You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-20 01:37:39

tuddy

A recommendation for "software kits"

Hi Everyone,

I'm loving Arch more and more everyday, I love how you basically install "Linux with a great package manager" and learn about the configuration of the system is done and about scripting. Hell, I've always struggled with programming but you know what? I successfully wrote a script that looks for flac files at a specific level i.e., /home/$USER/music/"Artist"/"Album"/"*.flac" and converts the flac to whatever compressed format I wish like mp3 or aac. I was so tickled by this that I told everyone I know about it. I'm 33 and work as an engineer but felt like a little kid when I actually saw the darned thing work. Anyway, I'm happy to have stumbled along and found Arch and love what it is and does. My reason for this post is this, however. I find that once you get the base system installed with the video and sound, network, etc, that you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get a GUI and set up printers. What does everyone think about the idea of creating a series of prepackaged scripts that would be labeled like "science user", "server admin", "gamer", "office worker"(this is what I really would like( and tailor each script to create an environment that is pretty much ready to go once it installs? I find all the default gnome themes to "hog" physical space, I mean hell, I have a 1440x900 display and Firefox feels like it's totally congested. One thing I like about Windows XP and Mac OSX is that the app windows don't hog space and with gnome and KDE I feel like the app windows/borders are wasting precious space. Anyway, sorry for the long spiel, I just wanted to stop in and say I'm happy to see how Arch works and the great work the community has done to put together a fast DIY Linux with great work instructions.

P.S. I ordered the Arch Linux book from Amazon and reviewed Arch there. It's under Panagiotis, the Greek name for Pete which is my real name but I go by the nickname of tuddy here and most of real life wink

http://www.amazon.com/Arch-Linux-Handbo … 427&sr=8-1

#2 2009-10-20 03:29:08

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: A recommendation for "software kits"

Hi tuddy, have you tried using a different window manager? A minimalist one, such as dwm or openbox might suit your purpose. They can work quite well with GNOME, KDE or standalone however you prefer. There are also themes which give GNOME a minimalist flavor. I apologize for not linking to them as having not used them since a long time the names escape me.

Your idea for prepackage scripts is intriguing. Another idea might be to write a set of install guides directing a user to creating a system environment matched to a profile (as you you listed: "science user", "server admin", "gamer", "office worker", etc.).

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2009-10-20 04:12:13

gog

The problem with role based scripts/meta packages is that even if split into every conceivable role, they'd still be making assumptions.

#4 2009-10-20 06:12:10

tomk
Forum Fellow

tuddy wrote:

What does everyone think about the idea of creating a series of prepackaged scripts that would be labeled like "science user", "server admin", "gamer", "office worker"(this is what I really would like( and tailor each script to create an environment that is pretty much ready to go once it installs?

What matters here is not what everyone else thinks, but what you think - and particularly what you do. In the world of Arch, someone who says "I made this - what do you think?" will get more traction than someone who just wants to talk about stuff. So throw together a first draft, and then look for input.

tuddy wrote:

I find all the default gnome themes to "hog" physical space, I mean hell, I have a 1440x900 display and Firefox feels like it's totally congested. One thing I like about Windows XP and Mac OSX is that the app windows don't hog space and with gnome and KDE I feel like the app windows/borders are wasting precious space.

I don't use either gnome or kde, but afaik there are numerous themes available for both, to suit all tastes. Where have you been looking? gnome-look.org and kde-look.org would be a good start.

Board footer