You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-03 04:51:33

iceycooler9

Need help with network and other startup help

Hey ppl, i am a newb to this distro, i  just installed it for the first time a couple of minutes ago. So my arch linux experience is Zero. As far as linux goes i have used Mandriva for a little longer then a year, which i loved to death, but i want to learn more about linux and go to something a little more advanced.

so anyways, i reboot after install, everything loads, then when logging in i was trying to figure out "user name?"" "what user..name... t hen i thought of "oh its root" then i typed root and my password and it went through, cool.

But scrolling through my iphone looking to setup my network with the wiki guide  ( i thought i setup during the install but i probable made a mistake by accident, but i was doing netinstall and it was downloading files from a mirror)  because the ping google thing gave unknown  host, i typed etc/rc.conf and then what i got was permission denied!!!! Wtf?? I am logged in as root, isn't root the highest permission level? su or sudo don't work (and i know i didn't install them but there has to be some fricken way to get access, right?)

i am on a wired connection btw, i did ifconfig -a and the one i need to connect with is eth1

can someone please help with why i cant use /etc/rc.conf?

And on the side note, during the install grub listed windows on the little config thing, but on the grub after reboot its not on the list, just archlinux.

any help would be appreciated, typing this on fedora 11 live cd

#2 2009-10-03 04:55:43

guzz46

Re: Need help with network and other startup help

did you type nano /etc/rc.conf or just /etc/rc.conf

#3 2009-10-03 05:26:07

MadTux

So you did ifconfig -a. What did the command show? What is your intended network configuration (static or dynamic ip)?

If you intend to use dhcp, these settings should be in your /etc/rc.conf:
eth1="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth1)
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

For gateway you should add the IP address of your gateway/router.

Your daemons list should look something like this:
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond)

#4 2009-10-03 05:51:16

iceycooler9

guzz46 wrote:

did you type nano /etc/rc.conf or just /etc/rc.conf

oh woops, forgot about that, works now

to be honest, i tried for at least 2 hours on this, i don't get it at all, and i dont plan on spending all night and tomorrow still at the first stage on a console screen, i have a really hard time getting this to make sense, i guess im just an idiot, but i can't run this distro, sorry. Installing mandriva again, im too used to having everything done for me.

no offence probable a really great distro, just its probable for just advanced users

#5 2009-10-03 05:58:40

MadTux

You are right, Archlinux is for advanced users (no offence against you). I would suggest you spend some time with other distros and Mandriva might be a good starting point and don't hesitate to try some others after that. Once you are more familiar with Linux in general, you can always come back to Arch and try again.

#6 2009-10-03 06:45:04

tomk
Forum Fellow

We have a beginner's guide in the wiki - you should use that.

#7 2009-10-03 07:01:11

iceycooler9

thats what i have used, still to dumb for it though smile

i probable will come back to arch, but atm mandriva "just works" approach is working best for me.

#8 2009-10-03 15:44:39

m_ad

Understandable. I spent 2-3 years with one of those "it just works" distros before coming to Arch. Once you feel you're ready for Arch, believe me, once it's installed you'll feel you accomplished something.

I still consider myself a newb to Linux, but like some of the other said, if you read the beginners guide wiki a few times and understand it, you'll be able to install it no matter what level you're at.

Good luck.

#9 2009-10-03 16:24:15

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

iceycooler9 wrote:

thats what i have used, still to dumb for it though smile

i probable will come back to arch, but atm mandriva "just works" approach is working best for me.

Don't give up on Arch just yet.  The wiki is great as are these forums.  Once you understand it, Arch is killer distro to run.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#10 2009-10-20 03:27:50

niblet

As a complete beginner to Linux myself, I actually think Arch is an excellent distribution for beginners...as long as you have another computer you can be productive on while you're figuring it out.  There's no better way to learn something than just having to do it.

Board footer