You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-02 13:44:47

Stalafin

[SOLVED] Mutt - sidebar stuff not working

So I compiled mutt-sidebar from AUR and configured it according to the sample file at http://lunar-linux.org/index.php?page=mutt-sidebar (and also checking brisbin's config at http://pbrisbin.com:8080/dots.html), and I am getting errors when trying to start mutt.

Here is the error:

Error in /home/$USER/.mutt/muttrc, line 9: certificate_file: unknown variable
Error in /home/$USER/.mutt/muttrc, line 89: /home/janis/.mutt/alias: No such file or directory
Error in /home/$USER/.mutt/sidebar.muttrc, line 2: xterm_set_titles: unknown variable
Error in /home/$USER/.mutt/sidebar.muttrc, line 3: sidebar_width: unknown variable
Error in /home/$USER/.mutt/sidebar.muttrc, line 4: sidebar_visible: unknown variable
Error in /home/$USER/.mutt/sidebar.muttrc, line 5: sidebar_delim: unknown variable
Error in /home/$USER/.mutt/sidebar.muttrc, line 12: sidebar: no such object
Error in /home/$USER/.mutt/sidebar.muttrc, line 13: sidebar_new: no such object
Error in /home/$USER/.mutt/sidebar.muttrc, line 17: sidebar-prev: no such function in map
Error in /home/$USER/.mutt/sidebar.muttrc, line 18: sidebar-next: no such function in map
Error in /home/$USER/.mutt/sidebar.muttrc, line 19: sidebar-open: no such function in map
Error in /home/$USER/.mutt/sidebar.muttrc, line 20: sidebar-prev: no such function in map
Error in /home/$USER/.mutt/sidebar.muttrc, line 21: sidebar-next: no such function in map
Error in /home/$USER/.mutt/sidebar.muttrc, line 22: sidebar-open: no such function in map
Error in /home/$USER/.mutt/sidebar.muttrc, line 29: index: unknown command
Error in /home/$USER/.mutt/muttrc, line 91: source: errors in /home/$USER/.mutt/sidebar.muttrc
source: errors in /home/$USER/.mutt/muttrc

I have no clue to why that would be. I will not post the file as it is a direct copy of http://lunar-linux.org/index.php?page=mutt-sidebar

Last edited by Stalafin (2009-09-02 18:04:07)

#2 2009-09-02 13:54:51

brisbin33
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Mutt - sidebar stuff not working

if you notice (at least i did), the site containing the mutt-ng patchset in the PKGBUILD must be no good and the download of the patches times out during the build.  therefore, no patches are applied, and you're basically just running vanilla mutt (as if built via ABS).  hence the config errors.  luckily i installed this on my desktop back when it was working and only found all this out when trying to put mutt-ng on my eee pc last week.  you should comment on the AUR about this (i keep forgetting to...).

thanks for checkin out my configs though!

/edit: hrm, didnt see you said mutt-sidebar and not muttng.  perhaps they use the same site for the patchset though?

/edit2: well, you can just ignore me; the issue i described is only with muttng. mutt-sidebar (though out out of date) uses its own patch (as mentioned in the OP *facepalm*) so this is not the issue... carry on.

/final edit: ok i just installed using the updated PKGBUILD on the comments of the AUR package.  works great! had to remove xterm_set_titles, certificates_file, and color sidebar from my configs, i think they're just deprecated options.  maybe you could try that?

Last edited by brisbin33 (2009-09-02 14:24:26)

#3 2009-09-02 17:29:14

Stalafin

Wow, thanks brisbin for you quick answer.

I removed those options you have mentioned, yet I still get the errors as above (sans the now commented options of course). I have rerun makepkg and lo! - I saw that the option 'patch' was not recognized. Looks like I did not install patch... Could have come up with that myself after I saw yesterday that even make was not on my system...

Regarding the color_sidebar: That one you have to rename into color sidebar_new, then it should work.

xterm_set_titles and certificates_file - what are those? And the latter sounds rather important...

#4 2009-09-02 17:44:32

brisbin33
Website

Stalafin wrote:

Regarding the color_sidebar: That one you have to rename into color sidebar_new, then it should work.

i originally had 'color sidebar whatever whatever' which set the color of a no-new-messages sidebar folder, seems that is now deprecated (i'm guessing it just takes the 'color normal whatever whatever' option and applies that).

Stalafin wrote:

xterm_set_titles and certificates_file - what are those? And the latter sounds rather important...

xterm_set_titles was used in muttng to set the titlebar b/c i guess mutt 1.5.17 didnt do that, now that this patch is applied to 1.5.20 this is automatic.

certificate_file (no s) seems to work for me now (dunno what happened there...), but if an option like that is unset mutt will usually just use some default in /var/lib/mutt or /usr/share/mutt or something, i dunno.  i wouldn't be too worried.

glad it's working now, and thank you for the post, i like mutt-sidebar _much_ better than muttng, it colors things appropriately, isn't as buggy, and i get to use 1.5.20!

also, don't forget to add [SOLVED] smile.

#5 2009-09-02 18:05:21

Stalafin

I am always somewhat scared of changing PKGBUILDs - did you simply change the pkg verstion to 'pkgver=1.5.20'?

#6 2009-09-02 18:08:00

brisbin33
Website

Nope, the most recent comment on the AUR page was the PKGBUILD i used.

#7 2009-10-20 13:35:14

akuschki

Nope, the most recent comment on the AUR page was the PKGBUILD i used.

not sure where to find this comment, I can't seem to find anything relevant here: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=10892
Wounld you mind posting the solution?

Cheers

#8 2009-10-20 13:45:09

brisbin33
Website

mutt-sidebar, not muttng

Comment by: jspicoli on Mon, 06 Jul 2009 12:16:16 +0000 at http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=7168

#9 2009-10-20 14:09:16

akuschki

Hi Brisbin, thanks for the quick reply. I have patched and compiled mutt with the sidebar patch manually in the meantime. Apparantly I used the same patch that is used for the Arch package, so considering the low frequency of mutt updates, there is not much benefit in using the the AUR I guess. Or are there other benefits I am not aware of of using Arch's build system. (sorry if that is a stupid question, I am a new user)

Cheers
Arian

#10 2009-10-20 14:37:54

brisbin33
Website

AUR and ABS are very different and offer /tons/ of benefit, each in their own ways.  i suggest you read the relevant WIKI entries for each.

welcome to arch.

Board footer