many hours chasing xorg and when I finally got it installed, it hasn't got a driver for my display card.  That is a vdt to play on a noobie....a noobie is an expert trying a new installCD for the first time!  Same treatment with XFree86..no ATI driver.  I'm dead and it was an "upgrade".  Had display for many
, many months but nevermore!

I will not chase it!!!!

The "WOMBAT" has sharp teeth and bites first and answers questions later.  I think its poisonous to computers!

A WARNING in many languages is needed for new installs via arch0.7 to those with ATI display pci cards.

Wonder of wonders...Knoppix detects the ATI card without xorg and XFree86 and their config conundrums.  Many Live CD installs are the same result:detected..  I have tried a half dozen or so.

I have questions outstanding on forums in arch that have no replies and they should start some dialog...none.

I have had a question in many forums...never answered... only one person in my experience has answered it...appears below..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When is a zero always equal to a one?

Board footer