You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-21 16:12:14

Raws

Bugs with KDM & Power off [SOLVED]

Hello everybody

I'm new to arch, and I've been trying to avoid bothering others with my lack of knowledge and sorting out my problems with the wiki and previous posts.

I came from Ubuntu, so I'm used to work with gnome, but I'm trying a switch to KDE. I've used Ubuntu for about an year and, before that, I was infected with all Microsoft systems since DOS up to Vista. So you could classify me as an Experienced Windows user who is EAGER to learn linux.

Nevertheless I have a couple of "bugs", I coudn't solve alone, so I'm posting them to see if anybody can help.

I'm using arch on two systems: an Acer Aspire laptop 5738-6922 (Core 2 Duo, 3GB, Intel GMA 4500MHD) and a custom made desktop (Core 2 Duo E4500, 2GB, Asus P5K SE, GF 8800GT).

First Bug => Since the first install, KDM crashes when you try to log out from a user. I've tried in both machines AND with Kde (extra) AND Kdemod. I've followed the begginers guide to the Letter on both installs. Without sollution, I've ended up installing GDM and Gnome for work and left Kde (extra) on the desktop and KDEmod on the laptop, to choose one of them in the future. It would be nice to leave GDM, specially after the recent update witch messed whith Themming, but, other than that, its just a small nuisance. 

Second Bug => After recent uptades (Kernel and Gnome 2.28) power off dissapeared on both machines. I have to log out from the user and shutdown from the login entrance (GDM).

I've found this old post http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=12912 witch discribes the same simptoms as mine. But since it's four years old, I decided to ask if somebody else have the same problem and witch sollution they found.

I have some other small "glitches" in my systems... But I'm still trying to solve them by myself.
Forgive me for any mispellings... English is not my first Language.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Last edited by Raws (2009-10-21 18:02:55)

#2 2009-10-21 16:14:16

Raws

Re: Bugs with KDM & Power off [SOLVED]

P.S: I'm using Arch 64.

#3 2009-10-21 16:30:48

grey

1st bug could be this one: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=78957. Try adding TerminateServer=true to kdmrc as described.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#4 2009-10-21 17:59:32

Raws

Hey! That actually fixed both problems! Thanks very much Grey|! Dont know how I missed the topic. Changing to Solved.

Board footer