You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-20 18:54:00

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

installation of Arch from Ubuntu Live CD [SOLVED]

Crazy question I know, but is it possible to run the Arch installer and actually install Arch from the Ubuntu Live CD (Gnome session)?  I would attempt to mount the Arch-2009.8 iso as a loop device to say /archcd - from there, I'm not sure what to do (run /archcd/arch/setup I think).  Would this work?  Would I need to chroot /archcd / for this to work?

Why would I want to do this you ask?  Trying to remotely install Arch on a machine smile  The target machine is booted into the Ubuntu Live CD and I can hit it via VNC.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by graysky (2009-10-20 20:36:54)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#2 2009-10-20 19:01:07

lucke

Re: installation of Arch from Ubuntu Live CD [SOLVED]

There used to be a script called archbootstrap simplifying remote installs - I don't know if it's still a viable option.

Last edited by lucke (2009-10-20 19:01:22)

#3 2009-10-20 19:18:05

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

I'm actually more interested in doing it from the Live environment since I have vnc abilities.

#4 2009-10-20 19:24:49

Gen2ly
Website

Get the aif package, extract it:

tar xvf aif-* -C /
aif -p interactive

I'm guessing the LiveCD has ncurses installed which is the big dep.  Oop, you'll need a few more:

pactree aif                                                                     
|--aif                                                                          
   |--bash                                                                      
      |--readline                                                               
         |--glibc                                                               
            |--kernel-headers                                                   
            |--tzdata                                                           
         |--ncurses                                                             
            |--glibc                                                            
      |--glibc                                                                  
   |--pacman                                                                    
      |--bash                                                                   
      |--libarchive                                                             
         |--zlib                                                                
            |--glibc                                                            
         |--bzip2                                                               
            |--glibc                                                            
         |--xz-utils                                                            
            |--bash                                                             
         |--acl                                                                 
            |--attr                                                             
               |--glibc                                                         
         |--openssl                                                             
            |--zlib                                                             
            |--perl                                                             
               |--gdbm                                                          
                  |--glibc                                                      
               |--db
                  |--gcc-libs
                     |--glibc
                  +--bash provides sh
               |--coreutils
                  |--glibc
                  |--shadow
                     |--pam
                        |--glibc
                        |--db
                        |--cracklib
                           |--glibc
                           |--zlib
                  |--pam
                  |--acl
                  |--gmp
                     |--gcc-libs
                  |--libcap
                     |--glibc
                     |--attr
               |--glibc
               +--bash provides sh
      |--libfetch
         |--openssl
      |--pacman-mirrorlist

Probably work.  Not sure.

Last edited by Gen2ly (2009-10-20 19:25:14)

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#5 2009-10-20 19:27:27

lucke

Yeah, generally it was just about that - you had a running system and installed from within that.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archbootstrap
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rem … ux_Install

Some things have surely changed since it was written.

You can check on your own PC how viable using the install cd is.

#6 2009-10-20 19:41:11

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Gen2ly wrote:

Get the aif package, extract it:

tar xvf aif-* -C /
aif -p interactive

I'm guessing the LiveCD has ncurses installed which is the big dep.  Oop, you'll need a few more:

pactree aif                                                                     
|--aif                                                                          
   |--bash                                                                      
      |--readline                                                               
         |--glibc                                                               
            |--kernel-headers                                                   
            |--tzdata                                                           
         |--ncurses                                                             
            |--glibc                                                            
      |--glibc                                                                  
   |--pacman                                                                    
      |--bash                                                                   
      |--libarchive                                                             
         |--zlib                                                                
            |--glibc                                                            
         |--bzip2                                                               
            |--glibc                                                            
         |--xz-utils                                                            
            |--bash                                                             
         |--acl                                                                 
            |--attr                                                             
               |--glibc                                                         
         |--openssl                                                             
            |--zlib                                                             
            |--perl                                                             
               |--gdbm                                                          
                  |--glibc                                                      
               |--db
                  |--gcc-libs
                     |--glibc
                  +--bash provides sh
               |--coreutils
                  |--glibc
                  |--shadow
                     |--pam
                        |--glibc
                        |--db
                        |--cracklib
                           |--glibc
                           |--zlib
                  |--pam
                  |--acl
                  |--gmp
                     |--gcc-libs
                  |--libcap
                     |--glibc
                     |--attr
               |--glibc
               +--bash provides sh
      |--libfetch
         |--openssl
      |--pacman-mirrorlist

Probably work.  Not sure.

Hmm... When I inspect the 2009.8 CD's root, I see sqfs files, not aif.

# ls -lh
total 346M
dr-xr-xr-x 6 root root 4.0K 2009-08-07 20:01 boot
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 2.0K 2009-08-07 20:12 boot.catalog
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 188M 2009-08-07 20:11 core-pkgs.sqfs
-r--r--r-- 1 root root  454 2009-08-07 20:12 isomounts
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 284K 2009-08-07 20:12 overlay.sqfs
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 158M 2009-08-07 20:12 root-image.sqfs

#7 2009-10-20 20:09:35

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

#8 2009-10-20 20:36:31

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Thanks for the link, Zeist!

#9 2009-10-20 21:29:32

Gen2ly
Website

graysky wrote:

Hmm... When I inspect the 2009.8 CD's root, I see sqfs files, not aif.

aif is the arch installation framework, you can find it in the repositories.  You can install that and it's dependencies as I suggested or just follow the wiki and do it manually.  Since the wiki method has been done before you're probably safer with that but will (more than likely) require more work.

Last edited by Gen2ly (2009-10-20 21:29:58)

#10 2009-10-20 23:43:18

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Best article!  Doing this really makes you appreciate the power and elegance of pacman.

#11 2009-10-21 00:02:06

Gen2ly
Website

lol, that is pretty nice.  Tell us how it goes, be interested to see if it's worth doing sometime.

#12 2009-10-21 00:07:19

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

As far as I know it worked... I have to wait until I can get to the box physically - if I reboot now, the ubuntu cd will stay in the tray.

Board footer