You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-31 01:34:12

shadowhunter

Mounting usb disks...

Hi all,

Does anyone know what must be configured for mounting usb-storage devices?

It is listed in /proc/bus/usb... I can see it with USBview, and it works under Mandrake...
There are no sda sdb... device nodes in /dev
Couldn't find anything usb-related in there... (kernel = 2.6.10 SRC)

Thanks,
Geert.

#2 2005-01-31 02:24:09

z4ziggy
Website

Re: Mounting usb disks...

look in the log (dmesg) for hcd messages, it should tell u there the new dev. also, u might check /proc/partitions, but thats just a wild shot  8)

#3 2005-01-31 04:59:47

dk

Maybe check /etc/fstab and change those usbdevfs to usbfs

#4 2005-01-31 09:02:55

Pajaro

I use submount to mount all my remobable devices.

in the particular case of usb-storage:

- be sure you load the module usb-storage (I let hotplug do it for me) in order to have /dev/sda1 created when you plug the remobable device.

- fstab entry:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/pendrive subfs fs=vfat,rw,sync 0 0

the sync option disables buffering the device so that when it stops flashing everything is written.

The only thing I didn't find after googling for hours is how to stop the usb device before unplugging it. Everybody seems to simply unplug the device when it stops flashing though being still powered.

#5 2005-01-31 11:26:35

Moo-Crumpus

Have a look at the wiki. It is posted there.

Btw, I simply use the hal daemon. Plug usb stick in will create icons on the desktop, klicking the icn will open the drive. Everything is fine.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#6 2005-01-31 11:29:38

shadowhunter

After some googling I got it fixed...

It seems that you need to enable the disk option in the scsi section of the kernel if you want a disk to work. Cd-rom section => usb-writer will work.
I just left it out of compilation...

recompiled as modules, everything works fine.

The only thing I didn't find after googling for hours is how to stop the usb device before unplugging it. Everybody seems to simply unplug the device when it stops flashing though being still powered.

I simply unmount it... and remove it from the hub.

thanks for the replies.

Geert.

#7 2005-01-31 12:40:40

scarecrow

With the 2.6.10 Arch kernel you can mount your CD/DVD and pen drives under /media (create the directory manually).
pacman -Sy dbus hal
Put dbus and hal as daemons in /etc/rc.conf (dbus must be listed BEFORE hal).
Remove all your references of USB and CD-ROM devices from /etc/fstab, and reboot. Now everytime you insert a medium all you have to do is using something like kuikdisk to mount it to /media/XXX. In my system the subfolders /cdrwiter , /dvdwriter, /floppy and /USB_DRIVE were automatically created in /media whenever I inserted a medium to the devices.
There's also a new daemon named "ivman" which communicates with dbus and automounts under those folders any media that would be inserted- I don't think Arch uses ivman currently, but it shouldn't be difficult at all to implement.

Microshaft delenda est

Board footer